Marquette University Libraries Copyright and Use Information
All material on the Marquette University Libraries World Wide Web site is copyrighted by Marquette University unless otherwise indicated. It is for the personal use of students, scholars, and the public.
The nature of historical archival collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult to determine. Whenever possible, the Department of Special Collections and University Archives provides information about copyright owners and other restrictions in the catalog records, finding aids, and donor records. The department provides such information as a service to patrons in determining the appropriate use of an item, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the patron.
Images reproduced from the collections of Marquette University Libraries are for viewing and personal use only. Permission for commercial use or any publication, manipulation, display or distribution is only granted by written application to the Department of Special Collections and University Archives.
Conditions of use when receiving written permission from Marquette University Libraries:
- Credit must be given to the Department of Special Collections and University Archives, Marquette University, and to the creator of the item (e.g. the author or photographer), if known.
- Permission to reproduce, publish, broadcast, display, or distribute an item or text must be requested in writing. Permission is granted in writing, not orally. Possession of an item does not constitute permission to reproduce or publish it.
- Permission is for one-time use only. Marquette University retains all rights to the items or text, and the requestor warrants that they will not be used for any purpose other than that listed on this permission form.
- In some cases, Marquette University will request that a copy of the publication be donated to the Libraries.
- The person requesting permission must secure copyright clearance from the copyright holder, if known. In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of the Marquette, the requester agrees to hold harmless Marquette University, its officers and employees from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person, their assignees, or heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory or international copyright.
- Images may be cropped to suit design and layout, but they may not be altered or drawn upon or manipulated in any way so that they look different from the way they appear in the historical collection.
- Marquette University reserves the right to refuse to grant permission and/or provide photo reproduction services to publishers for any reason.