MOST IMPORTANT THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW...
- Now is the time to search for private scholarships for the 2015-16 academic year. As you identify scholarships that are not currently accepting applications, bookmark or print the webpage and file the printout in your scholarship folder for future reference. There are innumerable sources of outside assistance. Click here to begin your search.
IT’S TIME TO START THINKING ABOUT APPLYING FOR FINANCIAL AID FOR THE 2015-16 ACADEMIC YEAR
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION FOR ALL NEED BASED ASSISTANCE IN 2015-16:
DON’T WAIT, ESTIMATE!
- We highly recommend both you and your parents file 2014 Federal Tax Returns early and electronically.
- Do not wait to file the FAFSA until your tax returns have been filed.
- Use income estimates and file your FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov between January 1, 2015 and February 15, 2015 in order to meet Marquette’s March 1 priority deadline.
- Be prepared to provide student and parent PINs when submitting the FAFSA.
SUBMIT ALL REQUESTED DOCUMENTS ON TIME
- Access and read your Marquette email on a regular basis. Important notices are sent via email from our office and the Office of Student Financial Aid regarding important deadlines and documents you are required to submit.
- Make sure you regularly check your ‘To Do List’ in your CheckMarq Student Center for documents you need to submit or actions you need to take.
- Pay special attention to deadlines and make sure you take action and/or submit documents within the timeframe noted on any correspondence you receive.
IF YOUR FAFSA WAS SELCTED FOR VERIFICATION, COMPLETE THE FAFSA IRS DATA RETRIEVAL PROCESS
Starting in February 2015, the 2015-16 IRS Data Retrieval Tool will be available at www.fafsa.gov.
After you and your parents submit 2014 tax returns to the IRS, allow two weeks if you filed electronically and six to eight weeks if you submitted paper documents for your returns to be available for retrieval on the IRS website.
If eligible, choose the IRS Data Retrieval Toolto transfer your and your parent’s 2014 tax data from the IRS website to your 2015-16 FAFSA.
By selecting the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, your tax-related information is automatically transferred to the FAFSA.
Do not make any changes to the transferred IRS data.
For Eligibility Criteria and an IRS Data Retrieval Tutorial, visit http://mu.edu/mucentral/verify1516.
Parents and/or students who estimated income on the 2015-16 FAFSA must go back to www.fafsa.gov, select “Login” and use the IRS Data Retrieval Toolafter tax returns are filed. The FAFSA Central Processor will send an email reminder to those who provide a valid email address on the FAFSA.
For Amended Returns or Tax Filing Extensions, visit http://mu.edu/mucentral/verify1516
THINGS TO TAKE CARE OF AS THE 2014-15 AID YEAR WINDS DOWN…
- If you or Marquette have not received private scholarships you were awarded for the 2014-15 Aid Year, let EOP Financial Aid staff know if you need assistance obtaining your funds.
- We have completed the first “mass disbursement” of refunds for Spring Term 2015.
- If you notice you have a credit balance (indicated by a minus sign preceding your Bursar balance on your ‘Finances’ page on CheckMarq, contact our office to see if you are eligible to have these funds refunded to you. It is our policy to shelter half your refund for disbursement during Mid Terms but if you have a credit balance, let us know if you would like us to request your refund prior to then.
- If you have not done so already, SIGN UP FOR DIRECT DEPOSIT via the ‘Sign up for direct deposit refunds or student payroll’ link under your CheckMarq> Finances>My Account tab.
BE SURE YOU HAVE ACCEPTED OR DECLINED YOUR LOANS AND FEDERAL WORK STUDY (FWS)
- Go to the “Accept/Decline My Financial Aid” link in your CheckMarq account.
- Accept or decline any loans or FWS you have been offered for the 2014-15 Aid Year.
- Accepting your Federal Stafford Loan(s) may trigger the need to complete entrance counseling and sign a master promissory note (MPN). Go to StudentLoans.gov for additional information.
- Accepting your Perkins Loan will trigger the need to take additional action. Follow the instructions in the email sent by signmyloan.com.