YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee - Sponsor-A-Scholar Tutoring
Address: Downtown YMCA -161 W. Wisconsin Avenue
Transportation: Take the #30 or #10 bus towards downtown.
Approximate Travel Time By Bus: 7 minutes
Days/Hours of Operation: Monday 3:30-6:00pm, Tuesday 3:30-6:00pm, Wednesday 3:30-6:00pm
Mandatory Site Orientation: Tuesday 9/18 and Wednesday 9/19 from 4-5pm at the Downtown YMCA.
Student Role in the Agency: Under the direction of the Sponsor-A-Scholar (SAS) Tutoring Coordinator and in accordance with Association policies, the Volunteer Tutoring Assistant is responsible for assisting SAS high school students with homework help in a college readiness setting. The volunteer is also responsible for contributing to a welcoming, productive, safe and healthy environment.
- Tutor high school students in general student courses which may include: Mathematics, English, History, Science, and Spanish. We have a special need for students with backgrounds in Pre-calculus, Calculus, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- Encourage students to achieve tangible goals in relation to their academic improvement through goal setting, Individual Development Plans, and assignments which encourage students’ self-sufficiency and accountability.
- Under the supervision of the class coordinators, identify student needs and supplemental resources and activities as needed. Utilize a case management approach in working with academically “at risk” students.
- Meet with Tutoring Coordinator monthly or as scheduled to discuss student needs.
- Assist with homework help to SAS high school students in general student courses which may include: Mathematics, English, History, Science, and/or Foreign Language.
- Encourage students to stay on task and build a set of study skills that will enable them to achieve realistic goals in relation to their academic improvement while developing their self-sufficiency, confidence, and accountability.
- Receive background information and guidance from Level I Tutors to better understand the Sponsor-A-Scholar program and student demographic to meet service learning or internship curriculum goals.
- Submit a service learning reflection to SAS Tutoring Coordinator at the end of term of service that evaluates what was gained from the service learning experience.
- Communicate with Tutoring Coordinator regularly through meetings, e-mails and phone calls.
Commitment: An initial orientation session lasting 1 hour and 2-2.5 hours a week of service commitment, depending on a student’s availability. Tutors are required to complete a tutoring application and background check.
- If you have not already completed Marquette's Working With Minors training, you must do so before serving at the YMCA.