Get Involved

Payment Policy

Electronic billing statements are generated at the beginning of each month to all accounts with outstanding balances. Students will receive an e-mail in their Marquette e-mail account notifying them that the e-bill is available to view in CheckMarq. It is the student's responsibility to view their e-bill and if necessary forward on to their bill payer.

A student's registration is not considered complete until all fees are paid, a student enrolls in the Marquette Monthly Payment Plan, or submits a billing authorization from an approved sponsor. Students whose accounts reflect that the payment has not been made, or that are otherwise delinquent will have a registration block, transcript block, and diploma block placed on their accounts. There will be a $100 fee for the removal of the block. Failure to pay any balance when due may result in the cancellation of a student's registration for the current academic term, referral of the account to a collection agency, legal action to collect any balance due, or any combination thereof. If the University must take legal action to collect any unpaid balance, the student will be responsible for all fees and costs incurred by the University to collect the unpaid balance. Students who do not intend to return to the university are responsible for dropping classes through the CheckMarq system and notifying their respective college office.


You have the right to expect that all members of our staff will do everything possible to assist you.

You have the right to expect to be kept informed. Marquette strives through its publications, correspondence, Web site, e-mail and other media to provide students and parents with updated information.

You have the right to question all information pertaining to our billing and payment information in accordance with the Wisconsin Consumer Protection Act.

You have the right to expect fair treatment. Marquette does not discriminate in any manner contrary to law or justice on the basis of race, color, gender, age, sexual orientation, religion, disability, veteran status or national origin in its educational programs or activities, including employment and admissions. At the same time, Marquette cherishes its right and duty to seek and retain personnel who will make a positive contribution to its religious character, goals, and mission in order to enhance the Catholic, Jesuit tradition.


You are responsible for being informed of Marquette's payment policies by reading the payment policy found in the student bulletins and online on our FAQ page and all other pertinent information.

You are responsible for satisfying all financial obligations with the university before you will be allowed to register for a subsequent term or receive an official transcript or diploma from the Registrar.

It is the student's responsibility to keep updated on his/her account balance, financial aid information and maintain current valid address information.

Billing Rights Summary — In Case of Errors or Questions about Your Bill

If you think your bill is wrong, or if you need more information about a transaction on your bill, the student should e-mail us from their Marquette e-mail account at as soon as possible. We must hear from you no later than 60 days after we send you the first bill on which the error or problem appeared.

In your email, give us the following information:

Student's name, MUID and the dollar amount of the suspected error. Describe the error and explain, if you can, why you believe there is an error. If you need more information, describe the item you are unsure of.

You do not have to pay any amount in question while we are investigating, but you are still obligated to pay the parts of your bill that are not in question. While we investigate your question, we cannot report you as delinquent or take any action to collect the amount in question.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

General Information

Payment Information


Billing Information

Marquette Monthly Payment Plan

General Information

Who do I contact if I have billing questions?

Your first point of contact is Marquette Central in person, by phone or email. You can always contact Marquette Central through the Contact Form.

Marquette Central
1250 W Wisconsin Ave
PO Box 1881, Zilber Hall, Suite 121
Milwaukee WI 53201
Phone: (414)288-4000
Fax: (414)288-4080

How do I give access to my parent to view my bill and account information?

Checkmarq provides Guest Access so that others can view grades, bursar, and/or financial aid information and make payments. With the guest username and password, individuals selected by the student, such as parents, guardians, and spouses, are able to monitor a student’s grades, financial aid, and/or tuition balances and payments. A student can grant Guest Access by following using the Guest Access Quick Link on the homepage of their Checkmarq account and following the steps required to enroll. When granting access to view Bursar information, students are given the option of adding up to two email addresses outside of the Emarq account to receive notification when an electronic bill is available to view online.

What is FERPA? How does FERPA impact communication regarding my student records, financial aid, and bursar information?

FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. Further information about FERPA can be found on the Department of Education website, and Marquette University’s policy can be found on the Office of the Registrar website.

To meet FERPA requirements and protect your privacy, the following is required to communicate with us about your information:

  • Student Marquette Central visits: require a photo ID, or if one not provided, the MUID and MCAN numbers.
  • A person visiting Marquette Central on behalf of a student: must provide the student’s MUID and MCAN.
  • Email: We must email your Marquette email account when student specific information is being provided. If you email a question from another email account, our response will be to your Marquette email account unless we are only providing general, not student specific information.
  • Phone calls: require your Marquette ID number and your MCAN.

What is the MCAN and why is it required before I can talk about my records?

In order to comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), students and their families must be able to verify their identity when contacting Marquette Central for assistance.

