Next Door Foundation
Address: Helwig Family Community Center, 2545 N. 29th St.
By car: Turn right on 27th and Wisconsin. (2.5mi) Turn left onto Clark (just before Fond Du Lac) go 2 blocks and take another left on 29th. Park on the street.
- Approximate Travel Time: 10 minutes
By bus: Take the #23 bus in the direction of Calumet/Granville - Via Fond Du Lac-National. (It will turn right onto 16th St. and eventually turn left onto Fond Du Lac Ave). Get off at Fond Du Lac Ave and 27th St. Turn left and walk down 27th St , and after one block turn on to W Clarke St. At 29th St. turn left, Next Door Foundation will be on the left side of the street.
- Approximate Travel Time: 20 minutes
Orientation: Set up individaully
Days/Hours of Volunteering: To be determined at Sign Up Night Jan. 25
Description of Agency: The Next Door Foundation serves central city children and families. Its vision is to position central city Milwaukee kids to succeed; its mission is to support the intellectual, physical, spiritual and emotional development of children so they become self-sufficient, contributing members of the community. It is a strong, multifaceted agency offering many programs, including: head start, programs for developmentally delayed kids, 4 and 5-year-old kindergarten, a health clinic, family literacy programs for children and adults; "Books for Kids" book distribution program; educational and recreational programs for children and youth; special events.
Student Role at Agency: Students are needed in the following areas:
- Preschool Classroom Assistant: Looking for fun, patient and reliable individuals to engage children in learning and nurturing activities including art, teaching games, reading, songs, and physical play. This includes help with meals and snacks and helping children fall asleep for nap. Children range in age from 6 weeks to 5 years. Hours are 9 am-12 pm, any weekday. We ask that volunteers commit to at least one morning a week.
- Read With Me Volunteer - Books for Kids is based on the premise that children who have books of their own possess limitless opportunity. Volunteers will read one-on-one or in small groups with 2 to 5 year-old children in Next Door programs in Next Door’s Books For Kids Library. Hours are as follows: Tuesdays 1:30pm-3:30pm and Wednesdays 9:00am-11:00am. Students should arrive a half an hour earlier.
- Adult Tutor: Our Adult Education Program serves students 18 and older who have not completed high school. Volunteers tutor students in areas such as reading and mathematics in order to gain the skills needed to pass the test necessary to obtain a GED. Classes meet Mon-Wed 9-12 am and again from 1-4 pm. Volunteers are matched with students according to their academic comfort level and are provided training on what is needed to pass the GED test.
- Books for Kids Library Assistant: Library volunteers unpack, sort, clean, repair and label the many donated books we receive, before they find a new home with Milwaukee’s children. Books collected are distributed by our Giving Library to children who may not have books of their own. This is a flexible opportunity, volunteers are welcome to help Monday-Friday between the hours of 9-5.
- Attend the agency's mandatory orientation
- Visit the site for 2-3 hours per week throughout the entire semester
- Complete a volunteer application and agency background check.
- Marquette's Working with Minors training
- TB Test (for classroom assistants)