Volume 2: Midwest United States
Oklahoma: OK-1

St. Patrick Church
1115 West Petree Road
P.O. Box 628
Anadarko, OK 73005

Phone: 405-247-5255


History: St. Patrick Church, Anadarko, Caddo County, Oklahoma, has been a mixed Native (Kiowa, Comanche, Apache) and non-Native American parish in the Diocese of Tulsa (Archives: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma).


Benedictines at Sacred Heart Church, Sacred Heart (now St. Gregory's Abbey, Shawnee, Oklahoma) attended to Anadarko station


Benedictines at St. Elizabeth's, Purcell, attended to Anadarko station


Rev. Isidore Ricklin, O.S.B. resided at Anadarko

1892-1975 (became a parish)

Benedictines established and administered St. Patrick Church/ Chapel

1892-1964 (closed)

Benedictines established St. Patrick Mission Boarding School (Kiowa, Comanche, Caddo, Apache), which was staffed by Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia (Archives: Aston, Pennsylvania)


Rev. Isidore Ricklin, O.S.B., baptized Geronimo (Apache) at Fort Sill 

1909, 1911

Fire destroyed St. Patrick Chapel and School, which was rebuilt two years later


Tulsa diocesan priests have administered St. Patrick’s

First Benedictines (1875-1975) and then Tulsa diocesan priests (1975-present) at St. Patrick’s have attended to the following missions and stations among Native Americans (e.g. Kiowa, Comanche, Apache, Caddo, Wichita, Delaware) in Oklahoma:

1891-1922 (closed)

Fort Sill station

1894-1902 (closed)

Elk Creek station

1894-1902 (closed)

Washita Valley station

1894-1904 (transferred to Immaculate Conception, Poteau) (no longer Native)

Coal Creek station

1894-ca. 1905 (closed)

Boggy Creek station

1894-ca. 1910 (closed)

Quanah Camp station

1894-ca. 1926 (closed)

Little Washita station

1894-1939 (closed)

Rainy Mountain station

1898-1902 (became a parish)

Holy Name Mission, Chickasha

1900-ca. 1926 (closed)

Delaware Creek station

1901-ca. 1910 (closed)

Sugar Creek station

ca. 1908-ca. 1932 (closed)

Apache station

1909-ca. 1936 (closed)

Cache Creek station

1911-1940 (closed)

Fort Cobb station

1922-1931 (became a mission)

Binger station

1922-1928 (became a mission)

Cyril station

1928-1949 (transferred to Mother of Sorrows, Apache)

Immaculate Conception Mission, Cyril

1931-1949 (transferred to Sacred Heart, Hinton)

St. Margaret Mary Mission, Binger

1940-1947 (became a mission)

Carnegie station

1943-ca. 1945 (closed)

Lookeba station


Riverside Government Indian School (e.g. Wichita, Caddo, Delaware, Kiowa, Navajo), Anadarko


Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary/ St. Margaret Mary Mission, Binger

1947-1953 (transferred to Sacred Heart, Hinton)

Our Lady of Victory Mission, Carnegie


St. Richard/ Our Lady of Victory Mission, Carnegie


Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1890-ongoing

Volume: At least 1.5 cubic feet

Description: The records at St. Patrick’s Church were not organized by a classification scheme when reviewed by a Marquette University archivist, 1980. Consequently, the records are described by record type.


/1 Sacramental records

Inclusive dated: 1890-ongoing

Volume: Many records within at least 8 volumes

Description: Records for Native American parishioners of St. Patrick Church, its Native American missions and stations, and boarding students at Riverside School; baptisms and deaths, 1890-ongoing, marriages, 1896-ongoing, and first communions and confirmations, 1932-ongoing 


/2 School records

Inclusive dates: 1890s-1960s

Volume: 1 cubic foot

Description: Records for Native American students of St. Patrick School.

A. Student record cards, 1920s-1960s, .7 cubic foot: arranged alphabetically; cards typically contain the following information: name, address, age, grade, date of enrollment, attendance, grades, and test scores

B. Enrollment books, 1890s-1920s, 1934-1950, 4 volumes: typically include name, dates when entered and left, and grade


/3 Photographs

Inclusive dates: 1910-1940

Volume: ca. 100 prints

Description: St. Patrick’s Church and School, Anadarko.


Unless otherwise noted, the repository on this page holds (or held) the records described here and they are not held at the Marquette University Archives.