The Marquette Central Access Number (MCAN) is a four-digit number used in conjunction with the nine-digit Marquette ID number to help Marquette staff identify people authorized to receive information regarding a student’s account. (The MCAN is NOT associated with the online Guest Access process.)

  • Students can find the MCAN by clicking on the MCAN Quick Link on CheckMarq’s home page.
  • A student may grant authorization for others to receive financial aid, bursar or student record information (excluding grades and schedules) by providing the MCAN and the MUID.
  • The MCAN can be changed by the student in CheckMarq at any time.
  • Students should be careful when disclosing their MCAN and/or MUID numbers to help protect personal information about their finances and academic records.

I have a hold on my account, what does this mean?

The following holds are placed by our office:

  • Registration and Transcript Hold: This hold prevents a student from registering for classes and receiving academic transcripts. It is only removed when the account is paid in full.
  • Credit Hold — Do not issue refund: This type of hold prevents a student from receiving a refund check. It does not affect a student's registration or transcripts.
  • Payment Plan — Do not issue refund hold: This hold is placed when the student or the parent is enrolled on the payment plan. It prevents a refund check from running; it does not affect a student's academic transcripts or registration.
  • EOP — Do not issue refund: Students in the EOP program cannot receive a refund check unless it is requested by the EOP office. A student in EOP with any kind of hold placed by our office must speak to EOP about the hold.
  • Do not issue refund — Dropped credit hours: This hold means that a student dropped a course or courses and their financial aid must be reviewed. They are not eligible for a refund check until their aid has been reviewed by the Office of Student Financial Aid.
  • NOR—Multiple Pay Lines: This hold means that an anticipated refund is coming from multiple sources and needs to be resolved by the Office of the Bursar before the refund is issued.

Why is there a registration hold on my account from the Office of the Bursar?

Our office places a registration and transcript hold on all accounts with past due balances. This hold can only be removed when the account is paid in full.

How do I get the bursar registration hold taken off my account?

Registration and transcript holds are only removed when the account is paid in full.

Back to top

Payment Information

How do I make a payment for my account?

The Office of the Bursar accepts payment in office, online, or by mail. The listing for acceptable methods of payment can be found on the Marquette Central website.

I would like to make an international wire transfer for my balance due. How can I do that?

The Office of the Bursar accepts wire transfer payment through Flywire.

Can I pay for my tuition for the year in one payment?

No; the Office of the Bursar bills per semester, so we are unable to accept a payment for an upcoming term that has not yet been billed. If there is an overpayment made on an account, the student would be refunded the credit.

Can I make a credit/debit card payment in office?

No, credit/debit card payments can only be made online.

What are the fees for paying online?

There are no fees for making an e-payment from a checking or savings account. There is a 2.5% convenience fee that is charged if you make a credit or debit card payment.

Back to top


When am I going to receive my refund?

Refunds generate on Mondays and Thursdays. (Weeks with a university holiday may require a different schedule.) Students will receive an email notification in their Emarq account when a refund has generated.

How will my refund be given to me?

Students can sign up for direct deposit for their refund under the Bursar Quick Link tab on the homepage of their Checkmarq account. If not enrolled in direct deposit, a paper check will be available for pick up in Marquette Central.

Can someone pick up my refund check for me?

No, only the student can pick up a refund check in person. If a student is unable to come to Marquette Central to pick up the refund check, they can request to have it mailed to them by emailing Marquette Central from their Emarq account with the address to have the check sent to.

I am an EOP student and I have a credit on my account, why haven’t I gotten my refund yet?

The Office of the Bursar will generate a refund on an EOP account after we receive a request to do so from the EOP office.

I am dropping a class this semester. Will I receive a refund for the charges?

If a student drops a course, any refunds owed will be based on the official date of withdrawal as verified by the college office. The Office of the Bursar lists the withdrawal schedules online for each semester. Please note that if an undergraduate student drops a course and their remaining course load for the semester remains at 12 credits or above, there is no change to their tuition rate.

I lost my refund check, how do I get it replaced?

Contact Marquette Central to discuss. We will be able to verify if the check has been cashed or not, and issue a new one if needed.

I received a refund and I won’t need all of the money. How can I return the amount that I no longer want?

Contact Marquette Central to coordinate the return of the refund and the reduction of the loan amounts requested for the semester.

Back to top

Billing Information

I didn’t receive my bill in the mail, when are they being sent?

All bills are electronic and are available to view on a student’s Checkmarq account, or on a Guest Access account that a student has created. An email notice is sent to the student Emarq account and any Guest Access email when a bill is available to view online.

When should I expect a bill for the semester?

Initial billing statements are available for all registered students in mid-July for the fall term; in early December for the spring term; and in early May for the summer term.

