GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 1: Eastern United States
Ohio: OH-6

Catholic Church. Diocese of Cleveland. Archives
1404 East Ninth Street
Cleveland, OH 44114

Phone: 216-696-6525
Email: info@dioceseofcleveland.org
https://www.dioceseofcleveland.org/

 

Hours: See website

Access: See website

Copying facilities: Yes

 

History: The Diocese of Cleveland was erected for northern Ohio, 1847, from territory of the Diocese of Cincinnati. The Cleveland Diocese lost territory when new dioceses were erected, 1910-1943. The Cleveland Diocese has served several parishes and schools that have had a few Native American parishioners (e.g. Huron, Maya, Mohawk).

1950s-present

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, Cleveland west side

1950s-2010 (closed)

St. Catherine Church, Cleveland

1950s-present

St. Colman Church, Cleveland

1950s-present

St. Ignatius of Antioch Church, Cleveland

1950s-present

St. Jerome Church, Cleveland

1950s-present

St. John Cantius Church, Cleveland

1950s-present

St. Leo the Great Church, Cleveland

1950s-present

St. Michael the Archangel Church, Cleveland

1950s-present

St. Patrick Church, Cleveland, Bridge Avenue

1950s-2010 (closed)

St. Philip Neri Church, Cleveland

1950s-present

St. Stephen Church, Cleveland

1950s-present

St. Francis of Assisi Church, Gates Mills

1950s-present

St. James Church, Lakewood

1950s-present

St. Mary Church, Lorain

1950s-2010 (closed)

Ss. Philip and James Church, Cleveland

1970s-2010 (closed)

Blessed Sacrament Church, Cleveland

1970s-present

Immaculate Conception Church, Cleveland

1970s-2010 (closed)

Our Lady of Good Counsel Church, Cleveland

1970s-present

Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Cleveland

1970s-present

St. Raphael Church, Bay Village

1980s-present

Urban Community School, Cleveland

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1950s-ongoing

Volume: Few records

Description: Sacramental records (e.g. baptisms, marriages, burials) for parishes with Native American parishioners. For records of open parishes, see the guide entry and contact the parish. For records of closed parishes, contact the diocesan archives.

A. Bay Village, St. Raphael Church

B. Cleveland, Blessed Sacrament Church; closed

C. Cleveland, Immaculate Conception Church

D. Cleveland, Our Lady of Good Counsel Church; closed

E. Cleveland, Our Lady of Lourdes Church

F. Cleveland west side, Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church

G. Cleveland, St. Catherine Church; closed

H. Cleveland, St. Colman Church

I. Cleveland, St. Ignatius of Antioch Church

J. Cleveland, St. Jerome Church

K. Cleveland, St. John Cantius Church

L. Cleveland, St. Leo the Great Church

M. Cleveland, St. Michael the Archangel Church

N. Cleveland, Bridge Avenue, St. Patrick Church

O. Cleveland, Ss. Philip and James Church; closed

P. Cleveland, St. Philip Neri Church; closed

Q. Cleveland, St. Stephen Church

R. Gates Mills, St. Francis of Assisi Church

S. Lakewood, St. James Church

T. Lorain, St. Mary Church

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.

New2017

Archival materials from the Raynor Memorial Libraries


Marquette Archives