GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 3: Western United States
Arizona: AZ-39

San Solano Missions
Route Nineteenth and Topawa Road
P.O. Box 210
Topawa, Arizona 85639

Phone: 520-383-2350

 

History: the Franciscan (Santa Barbara Province) (Archives: Santa Barbara, California) established San Solano Missions, Topawa, Tohono O’odham Reservation, Arizona, 1912, which has comprised its mission outreach to the following Native American (Tohono O’odham) missions and stations on and near the Tohono O’odham/ Papago Reservation and in the Diocese of Tucson (Archives: Tucson, Arizona).

1912-present

St. Augustine Mission, Chuichu

1913-present

St. Elizabeth Mission, Cockleburr

1913-1950, 1960-present

Coyote Village Mission, Coyote Fields

1913-1950, 1970-present

St. Peter/ San Pedro Village Mission, San Pedro

1913-1964 (closed)

 

Ss. Simon and Jude Mission, Gila Bend; near Tohono O’odham Reservation

1917-present

Vaf Kuech Village Mission, Vaf Kuech; unidentified place

1920-present

Our Lady of Guadalupe/ Cowlic Mission, Cowlic

1930-present

Lady of the Sacred Heart Mission, Covered Wells

1930-present

St. Clare Mission, Anegam

1930-present

St. Elizabeth Mission, Santa Rosa

1930-present

St. Mary Mission, Cobabi

1930-present

Queen/ Our Lady of Angels Mission, San Miguel

1930-present

St. Aloysius Mission, Big Field

1930-present

San Jose Mission, Pisinemo

1932-1970 (closed) 

St. Margaret Mary Chapel, Emika

1938-present

San Serafin Mission, Ak Chin; Ak Chin Reservation

1940-1990 (closed) 

Kaka station

1940-present

Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Mission, Sells

1940-present

St. Paschal Mission, Vamori

1940-present

Santa Cruz Mission, Santa Cruz

1940-present

Our Lady of Lourdes Mission, Little Tucson

1940-present

St. Paul Mission, Fresnal Canyon/ Fresnal

1940-present

St. Anthony Mission, Gu Vo

1940-present

Sacred Heart Mission, Comobabi

1940-present

St. Agatha/ St. Maurice Mission, Sil Nakya

1940-present

St. Elizabeth/ Santa Rosa Ranch Mission, Santa Rosa Ranch

1940-present

St. Martin Mission, Gunsight

1940-present

Immaculate Conception/ Santa Maria Mission, Ventana

1940-present

St. Anthony Mission, Cold Fields

1950-present

Ss. Peter and Paul/ St. Rafael Mission, Meneger’s Dam

1950-present

St. Simon Mission, San Simon

1950-present

St. Therese Mission, Pia Oik

1950-present

San Isidro Mission, Havana Nakya

1950-present

Queenswell Village/ Queen’s Wells Mission, Queenswell Village/Queen’s Wells

1950-present

St. Barbara Mission, Vaya Chin

1950-present

Santa Maria Mission, Nolic

1950-present

Choulic Mission, Choulic

1950-present

St. Mary Mission, South Hickiwan

ca. 1950-unknown

Big Flats Chapel, Big Flats

ca. 1950-unknown

Cubo Chapel, Cubo

ca. 1950-unknown

Copeka Chapel, Copeka

ca. 1950-unknown

Lourdes Mission and School, Lourdes

ca. 1950-unknown

Pacinimo Mission and School, Pacinimo

ca. 1950-unknown

San Lorenzo Chapel, San Lorenzo

ca. 1950-unknown

Wahewa Vo Chapel, Wahewa Vo

1960-present

St. Ignatius Mission, North Komelic

1960-present

St. Mary Magdalene Mission, Kohatk

1960-present

St. Francis Mission, South Hickiwan

1960-present

San Isidro Mission, Sikul Himatk

1960-present

Mount Carmel Mission, San Carmelo

1960-present

St. Jude Mission, South Komelic

1970-present

Santa Cruz Mission, Charco 27

1970-present

Santa Cruz Mission, Komovo

1970-present

St. Louis Mission, San Luis

1980-present

St. Francis Mission, Whitehorse Pass

1980-present

St. Clare Mission, Cockleburr

1980-present

St. Anthony Mission, Jackrabbitt

Unknown-present

St. Francis Mission, Cockleburr

Unknown-present

San Jose Mission, North Hickiwan

Unknown-present

Pan Tak Village Mission, Pan Tak Village

Unknown-present

St. Francis Xavier Mission, unknown village

Unknown-present

St. Michael Mission, New Fields

Religious sisters staffed and/or evangelized at the following missions and schools on the Tohono O’odham Reservation:

