EECE Colloquium Schedule 2022 - 2023
Colloquium lectures held in Olin 202, 2-3 pm
Reception to follow in Olin 204, 3-3:30 pm
All Lectures Open to the Public
Professional Development Lectures only for Graduate Students
UPCOMING - Spring 2023 speakers:
- January 17: Orientation for graduate students only
- January 24: Dr. Pankaz Das, Sr. Data Scientist at GE Healthcare, Title: Mitigating Cascading Failures in Power Grids via Markov Decision based Load-shedding
- January 31: Professional Development - Mr. Charles Giordano Topic: Summary of Fall Semester – Critical Takeaways & Discussion
- February 14: Ph.D. Club Social for Graduate Students
- February 21: Professional Development - Dr. Jennifer Black, GE Healthcare, Topic: Technical Team Leadership, a Leader's Perspective
- February 28: Mr. Mutain Zhuang, EECE doctoral graduate student, Title: EECE Computer Cluster
- March 7: Professional Development - Mr. Charles Giordano Topic: People Management – a New Leader’s Guide
- March 14: Spring Break
- March 21: Dr. James Richie, Marquette University, Associale Professor and Associate Chair of the EECE Department, Title: Electromagnetic Inverse Scattering
- March 28: Mr. Morris Panner, President of Intelerad Medical Systems, Title: Best of Both Worlds – aligning academic and industry research and in the process maybe even start your own company.
- April 4: Professional Development - Mr. Michael Washburn, GECH Chief Engineer Ultrasound Business, Topic: The Technical Career Path – thoughts and Q&A,
- April 11: Dr. Thomas Jahns, Grainger Emeritus Professor of Power Electronics and Electrical Machines WEMPEC, UW – Madison. Title: "The Promising Future of Integrated Motor Drives in Tomorrow’s E-Mobility Applications"
- April 18: Professional Development - Mr. Charles Giordano, Topic: Startups & translational research - the process and realities
- April 25: Professor Mahshid Rahnamay Naeini, University of South Florida, Title: Energy Data Analytics through the Lens of Graph Signal Processing
- May 2: Professional Development - Mr. Charles Giordano, Topic: Corporate finance basics and Course Summary, Q&A
Fall 2022 speakers:
- August 30: Orientation for graduate students only
- September 6: Professional Development - Mr. Charles Giordano
- September 13: Professional Development - Mr. Charles Giordano
- September 20: Dr. Majeed Hayat, Methods for Application-Specific Computational and Compressive Spectral Imaging: Sense Only what is Needed to Answer your Questions"
- September 27: Dr. Richard Lukas, Milwaukee Tool "When Bad Things Happen to Good Models" Pitfalls in Bringing ML to the Real World
- October 4: Professional Development - Mr. Charles Giordano
- October 11: -No colloquium
- October 18: No colloquium
- October 25: Dr. Priya Deshpande, Assistant Professor, Marquette University, "Machine Learning and Healthcare Data Interoperability"
- November 1: Professional Development - Mr. Charles Giordano
- November 8: Dr. Peng Fang, Assistant Professor, U of MN-Duluth, "Ultra-high Efficiency Power Conversion Technology for Wide Voltage Range Applications"
- November 15: Professional Development - Mr. Charles Giordano
- November 22: Dr. Manil Maskey, NASA, Sr. Research Scientist, " A Comprehensive Agenda for Data Science at NASA Science Mission Directorate"
- November 29: TBD
- December 6: Professional Development - Mr. Charles Giordano
Spring 2022 speakers:
- January 25: General introduction, goals and expectations - M. Hayat
- February 1: Professional Development - Mr. C. Giordano
- February 8: Mr. Chad Pahnke, Partner, Patent Attorney, McAndrews, Held & Malloy
- February 15: Dr. Richard Povinelli, Marquette University
- February 22: Dr. Majeed Hayat, Marquette University
- March 1: Professional Development - Mr. C. Giordano
- March 8: Professional Development - Mr. C. Giordano
- March 22: Dr. Paul Song, GE Healthcare
- March 29: Professional Development - Mr. C. Giordano
- April 5: Mr. Clay Norrbom, Juhl Energy
- April 12: Dr. Dan Ionel, University of Kentucky
- April 19: Professional Development - Mr. C. Giordano
- April 26: Dr. Mushu Li, University of Waterloo, Ontario Canada
- May 3: Professional Development - Mr. C. Giordano
- May 10: Dr. Payman Zarkesh-Ha, Professor, ECE, University of New Mexico
Fall 2021 Speakers:
- November 30: Dr. Bradley M. Ratliff, Associate Professor, The University of Dayton
"Design, Analysis, and Demosaicing Consideration for Improved Snapshot Imaging Polarimeters"
- November 9: Dr. Ashfaq Khokhar, Professor and Palmer Department Chair, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
"The Role of Engineering in Building the Next Generation of Smart Healthcare Systems"
- October 26: Dr. Philipe Ambrozio-Dias, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, "Towards Generalizable, Scalable and Explainable AI Methods for Satellite Imagery Analysis"
- October 19: Dr. Asad Azemi, Professor and Department Chair UW-Platteville
"Can Innovativeness and Entrepreneurship be Measured?"
- October 12: Dr. Nan Chen, Assistant Professor, Tennessee Tech University
"Electric Vehicle Battery State Monitoring via Magnetic Sensing"
October 5: Andrew Bochman, Senior Grid Strategist, Idaho National Laboratory (INL) National and Homeland Security directorate and Andrew Ohrt, Resilience Practice Area Lead, West Yost Associates, Duluth, MN, "How to Kill Your Company: Cyber Security Engineering for National Defense, Water Utilities, and Grid Utilities"
"How to Kill your Company: Cyber Security for National Defense, Water Utilities and Grid Utilities Webinar
"IdahoNationalLab, "CCE-Consequence-driven Cyber-informed Engineering" Video