Penfield Children's Center
Address: 833 N. 26th Street (26th and Wells)
- This site is within walking distance, so you can walk, drive, or take a bus.
- By Bus:Take any bus going west on Wisconsin Ave, and get off at 25th St. Walk one block to 26th St. Penfield is the first building north of Wells.
- Approximate Travel Time by Car: 2 minutes
- Approximate Travel Time by Bus: 4 minutes
- In inclement weather/dark MU transport will take/pick up.
Days/Hours of Service:
For a 2 hour increment or more, repeated at the same time weekly for the semester:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday: 8:30-11:30am or 1-3pm
- Or 11:30am-1:30pm (with infants), 11am-1pm (with infants) or 1:00-3pm (with infants
Description of Agency/Activities: Penfield Children's Center creates a positive start in life for infants and children, many of whom have developmental delays or disabilities, by providing early education, health services and family programming. Most of the children enrolled at Penfield live in Milwaukee's central city, within a five-mile radius of the center. Every year, hundreds of students and community members assist in Penfield's classrooms, special care nurseries, and playgroups leaving a lasting impact on the clients with whom they work. Over 120 staff members directly and indirectly serve Penfield's children and families in areas such as child development, speech, occupational, and physical therapy, nursing, social work, and special education. Although their roles are different, all volunteers and staff members share a commitment to Penfield's mission and an abiding concern for the well-being of the children that they serve.
Our programs include:
- Birth-to-Three Services: Speech, physical, and occupational therapy, special education, behavioral health services, family support, service coordination and early education.
- Early Education and Care: Fully-inclusive and accredited child care program for children from 6-weeks- to 5-years-old.
- Behavior Clinic: Serving children with significant behavioral, emotional and mental health issues.
- Special Care Nursery: Provides nursing care, therapy and education for children with serious health issues and medical conditions.
- Outpatient Therapy: Occupational, physical and speech therapy for children and young adults from birth to age 21.
- Family Services: Parent education workshops, family events and parent support.
Student Role in Agency:
- Special Care Nursery: Volunteers will rock, feed, and play with medically fragile infants and children under 3 years old under the direction of nursery staff.MUST have excellent training and experience with babies.
- Child Care Rooms: Volunteers will interact with children of different abilities, from 4 weeks to 6 years, in an assigned classroom. Volunteers will assist the teaching staff by participating in all classroom activities such as reading circle, art time, helping with snack, and helping when needed.
- Special Education Rooms: Volunteers will interact with children of all abilities, from birth to age three, in an assigned classroom. Volunteers will assist the teaching staff by participating in all classroom activities.
Unique features of agency:
Service Learners will be challenged to learn to communicate and interact with young children who have developmental disabilities. The children may have anywhere from minor developmental delays to severe mental and physical disabilities. In addition, 95% of the children at Penfield come from homes below the US poverty level. All of the children are extremely adorable!
- A mandatory 1/2 hour orientation and tour conducted at the agency. View 3 videos that introduce students to Penfield's history and mission, regulations and safety/health precautions, and responsibilities on your own time/youtube.
- 2-3 hours per week of service at the site is also required, and the staff asks that students choose one day and time frame that will remain the same throughout the semester.
- If you have not already completed Marquette's Working With Minors training, you must do so. More information will be available at Sign-Up Night.