Graduate Assistant Supplemental Stipends

Beginning in fall 2017, Marquette University will no longer offer subsidized health insurance to graduate assistants and fellows and will not offer a health insurance plan to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. All international students are required to have acceptable year-round health insurance coverage for their entire period of studies (learn more here).


2017-2018 Supplemental Stipend Information for Graduate Assistants and Fellows

Beginning in the 2017-18 academic year, the Graduate School will no longer provide subsidies to those limited number of students who selected the Student Health Insurance Plan for Marquette University Graduate Assistants. Instead, it will provide stipend supplements to all those being paid through the formal title of Graduate Assistant/Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant/Fellow at Marquette University. This stipend supplement can be used to help offset health insurance costs, or it can be used for other expenses, at the discretion of the student. It will be paid toward the beginning (2nd or 3rd check) of each term students are eligible. These stipend supplements are taxable income.

Stipend supplements are only available for fall and spring terms. The amount of each stipend supplement depends on the appointment. Therefore, beginning in the fall, 2017 semester:

Full Supplement: To be eligible for the full supplement amount of $375/semester ($750 for the year), graduate assistants/fellows must have been offered and accepted both a full 20-hour/week stipend, and a full tuition scholarship. They will receive the full supplement amount ($375) for each semester in which they receive a full assistantship/fellowship.

One-half Supplement: Graduate assistants/fellows will be eligible for a partial supplement amount of $187.50 ($375 annually) if they have less than a full assistantship/fellowship, but at least the equivalent of a 10-hour/week stipend and one-half tuition scholarship (4.5 credits). They will receive the partial supplement amount ($187.50) for each semester in which they receive a partial assistantship/fellowship.

Eligibility: For a student to be eligible for the stipend supplement, details of that student’s funding package must be sent to the Graduate School, by that student’s department. To receive the stipend supplement for fall, 2017, the funding package must be received by the Graduate School no later than September 15, 2017. To receive the stipend supplement for spring, 2018, the information must be received no later than February 1, 2018.

This policy was approved and announced on January 19, 2017 and is in effect for the 2017-18 school year. This policy applies to all eligible graduate students (U.S. citizens, legal permanent residents, and international students). The landscape with respect to health insurance is continually evolving and may change significantly over the next several years. As such, the Graduate School will reevaluate this decision as necessary and reserves the right to modify this program for future years.


2016-2017 Health Insurance Information for Graduate Teaching and Research Assistants

Marquette University works with an outside plan administrator to offer graduate students health insurance. Certain Marquette University graduate assistants and fellows, including some recipients of grant funding, will be eligible to have a portion of their premium paid by Marquette University.

In 2016-17, Marquette University will contribute up to $2,000 toward a health insurance plan for qualified teaching assistants, research assistants, and university fellowship recipients (U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents). Students who qualify for this benefit were notified in their award letters. The policy dates of the plan for most full-time assistants are August 1, 2016 through July 31, 2017.

U.S. Citizens and Legal Permanent Residents

  • Deadline for Accepting Insurance Plans: Students wishing to participate in the health insurance plan must notify the Graduate School by filling out, signing, and returning the Payroll Deduction Agreement form as soon as possible.  See link below to access the form.
  • Enrollment: The Graduate School will work directly with the insurance company to enroll all students who would like to purchase the insurance policy. Students must submit payroll deduction forms to the Graduate School. Students should work directly with the insurance company to enroll spouses and/or dependents.
  • Insurance Cards: Insurance cards will be mailed to students.
  • Address Changes: It is important that students inform the insurance company directly with any address changes throughout the time of coverage.
  • Policy Information
      • View the one-page summary here.
      • View the full policy here.
      • View instructions for cancelling your MU health insurance policy here
      • View Ask Mayo Clinic 24/7 health guidance information here.
      • View Travel Guard travel assistance information here.
      • Visit MU Risk Management’s Student Health Insurance website for more information.
  • Links to 2016-17 Documents: A schedule of insurance premiums based on the category and term of the graduate assistantship, the deadlines to accept or decline the insurance benefit, and the form to authorize payroll deduction for the premiums can be found here: Costs, Deadlines, Payroll Deduction Agreement form PDF(Revised 7/22/2016).
  • Other Health Insurance Opportunities
      • Parent Insurance – Children can usually join or remain on a parent’s insurance plan until their 26th birthday. They can do so even if they are married, not living with their parent/s, attending school, not financially dependent on their parent/s, or eligible to enroll in their own employer's plan.
      • Aon Affinity Health Plans has been selected by Marquette University as an alternate source for obtaining health insurance. Information is available at Risk Management's Student Health Insurance site.
      • Additional health insurance plans are available via the health care exchanges at

International Students

Information about 2016-2017 health insurance for international students and the university’s contribution toward premiums can be found here.


More financial aid resources