1930-1939 (transferred to Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange) (Orange, California)

Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (United States Province) (Tucson, Arizona) staffed St. Anthony School, Topawa

1930-1939 (transferred to Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange)

Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary staffed St. Joseph School, San Miguel

1930-1939 (transferred to Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange)

Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary staffed Our Lady of Guadalupe School, Cowlic

1930-1939 (closed)

Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary staffed Our Lady of Lourdes School, Little Tucson

1930-1939 (transferred to Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity) (Manitowoc, Wisconsin)

Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary staffed St. Joseph School, Pisinemo

1932-1936 (transferred to Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange)

Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary staffed St. Aloysius School, Big Fields

1932-1936 (closed)

Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary staffed Gue Va School, Gue Va

1932-1939 (transferred to Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity)

Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary staffed Sacred Heart School, Covered Wells

1936-present

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity staffed San Jose School, Pisinemo

1939-1973

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity staffed Sacred Heart School, Covered Wells

1939-1941 (transferred to Franciscan Sisters of Charity)

Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange staffed St. Anthony School, Topawa

1939-1941 (transferred to Franciscan Sisters of Charity)

Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange staffed St. Aloysius School, Big Fields

1939-1941 (transferred to Franciscan Sisters of Charity)

Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange staffed St. Paschal Mission School, Vamuri

1939-1941 (transferred to Franciscan Sisters of Charity)

Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange staffed Cold Fields Mission School, Cold Fields

1939-1941 (transferred to Franciscan Sisters of Charity)

Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange staffed Tecolote Valley Mission School, Tecolote Valley

1939-1941 (transferred to Franciscan Sisters of Charity)

Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange staffed Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission School, Cowlic

1939-1941 (transferred to Franciscan Sisters of Charity)

Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange staffed St. Joseph Mission School, San Miguel

1941-1960 (closed)

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity staffed St. Joseph School, San Miguel

1941-1961 (closed)

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity staffed Our Lady of Guadalupe School, Cowlic

1942-present

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity staffed St. Catherine School, Topawa

1985-present

School Sisters of Notre Dame (Dallas Province) (Dallas, Texas) have staffed Sacred Heart Mission School, Covered Wells

1994-present

Sisters of St. Francis of the Holy Family (Dubuque, Iowa) have evangelized San Solano Missions

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans: 

Inclusive dates: 1909-ongoing

Volume: Several volumes and files  

Description: 2 series include Native Catholic records:

 

/1 San Solano Mission Reports

Inclusive dates: Unknown-ongoing

Volume: At least 5 volumes

Description: Annual mission and school reports. 

 

/2 Sacramental Records

Inclusive dates: 1908-ongoing

Volume: Several volumes 

Description: Records (e.g. baptisms, marriages, burials) for Native American parishioners at the following missions and parishes:

A. Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church, Florence, 1922-1954; few Pima Indians

B. Immaculate Conception Mission, Ajo, 1955-1956; few Tohono O’odham Indians

C. [Fort Yuma Government Indian School?], Fort Yuma, dates unknown; Yuma Indians

D. San Solano Missions, Topawa, dates unknown; Tohono O’odham Indians

E. Santa Cruz Mission, Tucson, dates unknown; Maricopa, Pima, and Tohono O’odham Indians

F. St. Anthony of Padua Church, Casa Grande, 1932-1958; Maricopa, Pima, and Tohono O’odham Indians

G. St. Augustine Cathedral, Tucson, dates unknown; few Pima, Tohono O’odham and/or Yaqui Indians

H. St. Catherine Mission, Topawa, dates unknown; Tohono O’odham Indians

I. Unidentified parishes, 1913-1952, 1 volume; marriage registrar; no Indians known

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places. 

new2006/rev2020