GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 2: Midwest United States
Oklahoma: OK-4

St. Mary Church
101 East Street Southwest
Ardmore, OK 73401

Phone: 580-223-0231
Email: See website (contact us)
www.stmaryardmore.org

 

History: St. Mary Church has been a predominantly non-Native American parish administered by Oklahoma City arch/diocesan priests. It had some Choctaw and Chickasaw Indian parishioners, especially, 1890-1930s.

1890-1895

Oklahoma City diocesan priests attended Ardmore station (Choctaw, Chickasaw) from St. Elizabeth’s, Purcell

1895-1897

Oklahoma City diocesan priests attended Ardmore station from St. Patrick’s, Norman

1897

Became a parish; a church was constructed on lands donated by Dick McLish, Chickasaw Nation chairman

1897-present (few Natives)

Diocesan priests established and administered St. Mary/ Our Lady of Prompt Succor Church

History: St. Agnes Academy and Boarding School, Ardmore, was located at St. Mary Church, Ardmore.

1898-1932 (no longer Native)

Sisters of Mercy (now Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; see Mercy Heritage Center, Belmont, North Carolina) established and staffed St. Agnes Academy for Girls (Choctaw, Chickasaw), Ardmore

1915-1921 (closed)

Sisters of Mercy established and staffed St. Agnes Boarding School for Boys (Choctaw, Chickasaw), Ardmore

1932

Native students no longer attended St. Agnes became tribal funds for their tuition payments became depleted

Oklahoma City diocesan priests from St. Mary's attended the following missions and stations among the Choctaw and Chickasaw Indians:

1900-1912 (transferred to Blessed Sacrament, Coalgate)

Tishomingo station (Chickasaw)

1902-1912 (became a parish)

St. Catherine Mission (Choctaw), Durant

1904-1910 (closed)

Paul’s Valley station (Choctaw, Chickasaw)

1904-1912 (transferred to St. Catherine's, Durant)

Caddo station (Choctaw)

1908-1915 (closed)

Winnewood station (Choctaw, Chickasaw)

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans: 

Inclusive dates: 1897-ongoing; bulk 1897-1932

Volume: Several volumes 

Description: The records at St. Mary’s Church are described by record type, since they were not organized according to a classification scheme when reviewed by a Marquette University archivist, 1980.

 

/1 Sacramental records

Inclusive dates: 1897-ongoing; bulk 1897-1930s

Volume: Many records within multiple volumes

Description: Records for St. Mary Church, its Native American missions and stations, and the St. Agnes schools; baptisms, 1897-ca. 1930s, marriages, 1899 ca. 1930s, deaths, 1898-ca. 1930s, first communions, 1910-ca. 1930s, and confirmations, 1902-ca. 1930s

 

/2 School records

Inclusive dates: 1898-1932

Volume: Unknown

Description: St. Agnes schools

 

/3 Parish cemetery map

Inclusive dates: ca. 1890-ongoing

Volume: 1 page

Description: Presumably includes some Choctaw and Chickasaw Indian parishioners.

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.

New1984/rev2003-2018

Archival materials from the Raynor Memorial Libraries


Marquette Archives