Reach Out & Read
Address: Services take place at eight locations:
- Downtown Health Center, 1020 N. 12th St. (12th and State)
- Hillside Family Health Center, 1452 N. 7th st.
- Isaac Coggs Heritage Health Center, 8200 W Silver Spring Dr.
- Lisbon Avenue Health Center, 3522 W. Lisbon Ave.
- Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center, 2555 N. Dr. Martin Luther King Dr.
- Next Door Pediatrics, 2561 N. 29th st.
- 16th St. Community Health Center (Chavez), 1032 S. Cesar E. Chavez Dr. (Strong Spanish skills are preferred at this site, but not required. Most patients are Spanish-speaking and it would be beneficial to know the language.)
- 16th St. Community Health Center (Parkway) 2906 S. 20th St. (Strong Spanish skills are preferred at this site, but not required. Most patients are Spanish-speaking and it would be beneficial to know the language.)
- Downtown:Walk up 12th St. to site.
- Hillside Family Health Center, 1452 N. 7th st: By bus: Walk to 6th st. and Wisconsin Ave. Take the #80 bus Southbound towards Airport. Get off at 6th and Greenfield, then walk about two blocks to site. By Car: Head East on Wisconsin Ave. Take a right on 6th st. and head over the bridge and straight through traffic circle. Turn right on W. Orchard st. and make a final left on S. 7th st.
- Isaac Coggs Heritage Health Center: By Car Only: Take I-43 N to Exit 78 (W. Silver Spring Drive). Drive 5 miles west to site
- Lisbon Avenue Health Center, 3522 W. Lisbon Ave.: By bus: Take the #30 bus from Wisconsin & 12th st. Westbound. Get off at 40th and Lisbon. Walk East on Lisbon to the site. By Car: Head West on Wisconsin ave. Make a right onto N. 27th st. then a left on Highland. Turn Right on 35th st. and left onto Lisbon Ave.
- Martin Luther King Heritage Center: By Bus: Take any bus going east on Wisconsin or Wells; get off on MLK Dr. (Third St.). Take the #19 north to site (2 blocks north of North Ave.). By Car: Take I-43 N to Exit 74 (Locust Street). Turn right onto Locust St. Turn right onto N Martin Luther King, Jr Drive.
- Next Door Pediatrics, 2561 N. 29th st.: By bus: Take the #14 bus towards Southridge at the Wisconsin & 10th st. Get off at Foresthome & 29th st. Walk 1 block to site. By car: Head West on Wisconsin Ave. Turn left on 27th st. Continue onto S. Layton Blvd. Continue onto S. 27th st. Turn right onto W. Harrison Ave. Take 2nd right onto S. 29th st.
- 16th St. Community Health Center (Chavez): By Bus: Take the #14 bus on the northeast corner of 16th and Wisconsin (by McCormick). The bus will go over the 16th St. viaduct. Disembark at Mineral St. and 16th Street, walk south to the site. By Car: Take 16th St. south to the site.
- 16th St. Community Health Center (Parkway): By Bus: Take the #14 bus on the northeast corner of 16th and Wisconsin (by McCormick). The bus will go over the 16th St. viaduct. Disembark at 16th St. and Forest Home Ave. and transfer to the #19 bus. Continue heading south and disembark at S. 20th St. and KK Parkway. Walk one block south to the site.
Orientations will be done on the first day of service.
Days/Hours of Operation: Sites operate from 8:00am to 5:00pm with occasional Saturday hours depending on location.
- Downtown Health Center, M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
- Hillside Family Health Center,. M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
- Isaac Coggs Heritage Health Center, M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
- Lisbon Avenue Health Center, M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
- Martin Luther King Heritage Health Center, M-F 8:00am-5:00pm
- Next Door Pediatrics, M-F 8:30am-5:00pm
- 16th St. Community Health Center (Chavez), M-F 8:00am- 5:00pm
- 16th St. Community Health Center (Parkway), M-F 8:00am- 5:00pm
Description of Agency/Activities: Reach Out & Read Milwaukee, affiliated with the Medical College of Wisconsin and Children's Hospital, is part of a national program promoting early literacy in Pediatric Clinics At each site, when a child's appointment is for a well-child check-up, the physician--in the course of the physical exam--will give the child a "prescription to read." The doctor will talk to the child and parent about reading, related developmental topics, and perhaps issues of adult literacy. The readers will model reading as described in the "Student Role" below. Each of these children will leave the clinic with a new book given to them by the physician.
Student Role in Agency:
- Reading to or with the children in the clinic waiting room prior to their appointment with the doctor
- Participate in other activities when possible with the children (arts & crafts, letter learning games, other games, puppets, special events, etc.)
- Converse with parents
- Help children choose gently used books to take home with them
- Hand out reading glasses to adults
Commitment: Orientation plus 2-4 hours per week for the duration of the MU semester. Each service learner must inform the program coordinator how many weeks or months they can help out. This is an on-going program, so if you wish to continue after the semester is over, it is an option.
Special Features of Placement: Please follow the volunteer check list given at Sign Up Night. All Service Learners must have TWO TB tests (the first within one month of starting service and the second within one year) and MMR (copy of childhood immunization record from Doctor or student health services) before beginning service. Spanish students can only go to the 16th St. Health Center.
- VOLUNTEER APPLICATIONS WILL BE GIVEN OUT AT REGISTRATION, AS WELL AS BACKGROUND CHECK FORMS. YOU MUST A) SUBMIT PAPERWORK TO THE SERVICE LEARNING OFFCE AND B) HAVE ARRANGEMENTS IN PLACE FOR TWO TB TESTS AT ORIENTATION. YOU MUST ALSO ATTEND A WORKING WITH MINORS TRAINING.
- MCW can provide a 2nd TB test at no charge. Service Learning will also hold a 2-day TB Test Clinic on campus. The Student Health Services fee for this test is $5, made payable by cash or check. MMR Records can be collected from Student Health Services.
- If you have not already completed Marquette's Working With Minors training, you must do so.