- Learn about Microsoft Teams
- Download and access Microsoft Teams
- Instructors: Using Teams in your online course
- Join a Teams online class or meeting
- For Presenters: Use Spotlight in a meeting
- Using Loop components in Teams chat
- See upcoming features (and the latest features)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Recommended Teams headsets and devices
Set Background Filters in Teams
Change your camera background for Teams meetings to add privacy or express yourself with a custom image.
Marquette users can login and download university-themed backgrounds for Teams meetings.
Before the Teams Meeting
- Upon joining the meeting, turn on your camera and select the Background filters option. If you do not see background filters, make sure you are using the desktop software and not a web browser.
- A right panel shows background settings.
- You can blur your background to mask your surroundings.
- You can select an image from the choices displayed.
- Or you can click or tap Add new to upload your own background image from your computer. Be sure to use a JPG or PNG image file.
- When your background is ready, click the "x" icon to close background settings. Make sure an audio choice is selected and click or tap the Join Now button.
Once you choose a background option, Teams will use that option for future meetings you join.
During the Teams Meeting
- From the meeting controls in the upper right of the meeting window, click or tap the three-dots/more-actions icon to reveal a menu.
- Select "Apply background effects." A background settings panel appears on the right.
- Change your background settings to blur, select an image background or use "add new" to customize with your own JPG or PNG image file.
- To preview the change for just yourself, click or tap Preview. Your camera will turn off for others.
- Click or tap Apply (or "Apply and turn on video" if your camera is off).
- Click or tap the "x" icon to close the background settings right panel.
Your new background settings take effect during the Teams meeting and remain for future meetings.
Please contact the IT Services Help Desk for questions about Microsoft Teams.