International Study Policies

Policy on Study Abroad

All students seeking academic credit for studies outside of the United States must apply to study abroad through the Office of International Education (students from outside the College of Business) or the College of Business (students from the College of Business) by the appropriate deadline.

Eligibility Requirements

  • Minimum GPA Requirement: At the time of application, students must meet a required minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA. Please note that some programs may have a higher minimum GPA requirement.
  • Minimum Class Standing: Students can study abroad as soon as the summer after their freshmen year or, if a transfer student, after completing at least one semester at Marquette University.
  • Conduct: Students must be in good academic, financial and disciplinary standing in order to apply to study abroad. See policy on disciplinary status below.

Non-Marquette Programs

Students wishing to study on programs that have not been approved by Marquette (please see program list) are required to follow the petition policy for study abroad through non-Marquette programs. See policy below.

Maintaining Full-time Status

After being approved to study abroad, students will receive instructions regarding how to register for a study abroad placeholder course in CheckMarq, which will hold their place as a full-time student (less than full-time for summer) at Marquette during their term abroad. Students must register for this course by the specified deadline. Students who do not register for the study abroad placeholder by the end of the term prior to study abroad will be withdrawn from their study abroad program.

Receiving Credit

Students participating on faculty-led programs or the South Africa Service Learning Program will receive Marquette credit and grades.

Credits taken on all other programs will be considered for transfer credit. Study Abroad transfer credit will only be accepted by Marquette University if the Marquette University student applied, and was approved, through the Office of International Education or Office of International Business Studies prior to the October 1 deadline for spring programs and prior to the March 1 deadline for summer, fall, and academic year programs. Failure to apply and receive approval by the deadlines stated above will result in denial of the credit transfer upon return to Marquette University. Additionally, to receive credit for courses taken abroad, students must earn a grade that is equivalent to a 'C' or better. Classes cannot be taken as a Pass/Fail while abroad. Students receive information about the grading and credit system of their specific program during the application process.

Orientation Attendance

All students accepted to study abroad are required to attend the in-person study abroad orientation prior to departure. This is a mandatory meeting and must be attended in full. During the orientation, OIE will discuss academic expectations and safety. Students will also have the opportunity to meet with program alumni if available.

If a student is unable to attend the in-person orientation, ONLY because of academic or NCAA exceptions, there will be only one opportunity to make up this requirement. If a student fails to attend either orientation, the student will be withdrawn from his or her study abroad program.

Health Insurance

Students will automatically be enrolled in GeoBlue insurance for the dates of their study abroad program. This insurance is required for all students studying abroad and will be billed to students through their Checkmarq account. This insurance cannot be waived. There are some programs or countries that also have insurance requirements or automatic enrollment; however, the GeoBlue policy will still be required for students for continuity of health and safety response.

Back to Top

Policy on Academic/Disciplinary Status and Study Abroad

Students who are currently on academic or disciplinary probation may not apply to study abroad the following term. Students may only begin the application process for study abroad after their academic or disciplinary probation period has been completed.

Students who have been approved by Marquette to study abroad following the October 1 and March 1 deadlines must remain in good standing for the remainder of the term prior to studying abroad.

Academic Status

Students subject to certain academic regulations prior to departure may be dismissed from their study abroad program. Students generally have the option to appeal a decision. If the student does not submit an appeal by the deadline or if an appeal is not granted, that student will be dismissed from their study abroad program. Status changes impacting a student’s ability to study abroad include:

  • Required to Withdraw for Academic Reasons (RWAR)
  • Required to Withdraw for Academic Misconduct (RWAM)
  • College Academic Alert (CAA)

Visit the Marquette Academic Regulations Website for more information.

Disciplinary Status

Any conduct violations which occur between acceptance and the actual term of study abroad will be reviewed by the Office of Student Development and the Office of International Education and will necessitate a follow-up advising session.

Students whose conduct between the time of acceptance to study abroad and the term of study abroad which results in University probation or greater consequence will not be approved to study abroad and will be responsible for any non-refundable or non-recoverable fees owed to the study abroad program.

For all other conduct violations during this time that do not result in University probation, a follow-up interview will be required.

Back to Top

Policy on Degree-Seeking Marquette International Students Studying Abroad

Students enrolled as degree-seeking international students at Marquette University that wish to study in their home country through a MU partner program and enroll through MU sponsorship are considered MU students studying abroad and need to comply with all study abroad processes and procedures including insurance, waivers, etc. These students may also be counted as exchange students under an existing bilateral agreement.

If a MU student returns to their home country and takes any course work not sponsored by MU, they are not considered MU study abroad students for compliance purposes. Credits can be transferred to MU through the course approval and credit transfer process.

Contact the Office of International Education with any questions.

Back to Top

Policy on Tuition Remission for Study Abroad

Marquette Faculty/Staff children (FACH): Tuition remission for Marquette Faculty and Staff children (FACH) may be applied to the tuition for study abroad on Marquette-approved sponsored, exchange, home-billed and summer special billing Marquette programs at 100%. Tuition remission for FACH students on faculty-led programs will be determined on a case-by-case basis, as these are cost-recovery programs.

