Janis Doleschal, L.L.M.
Janis Doleschal's career includes serving as the Commissioner of Sports and Athletics for the Milwaukee Public Schools (MPS) from 1974 to 2002. During her last ten years at MPS, she was responsible for the administration of all high school interscholastic athletics and interscholastic academics as well as the pre-kindergarten through elderly sports programs in the Milwaukee Recreation Department of the school district.
Janis is a well-known lecturer on risk management in sports and has lectured at state and national conferences as well as in South Africa, Holland and the United Kingdom. She has been a member of the Marquette Law School NSLI Board of Advisers, and has also served on numerous committees for the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association, and on both the WIAA Advisory Council and Board of Control. Among numerous awards for her work in athletics, Janis was inducted into the Wisconsin Sports Hall of Fame in 1999 for her work as an athletic administrator.
- Legal and Ethical Athletic Leadership
- Anglia Polytechnic University Law School, L.L.M.
- Trinity Theological Seminary, M.Div.
- UW-Milwaukee, M.A.
- UW-LaCrosse, B.S.
- Commissioner of Sports and Athletics - Milwaukee Public Schools
(1974 - 2002)
- Founder, Start Playing Safe (2002 - 2010)
- Pierski & Gray, LLP, Legal Consultant (2002 - 2008)
- Instructor, Physical Education/English, Homestead High School
- Risk Management
Other University Affiliations
- Adjunct Faculty - Viterbo University, LaCrosse (2010-Present)
- Adjunct Faculty - University of Wisconsin, LaCrosse (2005-2009)
- Professor of English - Milwaukee Area Technical College (1972-1974)
- National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association - Distinguished Service Award (2007)
- Wisconsin Scorers and Timers - Lifetime Achievement Award (2003)
- Wisconsin Sports Hall of Fame Induction (1999)
- U.S. Postal Service, "Women Putting Their Stamp on Milwaukee" Award, Sports Category (1999)
- Women's Sports Advocates of Wisconsin - Lifetime Achievement Award (1998)
- American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance - Wisconsin Pathfinder Awards (1998)
- Milwaukee Board of School Directors - Excellence in Education Award (1997)
- National Council of Secondary School Athletic Directors - Wisconsin Athletic Director of the Year (1997)
- Wisconsin Athletic Directors - Excellence in Education Award (first woman to receive this award - 1997)
- Wisconsin Athletic Directors Association, District 7 - Athletic Director of the Year (1997)
- Special Olympics, Inc. - Risk Management and Insurance Task Force (2005-Present)
- Group Insurance Board for State of Wisconsin (2004-Present)
- Wisconsin Sports Hall of Fame - Selection Committee (2000-Present)
- National Sports Law Institute - Board of Advisers (1995-Present)
- Women's Sports Advocates of Wisconsin - Board of Directors, Banquet Planning Committee (1990-Present)
- National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association (1986-Present)
- Wisconsin Athletic Director's Association (1974-Present)
- Special Olympics Wisconsin - Board of Directors (2003-2009)
- MPS Adaptive Athletics Advisory Committee Chair (2002-2003)
- MPS Special Olympics Committee (1998-2003)
- Milwaukee Brewers Youth Baseball Committee (1998-2002)
- Author of The Parent-Athlete Handbook for 17 Wisconsin school districts
- Author of The Coaches Procedure Manual for five Wisconsin school districts
- Managing Risk in Interscholastic Athletic Programs, Marquette Sports Law Review (Fall 2006)
- Numerous articles in Interscholastic Athletic Administrator (1995-2002)
- Over 50 presentations to high school coaching groups re: risk management (2002-2011)
- NSLI Sports Conferences (2004, 2009)
- International Conference of Police Chaplains Regional Conference (2009)
- National Louis University (2008)
- Wisconsin Athletic Director's Association Conference (1990, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2006)
- Lorman Educational Seminar, "Student Athletic Programs and the Law in Wisconsin" (January, 2004)
- University of Cape Town Sports Law Conferences (2003, 2004)
- National Interscholastic Athletic Administrators Association Convention (1996, 1997, 1998, 2001)
- Wisconsin State Bar Association State Conventions (1994, 1998)