- Create a meeting from a Teams channel
- Create a meeting from Outlook Calendar
- Students: Create a Teams meeting from D2L
- Instructors: Create a Teams meeting from D2L
Create a meeting from a Teams channel
You'll need a Microsoft Teams site to proceed with creating a meeting from a Teams channel. This method for creating a Teams meeting is ideal for recorded meetings, as the Microsoft Stream recording will appear linked in the Teams channel after the video is processed.
What is a Teams channel?
On Microsoft Teams, a channel is a section of a Team, used to collaborate on a specific topic. Below is the Mascot MUsings Team, with two channels:
- General channel — note that every Team has a General channel by default.
- Golden Eagle Care and Feeding channel.
Create a Teams channel meeting
- In Microsoft Teams, select Calendar on the left side of the app.
- Select New meeting in the top-right corner.
- The New Meeting screen appears. Give the meeting a name and adjust the meeting dates, start time and end time. Add any meeting details in the large text box (optional). Then click or tap the Add Channel text box to reveal a drop-down menu of Teams.
- Click or tap the triangle icon to display Team channels. Select a channel. The image below shows the "Golden Eagle Care and Feeding" channel is selected.
Private channels cannot generate Teams channel meetings. When a channel meeting is made, anyone on the Team can join the meeting.
- The selected channel appears for the meeting.
- Click or tap the Send button in the upper right corner. The channel meeting is created.
- After the meeting is created, the meeting will appear in a Teams channel conversation. But the Teams site members need to be notified.
- To notify Teams site participants of this new meeting, click or tap Reply.
- The reply text box appears. Type @team.
- You'll be prompted with the Team's name as a suggestion. Select the Team name.
- Your reply includes a mention of the Team by name, which will notify all Team members.
- After the Team mention in the text box, write a brief note about the meeting. Click or tap the paper airplane icon to send. Now all Team members are notified of the meeting.
Other ways to create Teams meetings
- Create a Microsoft Teams meeting from Outlook Calendar
- Students: Create a Teams meeting from a D2L course site
- Instructors: Create a Teams meeting from a D2L course site
Please contact the IT Services Help Desk for questions about Microsoft Teams.