What credit load do I have to carry as an undergraduate student to be charged the fulltime rate?

Undergraduate students are charged the fulltime tuition rate if they are registered for 12 credits or above. If a student is registered less than 12 credits, they are charged the per credit hour rate.

What are the fees that are being billed on my account? Are they optional?

All full-time undergraduate students are assessed the following mandatory fees each term: the Student Activity Fee, the UPass fee, the Recreation and Wellness fee, and the Medical Clinic fee. The Student Activity Fee is used by the student government to fund different events for students on campus. The UPass fee allows students to utilize the Milwaukee County Transit System throughout the term. The Recreation and Wellness fee, passed through a referendum in March 2016 by Marquette University Student Government, will support the implementation of a new recreation and wellness center. The Medical Clinic fee enables students to use the clinic on campus. Please note that the Medical Clinic fee is not a form of health insurance. The student fees are mandatory; they cannot be waived from a student account.

What are the lab fees for?
Beginning in the 2017–18 school year, students enrolled in laboratory sections can expect to be charged laboratory fees per class. Laboratory fees help ensure that students are receiving the best and most appropriate technology to enhance their learning and prepare them for competitive careers.

I will not be registered fulltime this semester. What will my tuition charges be?

Undergraduate students who are registered less than fulltime are billed at a per credit hour rate. Please refer to the Rate Guide to find current tuition rates.

Are the tuition charges for J Session classes already included in my fall semester tuition? No, tuition is charged per credit hour. The tuition rate is listed in the Rate Guide.

I am a full-time undergraduate student and I just dropped a course. Will my tuition charge change?

A full-time undergraduate student is charged a flat rate of tuition for registration. Changes will only occur if you drop below 12 credits prior to the end of the tuition adjustment period. The remaining tuition charge is based on the Withdrawal Schedule. Please be aware that dropping below 12 credits may also impact your financial aid.

Has my financial aid disbursed?

A student can view their Account Activity in their Checkmarq account to see if aid has disbursed. In order to determine why financial aid may not be on your bursar bill or is not disbursing on to your bursar account, please review the "Top 11 Reasons Why Your Financial Aid is not Appearing on you Bill" PDF.

What is the $100.00 Block Removal Fee that I have on my account?

Per the Bursar payment policy, if an account has a past due balance that is paid after November 1st for the fall term, or after March 1st for the spring term, a $100.00 Block Removal Fee is assessed at the time that the payment in full is received.

Can I use my fall term financial aid to pay my summer balance?

No. Financial aid is term-specific. For example, fall term financial aid can only be used to pay fall term charges.

I accepted new financial aid after the bill generated. When will I receive an updated bill that will include this information?

New bills do not generate if there is a change to financial aid. The Account Summary in the Student Center in Checkmarq will reflect the most up to date amounts due for the semester.

How does Federal Work Study/Marquette Student Employment apply to my bursar account?

Work Study awards are earned by working for eligible employers and collecting a biweekly pay check based on rate of pay and hours worked up to the amount of the award. These awards are not applied to Bursar accounts.

I have a 529 college savings plan that I want to use to make a payment. How am I able to have the monies sent to MU?

Contact your 529 education savings plan provider to let them know you would like to use the funds to make a payment. You will need to provide them with the payment address for the Office of the Bursar. The provider will typically issue a check directly to Marquette for the amount that is requested or you are eligible to use.

I use College Illinois, what do I need to do for Marquette to receive payment?

If this is the first time that you have used College Illinois, contact them directly to inform them that you are going to be starting at Marquette. College Illinois will then send Marquette your information, and we bill them based on their published per credit hour rate after the end of the late registration period for a semester. College Illinois will send Marquette the funds due from them in early October for the fall term, and in early March for the spring.

I am an employee of Marquette, what is tuition remission? What is my eligibility, or the eligibility of my spouse or dependents?

Information regarding employee remission can be found on the Marquette Central website. If a dependent student is eligible for remission as determined by the Human Resources office, the Office of the Bursar will have the credit automatically posted to a student account. A spouse, part time faculty member, or part time employee will need to submit a remission form to the Office of the Bursar at the beginning of an academic year to have the benefit applied to their account. 

My employer is offering to pay my tuition. What do I need to do next?

If your employer will be paying your tuition at the beginning of the semester, the Office of the Bursar will accept any vouchers or guarantee of payment from you or your employer. We will post this amount to your account as a third party payment. Any amounts remaining due after the third party credit are the responsibility of the student to pay by the published billing due date for the semester.

My employer will pay for my tuition, but only after the end of the semester. Do I still have to pay my tuition by the due date?

