Date: Monday, November 4, 2013
Time: 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Location: AMU Ballrooms CDE
Sponsor: Kohl’s Corporate
Lead: Presentation by Laura Kestner-Ricketts, Director, Career Services Center
Professionalism encompasses a person’s behavior, appearance, and workplace ethics. People who have high standards of professionalism are frequently perceived as being more credible and reliable than their co-workers.
Anyone can learn the Art of Professionalism and ultimately become one. This event will focus on professional behavior in everyday situations, at networking events, and in the workplace plus cover dining etiquette and building a professional wardrobe. Appetizers will be served.
Thanks to generous sponsorship by Kohl’s, there is no registration fee and at the conclusion of the event you will be given a professional MU Career Services padfolio.
Student Information – REGISTRATION
Register on MU Career Manager with the following steps:
- Log on to MU Career Manager
- Click on CAREER EVENTS on the menu at the top of the page
- Choose Workshops as the category
- Choose The Art of Professionalism
- Click on REGISTER button
- Fill out online registration form
What to expect
- Dress will be business casual or better.
The following are examples of appropriate business‐casual dress:
- For women: A reasonable length skirt or dress pants of a non‐jeans material combined with a top (such as a dress shirt, polo, or cardigan set) is considered acceptable. An informal dress with appropriate skirt length is also acceptable.
- For men: A combination of collared shirt (such as a dress shirt or polo shirt), dress pants (such as khakis or blue, brown, or black trousers) with a belt. Jeans are not acceptable business casual attire. A blazer or business jacket can optionally be added.
- Unacceptable for either gender: rumpled or ripped clothing, T‐shirts, miniskirts, underwear as outerwear, inappropriately revealing attire such as bare midriffs, and flip‐flops.
- A coat rack will be provided
- Check in and pick up your nametag anytime between 4:45 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Choose your seat; if you come with friends you may sit together
- The program is a mix of information sharing and hands-on activities
- At the completion of the event each student attendee will be given a professional MU Career Services padfolio
4:45 p.m. Doors open and check in begins
5:00 p.m. Program Begins
- Everyday Life: The art of conversation
- Everyday Life: Greetings and Introductions
- Everyday Life: E-Manners
- At the Table
- Networking: Networking reception with appetizers
- In the Workplace
- Building a Professional Style
7:00 p.m. Event Ends
- Each attendee will be given a professional MU Career Services padfolio