Volume 1: Eastern United States
Louisiana: LA-15

St. Eloi Church 
1335 Bayou Dularge Road
P.O. Box 87
Theriot, LA 70397

Phone: 985-872-2946


History: Houma Indians settled in Terrebonne Parish, 18-19th centuries. Bayou du Large settlement began, 1830s.


New Orleans diocesan priests from Houma, St. Francis de Sales, founded and attended St. Eloi [Eligius] Church (Houma), Theriot/ Bayou du Large

1890s-present (Houma-Thibodaux, 1977-present)

New Orleans and Houma-Thidbodaux archd/iocesan priests have administered St. Eloi

1939-1980s (closed)

Eucharistic Missionaries of St. Dominic established a convent at St. Eloi, from which they served the parish

1950-1950s (closed)

Eucharistic Missionaries of St. Dominic and laity staffed a parish grade school

1980s (Houma-Thibodaux, 1977-present)

Rev. Roch Naquin (Houma) administered St. Eloi

1990s-present (Houma-Thibodaux, 1977-present)

Permanent deacons served the parish

Diocesan priests from St. Eloi attended the following missions and stations among the Houma Indians:

By 1915-1952 (became a parish)

Holy Family Mission, Dulac/ Grand Caillou

By 1921-1950s (closed)

Blessed Sacrament Mission, Grand Caillou

1920s-1980s (closed)

Immaculate Conception Mission, Lower Bayou du Large

1930-1960s (closed)

Ashland station

1930-1952 (transferred to Holy Family, Dulac)

King Bayou station


Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: Ca. 1900-present

Volume: Several volumes

Description: Sacramental records (e.g. baptisms, marriages, burials) for Houma Indian parishioners of St. Eloi Church, Theriot.


Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.


Archival materials from the Raynor Memorial Libraries

Marquette Archives