Applying to Research at the AHPRC
The application deadline has passed and will reopen in next year.
Learn more about the goals of the AHPRC pilot award program online.
Guidelines and Requirements
- The principal investigator (PI) must be faculty from Marquette University. A Marquette post-doctoral research associate can be a PI, but a Marquette faculty must be a Co-PI on the proposal.
- Multiple PIs are encouraged. A management plan for a multiple PI award is needed.
- The awards will be granted prior to the completion of the AHPRC research space and so the research will be conducted in individual laboratories outside the immediate AHPRC. Therefore, within the proposal there must be a plan for use of AHPRC facilities and services in the future for this research.
- Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval must be obtained prior to the award and release of funds for research involving human subjects.
- Several awards will be funded up to $15,000 each.
- There will be no indirect costs.
- All funds must be spent by May 31st, 2019.
- Academic year salary for faculty will not be granted.
- Salary can be granted for research or graduate assistants to complete the work.
- Equipment requests over $4,000 in general, will not be granted.
Review of Proposals
Proposals will be reviewed over a 4-5-week period based on the National Institutes of Health (NIH) scoring system which involves a 9-point scale (1-9). Key areas to be scored are:
- Impact of the study
- Research Plan and Approach (Include feasibility to complete in 7-8 months)
- Environment and suitability to the aims of the AHPRC
- Investigators: track record and a management plan for a multiple PI award (if applicable).
- Other considerations that will affect the overall impact score and needs be addressed include how this award will lead to further funding and a plan for use of AHPRC facilities in the future for this research.
Learn more about the NIH scoring guidelines online.
Overview of Due Dates
|Open forum meeting ✓
||August 1, 2018 ✓
|Final proposal due ✓
||August 31, 2018 (4pm) ✓
|Award of funds ✓
||October 2018 ✓
|End of funding
||May 31, 2019
||June 28, 2019
Questions are to be directed to Dr. Sandra Hunter, Planning Director of the AHPRC in the Office of Research and Innovation, via email at Sandra.Hunter@marquette.edu.