Hector Peterson School implements a formal Restorative Justice program for students who have violated school rules. The students who violate the rules are referred to what is called the “Peer Jury.” Peer Jury--is a youth centered program in which student volunteers (10-15 learners) hear cases of delinquent acts or school offenses. Peer juries are overseen by and adult coordinator (Service Learner) with the youth volunteers acting as jurors.
Service Learner Responsibilities:
- Co-Facilitate Peace Circle group of Hector Peterson Learners 2-3 days per week for a total of 1-3 hours. (Includes preparation at school before group session). This will be done with a South African co-Facilitator.
- Before school help assist with and English Tutoring Program. 2 Days per week from 8-4:30.
- Create activities to connect with United States Learners via online blog, update blog regularly.
- Before leaving for South Africa meet to discuss the program and shadow at Milwaukee schools if possible.
- Research Restorative Justice Peace Circles before leaving for Cape Town.
E-mail Kathleen Scott for more information!