Address: Multiple meeting locations throughout Milwaukee
Days/Hours of Service: Usually 7pm on weeknights
Description of Agency: Common Ground develops solutions to our communities’ toughest problems – together. This is done through their Issue Campaigns. Common Ground brings the city and the suburbs together by identifying issues, making specific plans, and taking action. Common Ground builds long term relationships with a wide range of people – business leaders, elected officials, school leaders, other community groups – because they believe we need to work with others to get our goals accomplished. Common Ground is a growing force in Southeastern Wisconsin. Some of Common Ground's Issue Campaigns include:
- Increasing police presence in Milwaukee neighborhoods
- Working with the City of Milwaukee to add 3,000 jobs to the Youth Jobs Program
- Getting five of the world’s largest banks to give $31M to maintain and rehab foreclosed properties in Milwaukee
- Addressing the healthcare crisis by creating our own healthcare cooperative
- Working to make sure all of our children get a quality education
- Ensuring $150 million of the publicly acquired money to fund the new Bradley Center arena
to update Milwaukee County public school athletic facilities and recreational spaces (Fair play initiative)
Student Role in Agency: Service learning students must complete the following:
- Attend 6 total meetings, 2 of each Issues Team Meetings, Healthcare, Education, Housing (Meetings are in Milwaukee and usually at 7:00pm on weeknights. Dates will be emailed when students sign-up for email lists.)
- Work with the Marquette for Common Ground Core Team to expand on campus
- Connect new students to Common Ground
- Meetings for each initiative are as follows. More details and information can be discussed with Common Ground organizers.
- September 5th 7:00-8:30pm St. Mark's Episcopal Church (2618 N Hackett Ave)
- September 25th 9:00am-2:00pm Madison Day. Common Ground will be going to the state capitol to talk to lawmakers about the CG Healthcare Cooperative.
- Milwaukee Rising (housing initiative)
- September 26th 6:30pm for new people, 7:00-8:30pm at My Calvary Church (53rd and center)
- October 19th - MKE Rising home tour
- Fair Play (education initiative)
- September 16th 6:30pm St Marks Episcopal Church 2618 N Hackett
- Student's roles include: adopt a athletic field with an experienced CG leader, attend athletic activities and engage parents coaches and kids. The goal is to find people who want to fight for fair play. *must attend the Fair Play team meeting to sign up.
- Common Ground events
- September 30th at Mount Mary College (92nd and Burleigh): Assembly of 200-300 people to launch the common ground health insurance cooperative.
- October 1st, 10:00am at Hanson Dodge Creative (in the Third Ward, corner of Buffalo and Water St.) - press event and health care co-op launch part 2
- Suburban Rural Caucus
- Here you will see what organizing in the suburbs looks like!
- September 11th 7:00pm Good Shepherd Church (N88 W17658 Christman Rd.)