Congratulations on having your child enrolled at Marquette University! Undoubtedly, you are hopeful that your son or daughter's time at Marquette will be rewarding both academically and personally. It is a common occurrence for students to seek support at the Counseling Center. Each year, we see approximately 10% of the students enrolled at Marquette. Many parents have questions as to how they can support their student if he or she is experiencing emotional concerns. Other parts of this website will inform you about our staff, appointment procedures, and eligibility criteria. In addition to that information, we have put together a list of frequently asked questions to help parents navigate working with the Counseling Center.


Explain your concerns directly and gently. It helps if you can cite specific examples about why you are concerned. Indicate that you would like them to go to the Counseling Center for an appointment and be ready with the address and phone number. You can ask them to try it out, and that there is very little risk in attending appointments.

It is, of course, the student's right not to go to the Counseling Center, in which case, you can respect their wishes but continue to express concern. If your son/daughter lives in a residence hall, you can speak to the Resident Assistant (RA)or the Residence Hall Director (RHD). RAs and RHDs are not bound by the same strict confidentiality rules that mental and physical health providers must follow. Even if talking to an RA/RHD is not possible or does not produce the desired result, please continue to check-in with your student's emotional well-being on a regular basis. There is not much point in getting into a heated discussion about getting the student to go to the Counseling Center, as there is little one can do to make students go to appointments, unless he/she is a danger to themselves or to someone else.


Once a student is 18 years or older, the student has complete control of his/her medical records. Consequently, he/she need to give written permission to allow other people access to the information. If the student will not sign a release , it is illegal for the provider to discuss the case in any way. If you would like access to your student's information, the best approach is for you to discuss your reasoning with your student.

  Legally, a release of information needs to be signed to allow us to confirm appointment attendance, even if we do not discuss appointment details.

You are free to leave information with the on-call counselor or other provider whenever you would like to do so. However, the provider cannot share any information with you, including whether appointments have been scheduled or attended, without a release of information.


Yes. The Counseling Center has someone on-call during normal business hours (8am - 4:30pm M-F) to consult on the phone and to be available for students in crisis. Call the front desk at 414-288-7172 and request to speak with the on-call provider. If the provider is with a student at the time you call, every effort will be made to return your call as soon as possible.

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS: If you have a question that has not been answered here, please feel free to call the Counseling Center at 414-288-7172. We will assist you to the best of our abilities.




Stained Glass image

Counseling Center

The Counseling Center is dedicated to promoting the psychological health of students at Marquette University. We offer mental health services to be able to respond to the emotional and career exploration needs of undergraduate, graduate and professional college students, and the prevention resources to reinforce healthy development.