Next Door Foundation
Address: Helwig Family Community Center, 4063 N. 64th Street
Transportation: Take a #23 bus in the direction of Calumet/Granville - Via Fond Du Lac-National. (It will turn right onto 16th St. and eventually turn left onto Fond Du Lac Ave). Disembark at Fond Du Lac Ave and 27th St. Turn left and walk down 27th street, and after one block turn on to W Clarke St. At 29th St. turn left, Next Door Foundation will be on the left side of the street.
By Car: Turn right on 27th and Wisconsin. (2.5mi) Turn left onto Clark (just before Fond Du Lac) go 2 blocks and take another left on 29th. Park on the street.
Approximate Travel Time By Bus: 20 minutes
Approximate Travel Time By Car: 10 minutes
- We recommend traveling by car or in a group if by bus as the bus leaves you a few blocks away from the agency.
Orientation: Arrange individual orientations with Beverly, the site contact.
Days/Hours of Operation: Varies by program, see below.
Description of Agency: The Next Door Foundation serves central city children and families. Its vision is to position central city Milwaukee kids to succeed; its mission is to support the intellectual, physical, spiritual and emotional development of children so they become self-sufficient, contributing members of the community. It is a strong, multifaceted agency offering many programs, including: head start, programs for developmentally delayed kids, 4 and 5-year-old kindergarten, a health clinic, family literacy programs for children and adults; "Books for Kids" book distribution program; educational and recreational programs for children and youth; special events.
Student Role in Agency: Students are needed in the following areas:
- Readers-Read with Me Program: Volunteers are needed to read with children between the ages of 2 and 5 years old. Volunteers will read for 30 minutes, sharing the love of reading with a child one–on-one or in a small group. Volunteers are needed every Tuesday from 9:00am-11:00am and from 1:30pm-3:30pm. On Wednesdays volunteers are needed from 9:00am-11:00am. The read with me program begins Tuesday, September 17th. Please contact Pam Edyburn at (414) 562-2929 x109 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. She will serve as your site contact for this program.
- Classroom assistant: Next Door’s Educare Center of Milwaukee is seeking volunteers to assist in two infant classrooms with children ages birth to 2 years old. Volunteers will help with holding, feeding, rocking and interacting with infants on the floor. We are seeking caring volunteers that enjoy interacting with infants. Volunteers must be able to lift and hold up to 20lbs. Volunteers available any time from 9:00am-1:00pm on Wednesdays. Begin Service Learning the week of Monday, September 9th . Please contact Jill Udell at (414) 562-2929 x134 or by e-mail at email@example.com with any questions. She will serve as your site contact for this program. You will be in room 74 with Ms. Wendy Weis. Service learners must get a TB test for this classroom.
- Adult Tutor: GED Fast-Track and Skill Building Program: This program serves adult students that have not completed high school ages 18+. Students need tutoring in basic skill areas such as reading and mathematics in order to gain the skills needed to take and pass the GED tests. The adult education classes meet Monday through Wednesday, 9:00 am to 11:00 am or 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm. Begin Service Learning the week of Monday, September 9th. Please contact Holly Thielen at (414) 562-2929 x145 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. She will serve as your site contact for this program.
Commitment: A 30 minute Orientation, plus 2 hours per week during the semester. In addition, students must complete a volunteer application and agency background check. If you have not completed working with minors training, you must do so. Classroom Assistants must get a TB test.
- In order to start service as soon as possible, get your application materials in ASAP.
- Students must get a TB test prior to starting service, more information about when Marquette Student Health sponsors this will be available at Sign-Up Night.
- If you have not already completed Marquette's Working With Minors training, you must do so. More information will be available at Sign-Up Night.