Next Door Foundation
Address: Helwig Family Community Center, 4063 N. 64th Street
Transportation: Take a #23 bus in the direction of Calumet/Granville - Via Fond Du Lac-National. (It will turn right onto 16th St. and eventually turn left onto Fond Du Lac Ave). Disembark at Fond Du Lac Ave and 27th St. Turn left and walk down 27th street, and after one block turn on to W Clarke St. At 29th St. turn left, Next Door Foundation will be on the left side of the street.
By Car: Turn right on 27th and Wisconsin. (2.5mi) Turn left onto Clark (just before Fond Du Lac) go 2 blocks and take another left on 29th. Park on the street.
Approximate Travel Time By Bus: 20 minutes
Approximate Travel Time By Car: 10 minutes
- We recommend traveling by car or in a group if by bus as the bus leaves you a few blocks away from the agency.
Days/Hours of Operation: Varies by program, see below.
Description of Agency: The Next Door Foundation serves central city children and families. Its vision is to position central city Milwaukee kids to succeed; its mission is to support the intellectual, physical, spiritual and emotional development of children so they become self-sufficient, contributing members of the community. It is a strong, multifaceted agency offering many programs, including: head start, programs for developmentally delayed kids, 4 and 5-year-old kindergarten, a health clinic, family literacy programs for children and adults; "Books for Kids" book distribution program; educational and recreational programs for children and youth; special events.
Student Role in Agency: Students are needed in the following areas:
- Educare Classroom Assistant - Next Door is looking for a special and dedicated individual who is willing to sit on the floor as infants explore their environment. It is important to maintain a routine and consistency in caretakers for our young children, so we ask that this volunteer commit to a recurring schedule for this opportunity. The class consists of very curious, active and smart 2-3 year olds. This individual will be willing to share their time actively engaging with the students, reading and assisting with the classroom activities. Hours are from 8:30am – 11:30am on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Read With Me Volunteer - Books for Kids is based on the premise that children who have books of their own possess limitless opportunity. Volunteers will read one-on-one or in small groups with 2 to 5 year-old children in Next Door programs in Next Door’s Books For Kids Library. Hours are as follows: Tuesdays 9:00am-11:00am and 1:30pm-3:30pm and Wednesdays 9:00am-11:00am. Students should arrive a half an hour earlier.
Commitment: A 30 minute Orientation, plus 2 hours per week during the semester. In addition, students must complete a volunteer application and agency background check. If you have not completed working with minors training, you must do so. Classroom Assistants must get a TB test.
- In order to start service as soon as possible, get your application materials in ASAP.
- Students must get a TB test prior to starting service, more information about when Marquette Medical Clinic sponsors this will be available at Sign-Up Night.
- If you have not already completed Marquette's Working With Minors training, you must do so. More information will be available at Sign-Up Night.