Study abroad students from Marquette



The department of your major or minor determines if courses taken abroad will apply toward your major or minor. You should declare your major before you go abroad. This will enable you to meet at least once with your major adviser to discuss incorporating a study abroad experience into your major. The college will determine if courses taken abroad will apply toward the university core or college curriculum requirements.

If you are a science major, you should work very closely with your adviser. Courses in the sciences tend to be sequential. If you miss the first course in the sequence, you might discover it is not offered the semester you return and you will therefore have to wait another year before continuing the sequence. You should also work closely with your department if you want to take any science courses abroad.

If you are a social and cultural sciences major and want to do an internship during your senior year, you must contact Deborah Crane before leaving to study abroad. Internships can't be coordinated via correspondence from abroad.

Questions? Need course approval?

1) Seek study abroad advising and general course planning advice from an adviser in the Office of International Education.

2) If credit is sought for a major or minor, visit your department's designated representative with your completed course approval form including full course descriptions. Please note the preferences of your department for approving courses (setting up an appointment, dropping off the materials, etc.). 

3) Upon obtaining departmental signatures, take the course approval form to the College Records office, Sensenbrenner Hall, Room 004, for approval of any University Core of Common Studies courses, college curriculum courses or general electives. You must provide full course descriptions for these courses. The form will then be reviewed, and a copy will be returned to you with final authorization. This process generally takes at least two weeks, so please plan accordingly.

4) Lastly, you must submit a copy of the approved form to the Office of International Education.



Office of International Education

OIE works to promote the internationalization of Marquette University by recruiting and advising international students and scholars, developing vibrant partnerships with international institutions and providing innovative study abroad opportunities.
Office of International Education