MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU NEED TO KNOW...
BE PREPARED FOR SPRING TERM 2016 REGISTRATION
- Early registration for Spring Term 2016 (by appointment) begins on Monday, November 9, 2015. If you have an outstanding/delinquent balance on your Bursar account and you have not made special arrangements with our office to cover that balance, you will have a registration hold on your account and you will not be able to register for Spring Term 2016 classes.
- Go to CheckMarq to review your Bursar balance and messages appearing in the Holds/Important Information box. If you see the message ‘Bursar Reg and Transcript Hold’, you have a registration hold on your account. You must either pay your outstanding Fall Term 2015 balance in full or meet with Jackie Walker to discuss options to clear your registration hold.
- If you have a registration hold, it is YOUR responsibility to take all necessary action to remove your hold.
- HOLDS ARE NOT IMMEDIATELY REMOVED FROM YOUR ACCOUNT. Once you have met the necessary requirements for your hold to be lifted, it takes an average of 24 hours for your access to registration to be restored.
OTHER THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW…
REGISTER FOR AT LEAST 12 CREDITS FOR SPRING TERM 2016
- With rare exceptions, the financial aid you have been awarded for the 2015-16 academic year is based on the fact you will be enrolled full-time during each semester.
- When you are registering or adding/dropping classes for Spring Term 2016, be SURE you are enrolled for at least 12 credits. Your financial aid will be impacted if you are enrolled for 11 credits or less when financial aid is disbursed to your Bursar account.
THERE IS A NEW PROCEDURE TO ACCESS FAFSA AND STUDENT LOAN WEBSITES
- FAFSA pin numbers are now invalid for students and parents. If you have not done so already, you and your parent(s), if applicable, must create a new Username and Password at www.fafsa.ed.gov before January 1, 2016 to apply for financial aid or to complete a Stafford loan promissory note.
- Although PIN numbers are no longer valid, you will need your PIN number to verify your identity if you still need to register for your new Username and Password.
- The Federal Student Aid website administered by the Department of Education can also answer questions you may have about the Username/Password requirement. Click here for additional information.
- Access and read your Marquette email on a regular basis. Important notices are sent via email from our office, the Office of Student Financial Aid, and the Bursar’s Office regarding important deadlines, documents you are required to submit, and information about your Bursar balance.
- Pay special attention to deadlines and make sure you take action and/or submit documents within the timeframe noted on any correspondence you receive.
- Make sure you regularly check your ‘To Do List’ in your CheckMarq Student Center for documents you need to submit or actions you need to take.
THIS AND THAT…
- Beware of scholarship or financial aid scams that request payment to receive information on scholarships or other forms of financial aid. You should never pay to receive scholarship information or apply for financial aid.
- If you have not done so already, sign up for Direct Deposit with the Office of the Bursar. This feature allows you to designate a bank account for the direct deposit of any refunds requested on your behalf. No more tracking down paper checks and running to the bank or ATM to make an in-person deposit. Click here for instructions on how to sign up for this timesaving feature.
- If you are interested in or are planning to Study-Abroad for Spring Term 2016, please meet with Jackie Walker to discuss how your financial aid will be affected.
- Clean up your financial aid records. Go to your CheckMarq account and review your 2015-16 Aid Award. Accept or decline loans and/or Federal Work Study that are still listed as Offered but have not been Accepted or Declined.
- Even though the academic year is in full swing, it’s still not too late to apply for outside, private scholarships. There are innumerable sources of assistance available. Click here to begin your search.
- We also encourage you to consider scholarship opportunities managed by Scholarship AMERICA. Several open scholarships are listed on their website. Click here for additional information. All scholarships are time sensitive with rolling deadline dates. Check out their current offerings now!