Yes. The Office of the Bursar will not enter a third party contract with an employer or outside organization if they will not be paying the tuition at the beginning of the term. A student will be responsible for any amounts due by the published due date. Marquette Central does provide tuition reimbursement verifications for students who need to provide proof of classes taken, grades, and/or amounts paid to their employer.

I need a form to submit to my employer to be reimbursed for tuition. How do I get that?

You can fill out a verification of enrollment/tuition form. Forward the completed request to Marquette Central for completion. Once received, it is completed within three business days, and is available for pickup or can be mailed.

What will be my tuition charge if I audit a course?

If you are a graduate student or a less than fulltime undergraduate student, your tuition charge will be reduced by 50% for the class that you are auditing.

Where can I find the room and board rates?

Room and board rates can be found on the Rate Guide on the Marquette Central website. You may also contact the Office of Residence Life. Contact the University Apartments and Off-campus Student Services office will be able to help you determine the apartment (Campus Town, Gilman, Frenn, McCabe) rates.

Why is there a housing damage charge on my account?

Please contact the Office of Residence Life for questions/details on housing damage charges.

Why am I being billed for Road Runner Cable charges? I pay for them directly to Time Warner Cable.

Please contact the Office of Residence Life if you have questions concerning your Road Runner Cable charges.

I will not be living in the dorms, am I still able to add a meal plan?

Yes, students who are not living in the dorms are eligible to have a meal plan. Contact the Office of Residence Life for more information.

Back to top

Marquette Monthly Payment Plan

I am enrolled in the payment plan. Why am I receiving bills from your office?

You will continue to receive monthly statements from our office even if you are on the payment plan. You may use them to monitor any changes in the student's account balance and to monitor our receipt of your Nelnet, formerly Tuition Management Systems (TMS), payments. New charges on a student's account will not result in an automatic contract adjustment. You will need to contact Nelnet or Marquette Central to adjust the budget for the term.

I made a payment to NelNet (formerly TMS) on the fifth of the month. Why isn't it reflected on my statement and/or my bursar account.

Your payment is due to Nelnet by the fifth of each month. The payment will be sent to Marquette University and posted to your bursar account the Friday of the following week.

It is after August 5th, but I would like to utilize the payment plan option. Am I still able to enroll for the fall term?

Yes, you may still enroll. You will owe the $35 semester enrollment fee, plus any payments that have passed. The deadline to enroll is September 15th for the fall term, or February 15th for the spring term.

I think I budgeted correctly for my payment plan, but how do I know for sure?

Please feel free to contact Marquette Central at any time during business hours (8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. CT Monday-Friday) with your budgeting questions.

I think my original budget is too high. Can I adjust my payments?

Yes, you may contact Nelnet, formerly TMS, directly to make the contract adjustment at 1-800-722-4867, or you may contact Marquette Central to have an advisor complete the adjustment for you. If you have your account set with Nelnet for ACH withdrawal for your payments, and it is within two weeks of the next due date, you will need to contact Nelnet to make the account change.

What methods of payment are available to Nelnet, formerly TMS?

You will receive a monthly electronic statement from Nelnet, formerly TMS. You may pay Nelnet directly by electronic check or credit card online or by phone. You may set up automatic payments with Nelnet who will directly debit your checking or savings account monthly. Please note that credit card payments will be charged an additional convenience fee.

Can I make my payment plan payments directly to Marquette?
No, make all payment plan payments directly to Nelnet, formerly TMS.

Can I remit payment to Nelnet, formally TMS by check?
No, Nelnet does not accept payments by personal check. Remit payment to Nelnet electronically using your bank account and routing number.

Why was my contract terminated?

If you fail to make two monthly payments in a row, Nelnet, formerly TMS, will terminate your contract. The remaining amount will be due in full to the Office of the Bursar.

Can I reactivate my terminated contract?

In some cases you may reactivate your terminated contract. If approved, you will be charged a reactivation fee of $25, in addition to the remittance of all missed payments.

I have not yet received my financial aid package. How do I determine a budget?
You will need to budget without your financial aid. When you do receive notification of your aid package, you may decrease your contract to reflect the amount of your aid.

Can I sign up for a payment plan for the summer?

There are no payment plans available for the summer. Payment is due in full by the published due date.

Is there a way to set up a payment plan while I am in your office?

Students and parents cannot sign up for the MMPP in our office. You can enroll online, or by phone with Nelnet, formerly TMS, at 1-800-722-4867.


Back to top



The Office of the Bursar produces semester bills, processes student payments and credits student accounts with financial aid. Semester bills include tuition, housing charges, and other applicable fees.

Find information about...

Trouble finding something? Contact the Office of the Bursar