Address: 2110 W. Scott Street
Transportation: Catch any bus going south (#14) across the 16th St. bridge; get off at Scott Street; walk five blocks west to 21st Street.
Approximate Travel Time By Bus: 15 minutes
Approximate Travel Time By Car: 10 minutes
Days/Hours of Operation:
- Citizenship Class: Thursday, 7:00-9:00pm
- CLC: Monday-Friday, 2:30-6:00pm
- ELL: Monday-Thursday, 11:00am-2:00pm and 4:00-7:00pm
- Friday Fun Nights: Friday, 5:00-8:00pm
- GED Tutoring: Monday-Thursday, 9:00-11:00am and 5:00-7:00pm
- Youth Center Programs: Monday-Thursday, 5:00-7:00pm and 7:00-9:00pm
Description of Agency/Activities: Established in 1969, Journey House is grounded in the philosophy that "Education is a Family Journey". We embody this belief through our mission of working with the community utilizing a self-help philosophy in order to increase education, reduce unemployment and crime, strengthen families, and revitalize neighborhoods.
Student Role in Agency
- Citizenship Class: Assist community members who are applying to become naturalized U.S. citizens during their weekly class.
- Community Learning Center (CLC) After-school Program: Tutors will spend time with youth and teenagers, assisting them with homework and with technology in the afternoons. Service Learners may also assist in sports and other areas that they are interested in!
- English Language Learner (ELL) Tutors: Tutors who want to observe qualified teachers at work, and help the teacher with individual and group work in an English only speaking environment are welcomed. Education majors are encouraged to apply. Not appropriate for Spanish classes.
- Friday Fun Nights: Assist and participate in a wide variety games and activities with families and youths.
- GED Tutors: Tutors will work in a one-on-one setting with native English or native Spanish speakers who are learning high school level math, history, science, reading, and writing in preparation for the General Equivalency Diploma test. Volunteers should be proficient in Microsoft Word and should know how to use the Internet.
- Youth Center Programs: Service learners will lead youths in activities at the youth center. Service learners should feel comfortable with working with youth, talking to them, getting actively involved in activities to get them motivated and excited to participate. Service learners should also feel comfortable with participants who may be difficult to talk to or approach.
Commitment: Orientation plus 2 hours weekly throughout the semester. Please complete the volunteer application form at ttp://www.journeyhouse.org/volunteer.html before orientation.