Get Involved

The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) does not identify and exclude tax return IRA and/or Pension distributions that have been rolled over into another account. If you have an IRA and/or Pension Rollover on your 2016 Federal IRS Income Tax Return, review this chart to learn what happens and how to update the FAFSA information.

Tax Return IRA and Pension Rollovers and IRS DRT

What Happens with Your 2016 IRA and/or Pension Rollover when you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)?

If you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to complete your FAFSA, the following will happen:

If an amount greater than $0 is transferred from the IRS into the Untaxed Portions of IRA Distributions field or the Untaxed Portions of Pensions field in the FAFSA form, you will be required to answer a new question about whether or not that amount includes a rollover. If you answer “yes,” you will be required to provide the amount of the rollover in a new entry field. The amount you report as the rollover amount will then be subtracted from the amount of the IRA or Pension distribution that was transferred from the IRS.


What Should You Do If You Have a 2016 IRA or Pensions Rollover when you did not/could not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)?

Step #1:

Do not attempt to correct the information yourself.

Enter the tax information exactly as it is shown on your IRS Form 1040/1040A


Step #2:

Provide the following to Marquette Central:  

A written notice/request for correction to your FAFSA Untaxed IRA and/or Pension Rollover;    

A copy of Page 1 of your Federal 2016 IRS Federal Income Tax Return;  

A copy of IRS Form 1099-R for all IRA or Pension distributions.


Once your documentation is received, it will be reviewed and processed.



Previous Page | Next Page

Quick Navigation
Guidelines for the Verification Process
I've been selected for Verification!
Am I eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT)?
IRS Data Retrieval Tool - I am eligible
IRS Data Retrieval Tool - My data is not available to transfer
IRS Data Retrieval Tool - I am NOT eligible
I've filed an IRS tax extension
>What to do about IRA and/or Pension Rollovers
I had to amend my 2016 Tax Return; filed a 1040X
How to Request a Tax Return Transcript
How to Request IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter



The Office of Student Financial Aid provides undergraduate and graduate students with resources about types of financial aid and student employment.

FAFSA School Code: 003863

Questions or for more information, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid