- Download Microsoft Teams
- How to Join a SPARK@Home Teams Meeting
- Troubleshooting your Home Network
- IT Services Help Desk
Microsoft Teams for SPARK@Home
Welcome! We'll see you online during SPARK@Home.
What's Microsoft Teams? How do I get ready to use Teams?
- Microsoft Teams is collaboration software, and you will be using Teams to attend online meetings for SPARK@Home.
- Before downloading the free Teams software, select a device with a large screen for the Teams installation. Think desktop or laptop rather than mobile phone. A bigger screen will make viewing easier when material is covered.
- You will need a microphone, which is built into most laptops, and a webcam if you want to share video of yourself.
- Download Microsoft Teams and install the software — if it's not already installed on your device. While Teams offers a web version, you get the best experience using the software.
- Be sure your network connection is optimal. Clarify expectations with others who use your network. Streaming videos and online gaming on your network will compete with your SPARK@Home online meetings.
How do I set up Teams for SPARK@Home?
Make sure you know your Marquette email address and password. You'll need both to sign in to Teams (and your eMarq email account).
- After downloading Teams and installing the software, launch Teams on your device.
- When prompted by Teams, enter your Marquette email address, which usually follows the format of email@example.com. Click or tap Sign in.
- Enter your Marquette password. Click or tap Sign in.
- If your forgot your Marquette password and you registered a phone number or secondary email address for password recovery, follow these steps to reset your password.
- If you forgot your Marquette password and did not set up password recovery, contact the IT Services Help Desk at (414) 288-7799.
For meetings with your Marquette college, the Teams join link will be sent via email.
Where can I find the join links for my Teams meetings?
- College Meeting (Day 1 - required) — including the essential join link for Teams online meetings — will be sent via email to your eMarq inbox. Sign in to your eMarq account at https://outlook.office.com/ to access the message. Click or tap the join link for the online meeting.
- Group Meeting (Day 1 - required), Advising Assistance (Day 2 - optional), and SPARK Leader Support (Day 2 - optional) will appear as events on your Calendar in Teams. Or sign in to your eMarq email account at https://outlook.office.com/ and select the Calendar icon on the bottom left. Find the calendar event and open it. Click or tap the Join button.
How do I join my Teams meetings for SPARK@Home?
- The key to joining a Teams online meeting is have the join link (via email) or join button (via calendar). Please do not share join meeting information with others.
- Follow these steps to join a Teams meeting for SPARK@Home.
What should know about participating in a Teams meeting?
- After joining the online meeting in Teams, familiarize yourself with the Teams controls.
- Be sure you know where the Mute icon is because you might be using this feature the most. If you are not speaking, you should have your microphone muted. Click or tap the Mute icon to unmute before speaking.
- See who is attending the meeting by clicking or tapping the Participants icon.
- Have something to say? Let the meeting leader know by clicking or tappping the Raise hand icon. Alerts for raised hands appear at bottom of the Teams screen and in the participant list (when shown as a right column).
- If you start speaking and you have the Mute icon enabled, Teams will prompt you with "Your microphone is muted."
- If you are using the Teams desktop software or mobile apps, you can activate real-time closed captioning in case of a sudden audio loss. Go to the "More Actions" three-dot menu and select "Turn on live captions (preview)." Once activated, the closed captioning will only appear for you.
- To reveal the chat column, click or tap the Group chat icon. View replies and enter text in the chat column on the right. Note that this is group chat for all to see — not one-on-one chat.
- To exit the meeting, click or tap the Leave Meeting icon.
How can I troubleshoot issues on my home network?
If you encounter issues on your home network, see this troubleshooting guide. Marquette's IT Services cannot troubleshoot your home network, but your Internet Service Provider can assist.
Need more help?
For help with Microsoft Teams, please contact the IT Services Help Desk.