Spirituality has many definitions, but at its core spirituality helps to give our lives context. It is not necessarily connected to a specific belief system, or even religious worship. Instead, it arises from your connection with yourself and with others, the development of your personal value system, and your search for meaning in life. For many, this takes the form of religious observance, prayer, meditation, or a belief in a higher power. For others, it can be found in nature, music, art, or a secular community. Spirituality is different for everyone.
HOW CAN SPIRITUALITY HELP YOU?
There are many benefits of spirituality. It can help you:
- Focus on personal goals. Cultivating your spirituality may help uncover what's most meaningful in your life. By clarifying what's important to you, you can eliminate stress by focusing less on the unimportant things that can sometimes seem to consume you.
- Connect to the world. The more you feel you have a purpose in the world, the less solitary you feel — even when you're alone. This can lead to an inner peace during difficult times.
- Release control. When you feel part of a greater whole, you realize that you aren't responsible for everything that happens in life. You can share the burden of tough times, as well as the joys of life's blessings, with those around you.
- Expand your support network. Whether you find spirituality in a church, mosque or synagogue, in your family, or in walks with a friend through nature, this sharing of spiritual expression can help build relationships.
- Lead a healthier life. Some research seems to indicate that people who consider themselves spiritual are often better able to cope with stress and heal from illness or addiction.
Our resource area contains brochures, articles, bulletin board packets, books, videos, and handouts on a wide variety of health related topics. If we don't have it, we will help you find it!