Student applications for FACH tuition remission will be vetted by OIE based on the following criteria:

  • Seniority
  • Combination of major, year in school, and proposed term of study abroad (i.e. OIE will review the possibility of a student studying abroad in a future semester based on the student’s academic program)
  • Quality of application in terms of seriousness of purpose and demonstrated ability to perform well in the overseas academic environment

To be eligible to apply the tuition benefit, a student must be degree-seeking and enrolled for on-campus study at Marquette on a full-time, continual basis (unless advised by appropriate academic counselors to attend on a part-time basis) in one of the university's undergraduate, graduate or professional schools (eligibility for professional schools is limited) or in a recognized degree credit program. The benefit for individual courses taken at Marquette does not apply to dependent students who are enrolled on a full- or part-time degree-seeking basis at a college or university other than Marquette.

Non-Marquette Faculty and Staff Children Exchange Program (FACHEX): Undergraduate tuition remission for the Faculty and Staff Children Exchange Program (FACHEX Program) may be applied to the tuition for Marquette-approved study abroad programs which are full-term, semester-long programs and are held in either the fall or spring semester. This includes sponsored, exchange and home-billed programs. FACHEX awards cannot be used for summer, J-term or faculty-led study abroad programs. Should a FACHEX recipient choose to participate in any of these programs, they do so without the aid provided by the FACHEX award.

Students receiving a FACHEX award who are interested in a study abroad program should contact the Office of International Education to confirm that a specific program is included. Students should also notify the Office of the Provost of the intent to participate and the semester during which they will study abroad.

In all cases participants in eligible study abroad programs under the dependent tuition remission program (FACH or FACHEX) are required to pay any non-tuition related program fees.

Need More Help? If you have more questions about Marquette's tuition remission policy for study abroad, please contact your study abroad coordinator.

Back to Top

Petition Policy for Study Abroad Through Non-Marquette Programs

Students wishing to study on programs that have not been approved by Marquette (please see program list for approved programs) are required to first meet with a study abroad coordinator in person to discuss the student’s program preferences, eligibility and goals. Please note that all non-Marquette programs must have transcripts issued by an accredited educational institution per guidelines outlined in Marquette’s undergraduate bulletin. Business students should meet with the Office of International Business Studies and all other students should meet with a coordinator in the Office of International Education. Once the student and coordinator determine that a non-Marquette program is the best fit, then the coordinator will open a non-Marquette online application enabling the student to petition to participate in the selected program. All application requirements must be completed by the study abroad deadline. Applications are reviewed as they are submitted up until the study abroad deadline and approval is not guaranteed.

If the petition is approved, students must attend orientation and comply with all procedures and policies for study abroad students.

If the petition is not approved, students will be allowed to apply for Marquette or external approved study abroad programs, but will need to do so before the application deadline outlined above. This means students should plan ahead and submit their petitions well before the application deadline. Transfer credit will not be accepted for students studying on unapproved programs. A student choosing to pursue a semester of academic year study abroad program not approved by the Office of International Education or the College of Business are required to take a leave of absence from the university. Dropping below full-time status or completely withdrawing from your program may have an effect on your financial aid package or Marquette scholarships.

Back to Top

Policy Regarding Withdrawal and Financial Responsibility

Before studying abroad, students must review and sign a budget sheet and finances agreement. This agreement outlines a student's financially responsibility if they withdraw:

By signing this document, I confirm that I understand the financial details for my study abroad program. Financial details include estimated and specific costs for travel documents and visas, tuition and any onsite classes, housing, meals, transportation, extracurricular activities, and personal expenses. I also understand the billable costs will be billed to my MU bursar account and all non-billable costs will be paid to other external entities and will NOT be billed via Marquette.

I further understand that my withdrawal from a program after acceptance will not guarantee a full refund of my tuition or program fees. Refunds for fees paid or owed to Marquette University will be based on expenses the OIE is able to recover on my behalf. I agree to be financially responsible for unrecoverable expenses and pre-paid expenses made on my behalf. Refunds for non-billable costs paid to external entities are subject to the external entity's withdrawal policies.

If you have questions regarding these costs, please contact your study abroad coordinator.

Back to Top

Power of Attorney

Students should consider setting up the following types of Power of Attorney prior to studying abroad.

Medical Power of Attorney

A medical power of attorney allows a student to assign an individual to speak on their behalf in the event the student is not able to make decisions for themselves.

Legal Power of Attorney

A legal power of attorney allows a student to assign an individual to make decisions on their behalf while they are abroad, specifically with regards to their finances.
The State of Wisconsin has basic power of attorney forms available online, accessible here:, or students should consult an attorney. The Office of International Education and Marquette University cannot provide you or your parents with legal advice as to the appropriate Power of Attorney form to complete, it is up to you as to whether this form is sufficient and meets your needs. If you have questions, you will need to contact an attorney for guidance.

Back to Top