GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 1: Eastern United States
Pennsylvania: PA-1

Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia
Our Lady of Angels Convent
609 South Convent Road
Aston, PA 19014

Phone: 610-459-4125
Email: See website

 

Hours: See website

Access: See website

Copying facilities: Yes

 

History: Founded in Philadelphia, 1855, the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia self-identify with the post-nominal initials, “O.S.F.” and staffed the following Native American schools:

1887-1949

St. Louis Girls Boarding School (Osage), Pawhuska, Oklahoma; destroyed by fire, 1889, and reopened the same year

1888-1970s (transferred to community corporation)

St. Ann School (Umatilla), Umatilla Reservation, Pendleton, Oregon

1888-1948

St. Elizabeth Boarding School (Chickasaw, Choctaw), Purcell, Oklahoma

1888-1907

St. John School (Osage), Gray Horse, Osage Reservation, Oklahoma

1892-1964 (closed)

St. Patrick Mission School (Kiowa, Comanche, Caddo, Apache), Anadarko, Oklahoma

1892-1975 (transferred to St. Stephens Indian Education Association)

St. Stephen’s Mission School (Arapaho, Shoshoni), St. Stephens, Wind River Reservation, Wyoming

1899-ca. 1940 (no longer Native)

St. Joseph School (Chickasaw), Chickasha, Oklahoma

1901-1948

St. Elizabeth Day School (Chickasaw, Choctaw), Purcell, Oklahoma

1901-1913

St. Louis Day School (Osage), Pawhuska, Osage Reservation, Oklahoma

1989-present

St. Stephen’s Mission (Arapaho, Shoshoni), St. Stephens, Wind River Reservation, Wyoming

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans: Unknown.

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives.

new2006/rev2019-2020