YMCA of Metropolitan Milwaukee - Sponsor-A-Scholar Tutoring
Address: MSOE Kern Center, 1245 N Broadway
Transportation: Take the #30 towards downtown and continue by bus north towards Juneau Avenue. Get off the bus at Juneau Avenue and walk west. Continue north onto Broadway towards the Kern Center.
Approximate Travel Time By Bus: 20 minutes
Approximate Travel Time By Car: 7 minutes
Days/Hours of Operation: Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday 3:30p.m.-6:00 p.m.
Mandatory Site Orientation: Individual Orientation, please call site contact to discuss a time.
Student Role in the Agency: Under the direction of the Sponsor-A-Scholar (SAS) Tutoring Coordinator and in accordance with Association policies, the Volunteer Tutoring Assistant is responsible for assisting SAS high school students with homework help in a college readiness setting. The volunteer is also responsible for contributing to a welcoming, productive, safe and healthy environment.
- Tutor high school students in general student courses which may include: Mathematics, English, History, Science, and Spanish. We have a special need for students with backgrounds in Pre-calculus, Calculus, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- Encourage students to achieve tangible goals in relation to their academic improvement through goal setting, Individual Development Plans, and assignments which encourage students’ self-sufficiency and accountability.
- Under the supervision of the class coordinators, identify student needs and supplemental resources and activities as needed. Utilize a case management approach in working with academically “at risk” students.
- Meet with Tutoring Coordinator monthly or as scheduled to discuss student needs.
- Assist with homework help to SAS high school students in general student courses which may include: Mathematics, English, History, Science, and/or Foreign Language.
- Encourage students to stay on task and build a set of study skills that will enable them to achieve realistic goals in relation to their academic improvement while developing their self-sufficiency, confidence, and accountability.
- Receive background information and guidance from Level I Tutors to better understand the Sponsor-A-Scholar program and student demographic to meet service learning or internship curriculum goals.
- Submit a service learning reflection to SAS Tutoring Coordinator at the end of term of service that evaluates what was gained from the service learning experience.
Commitment: An initial orientation session lasting one hour the week before service commitment, depending on the student’s availability. Tutors are required to complete a tutoring application, background check, and Working with Minors online training.