GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 2: Midwest United States
Sisters of St. Francis of the Third Order of Joliet, Illinois
1433 Essington Rd.
Joliet, IL 60435
Hours: By appointment only
Access: Some restrictions apply
Copying facilities: Yes
History: The Sisters of St. Francis of the Third Order of Joliet, Illinois (also known as the Sisters of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate) have staffed the following Catholic schools serving Ojibwa Indian students:
|1879-present||Holy Family Mission School, Bayfield, Wisconsin|
|1880-1960||St. Francis Mission School, Red Cliff, Red Cliff Reservation, Wisconsin|
Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:
Inclusive dates: 1879-ongoing, undated
Volume: Over .6 cubic foot
Description: 3 series include Native Catholic records:
/1 "Mission Annals"
Inclusive dates: 1879-1981
Volume: .2 cubic foot
Description: Arranged alphabetically by location of the parish.
A. Bayfield, Holy Family Mission and School, 1879-1981, .l cubic foot:
1. Correspondence, 1897, 1912, 1924, 1928, 1933, 1935-1938, 1947, 1954, 1956-1960, 1963, 1965, 1968, 1978-1979, 67 letters; major correspondents include Mother Thomasine, O.S.F., Mother Borromeo, O.S.F., Sister M. Hyacinth, O.S.F., Sister M. Bernardine, O.S.F., Reverend Regis Watts, and the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions
2. Annals, 1879-1981, 1 folder: typed and occasionally handwritten copies; entries from 1915-1981 are more detailed than earlier ones
3. Clippings, 1940s-1970s, 1 folder
B. Red Cliff, St. Francis Mission and School, 1880-1959, .1 cubic foot:
1. Correspondence, 1932, 1935-1936, 1957, 7 letters
2. Annals, 1880-1959, 1 volume; includes both the handwritten bound original and a typed copy; entries for 1880-1927 are annual summaries, while entries for 1928-1959 appear daily
3. Clippings, 1944, 1956, 1 folder
/2 "Deceased Sisters' Records"
Inclusive dates: 1932-1952, undated
Volume: .1 cubic foot Description: Arranged alphabetically by surname.
A. Sister M. Cordula Neveaux, O.S.F., 1939-1940, undated, 1 folder:
1. Correspondence, 1939-1940, 5 letters
2. Clippings, undated; re: her life and work
B. Sister M. Seraphica Reineck, O.S.F., 1932, 1937, 1946, undated, 2 folders:
1. Correspondence, 1932, 1937, 1946, undated, 15 letters
2. Photographs, undated, 6 prints
3. Clippings, undated, 1 folder; re: her activities at the Indian missions and schools
C. Sister M. Victoria Steidl, O.S.F., 1952, 1 folder:
1. Correspondence, undated, 1 letter
2. Photographs, 1952, 1 print
3. Clippings, undated: re: her activities at the Indian missions and schools
Inclusive dates: 1895-1980, undated
Volume: Approximately 240 prints
Description: Arranged alphabetically by location of the parish or mission.
A. Bayfield, Holy Family Mission and School, 1895-1980, undated, ca. 190 prints
B. La Pointe, St. Joseph Mission, 1935, 1963, undated, 13 prints
C. Odanah, St. Mary Mission and School, 1925, undated, 10 prints
D. Red Cliff, St. Francis Mission and School, 1940, 1947-1948, undated, 27 prints
Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.