**Option for both Service Learning and NOYCE students.**
Address: 823 S. 4th St.
Transportation: School is at 4th and National. Take the #30 going east on Wisconsin and get off on 2nd St. Take the #18 or #19 southbound and get off on 4th and National. Make sure to ask the bus driver if the bus goes up National Avenue before you get on, as some of these go up Greenfield Ave. instead. Enter school on 4th St., go to Room 1 in lower level. There will be a security person at the door to let you in. If for some reason there is not, knock on the lowest window that is closest to the door, but facing National Avenue. Someone should be there to let you in.
Approximate Travel Time By Car: 10 minutes
Approximate Travel Time By Bus: 20 minutes
Orientation: Wednesday, January 30th 5:00-7:00pm
Days/Hours of Operation: CLC: Monday-Thursday 2:30pm-5:00pm. Adult ESL: Tuesday and Thursday 5:00pm-7:00pm.
Description of Agency: Vieau School, which serves students in K3 through 8th grade, is over 100 years old. Its student population is 97% Hispanic, most are native Spanish speakers.
Student Role in Agency:
- Community Learning Center: Monday-Thursday 2:30 pm-5:00pm.
After-school homework help, predominantly in math, science, communications, research papers and public speaking. Spanish skills are helpful but not mandatory. Education majors are encouraged to apply.
- Adult English as a Second Language (ESL) Classes: Tuesday and Thursday 5:00 pm-7:00 pm.
- Work one-on-one and in small groups with Spanish-speaking adults. The class typically has 20-25 students and many of them are younger adults who speak no English. This placement provides service learners with excellent opportunities to practice their conversational skills and learn about Hispanic/ Latino culture and some of the challenges faced by members of this community in Milwaukee.
- All tutoring work with school-age children is to be done in English; Spanish conversation may take place once academic work is done. If you need to work with native Spanish speakers, let the site contact know at orientation.
- You must submit a volunteer application and background check form, attend orientation and tutor training (provided) and commit to 2-3 hours per week.
- For students working with the CLC: If you have not already completed Marquette's Working With Minors training, you must do so after Sign-Up Night. More information will be available at Sign-Up Night.