Course and site listing for Aimee Woda
HEAL 1025: Culture and Health
Course Learning Objectives Related to Service Learning:
- Identify differences and similarities in communication, values, practices, and beliefs between ones’ own culture and other cultures.
- Explain how categories of human diversity (such as race, gender, ethnicity, and disability) influence personal identities and can create structural and institutional inequity.
- Critically reflect upon one’s personal and cultural presuppositions and now these affect one’s values and relationships
- Explore select cultural theories to enhance students’ ability to work with people from different cultures
- Analyze the health/illness beliefs and practices of selected populations
- Identify differences and similarities in communication, values, practices, and beliefs between one’s own culture and other cultures
- Explain the relationships among social determinants of health (such as race, gender, ethnicity, and disability), health care systems, and health disparities.
**Option for both Service Learning and NOYCE students.**