Address: 2110 W. Scott Street
Transportation: Catch any bus going south (#14) across the 16th St. bridge; get off at Scott Street; walk five blocks west to 21st Street.
Approximate Travel Time By Bus: 15 minutes
Approximate Travel Time By Car: 10 minutes
Orientation: Tuesday, February 2nd at 1:00 pm- 2:00 pm or 6:00 pm-7:00 pm, or Thursday, February 4th at 4:00 pm-5:00 pm
Description of Agency/Activities: Established in 1969, Journey House is grounded in the philosophy that "Education is a Family Journey". We embody this belief through our mission of working with the community utilizing a self-help philosophy in order to increase education, reduce unemployment and crime, strengthen families, and revitalize neighborhoods.
Student Role in Agency
- Community Learning Center (CLC) After-school Program: Tutors will spend time with youth and teenagers, assisting them with homework and with technology in the afternoons. Service Learners may also assist in sports and other areas that they are interested in!
- Available hours are from 2:00pm - 7:30pm Mondays - Thursdays at Journey House and and Kagel. Bilingual tutors are especially needed.
- English Language Learner (ELL) Tutors: Tutors who want to observe qualified teachers at work, and help the teacher with individual and group work in an English only speaking environment are welcomed. Education majors are encouraged to apply. Not appropriate for Spanish classes.
- Available hours are from 9:00am - 11:00am and 4:30pm - 7:00pm Mondays - Thursdays at Journey House.
- GED Tutors: Tutors will work in a one-on-one setting with native English or native Spanish speakers who are learning high school level math, history, science, reading, and writing in preparation for the General Equivalency Diploma test. Volunteers should be proficient in Microsoft Word and should know how to use the Internet.
- Available hours are from 11:00am - 1:30pm and 1:30pm - 4:00pm and 4:30pm - 7:00pm Mondays - Wednesdays and Journey House. Tutors are also needed Thursdays 9:00am - 11:00am at Journey House.
- Youth Center Programs: Service learners will lead youths in activities at the youth center. Service learners should feel comfortable with working with youth, talking to them, getting actively involved in activities to get them motivated and excited to participate. Service learners should also feel comfortable with participants who may be difficult to talk to or approach.
- Available hours are from 4:00pm - 7:00pm Mondays - Fridays at Journey House.
Commitment: Orientation plus 2 hours weekly throughout the semester. Please complete the volunteer application form at ttp://www.journeyhouse.org/volunteer.html before orientation.