Problem Solver Seed Grants
The Center for Teaching and Learning Program announces mini-grants available to full- or part-time faculty members who wish to integrate service learning and/or community-based research.
In order to promote the use of service learning and undergraduate community-based research as high-impact pedagogy, the Center for Teaching and Learning's Service Learning Program supports community partner and faculty collaboration(s) through these small seed grants. These grants average $500 each. Grants will be awarded to faculty and community partner teams working to address critical social justice issues in the Milwaukee community. Projects should equally benefit both the university and the nonprofit partner. Projects must be curricular in nature, related to a particular course’s learning objectives.
Read about examples of previously funded projects.
Funds could be used to cover the cost of transportation, materials and supplies, communication costs, refreshments, data analysis software, incentives, rental fees, conference fees, guest speakers, etc.
- Projects MUST have a curricular component (i.e., service learning course, community-based learning). The Service Learning Program’s goal is to increase the number and quality of high-impact teaching practices on campus and respond to critical needs in our own city through meaningful engagement. For more information, see High Impact Practices.
- Faculty and community partner(s) need to agree on the best use of the money to create mutually beneficial outcomes. The community partner should be identified and should be consulted in the development of the project.
- With the support of the Service Learning Program staff, faculty will be asked to assess both student learning and community impact. This information needs to be provided to the Center for Teaching and Learning for assessment purposes by the end of the semester.
- Faculty will be asked to present on their projects at an appropriate venue as arranged by the Center for Teaching and Learning.
- The Service Learning Program encourages recipients to take advantage of opportunities for publication and presentations about these innovative projects.
- All Marquette faculty are invited to participate. New project ideas will be given priority.
Deadline: Applications will be considered as they are received.