Campus Observance of Lent
The campus community is celebrating the season of Lent in some very concrete ways. During this “Springtime for the Soul,” join us in observing some of the following opportunities.
Lenten prayer opportunities
The season of Lent, the Church’s great retreat, invites us to slow down and spend time in prayer and reflection. During this prayerful season, we are asked to open our hearts and minds to God’s love and mercy. Students are welcome to join the following Lenten Friday activities:
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament — Spend time in quiet prayer with the community each Tuesday between 8:00 am and 9:30 pm in the Schroeder Hall Chapel and each Thursday in the Chapel of St. Therese in the Commons.
- Stations of the Cross, Examen, Adoration & Fish Fry Outings — On select Fridays this Lent, join fellow students to local parishes around Milwaukee for some hearty fish and fellowship. Before leaving, there will also be an opportunity to reflect on our journeys in Lent as a group beginning at 5:00 pm in either the Chapel of the Holy Family or the Church of the Gesu. Afterward, around 5:30 pm, groups will depart off-campus for dinner. Join us on the following dates:
- Friday, March 22, Ecumenical Stations of the Cross (Gesu) 5:00–5:30 pm — Fish Fry to follow until 7 pm
- Friday, March 29, Ignatian Contemplation (CHF) 5:00–5:30 pm — Fish Fry to follow until 7 pm
- Friday, April 5, Stations of the Cross (Gesu) 5:00–5:30 pm — Fish Fry to follow until 7 pm
- Friday, April 7, Ignatian Examen (CHF) 5:00–5:30 pm — Fish Fry to follow until 7 pm
- Celebration of the Sacrament of Reconciliation — The community will gather and celebrate the sacrament of reconciliation on Tuesday, April 9 at 7:15 pm in the Chapel of the Holy Family.
- Lenten Ignite — Join the Ignite community at the start of Lent and explore how this season can be a game changer for our lives. Ignite meets Wednesdays, 7:30-9 pm in the Chapel of the Holy Family. Connections Made. Friendships Built. Questions Explored. Faith Enriched. Inspiration Infused.
Here are some Fasting suggestions for the season:
- Fast from judging others, feast on the Christ dwelling in them
- Fast from emphasis on differences, feast on our oneness
- Fast from the darkness around us, feast on the light of Christ
- Fast from thoughts of illness, feast on the healing power of God
- Fast from words that pollute us, feast on words that purify
- Fast from withholding anger, feast on sharing feelings
- Fast from idle gossip, feast on spreading good news
- Fast from pessimism, feast on optimism
- Fast from worry, feast on trust
- Fast from guilt, feast on freedom
- Fast from complaining, feast on appreciation
- Fast from stress, feast on self-care
- Fast from hostility, feast on letting go
- Fast from bitterness, feast on forgiveness
- Fast from selfishness, feast on compassion
- Fast from discouragement, feast on hope
- Fast from apathy, feast on enthusiasm
- Fast from suspicion, feast on seeing the good
- Fast from being so busy, feast on quiet silence
- Fast from talking, feast on listening
- Fast from discontent, feast on gratitude
Students attending Masses sponsored by Campus Ministry during Lent will have the chance to contribute to Catholic Relief Services Rice Bowl project. Or, stop by Campus Ministry to drop off your donation or alms from not buying that cup of coffee anytime during the season of Lent.