GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 3: Western United States
Colorado: CO-4

National Archives at Denver
17101 Huron Street
Broomfield, CO 80023

Phone: 303-604-4740
Email: Denver.archives@nara.gov

 

Hours: See website 

Access: Some restrictions apply  

Copying facilities: Yes 

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1800-1995 

Volume: Less than 1% of an estimated 10,000 cubic feet and 3,822 reels of microfilm

Description: 7 record groups include Native Catholic records; includes the records of the former National Archives repositories at Anchorage and Seattle.

 

/1 “Record Group 48, Records of the Office of the Secretary of the Interior”

Inclusive dates: 1849-1903

Volume: Less than 1% of 159 reels of microfilm

Description: Within the Office of the Secretary of the Interior, the Indian Division managed most of the Native-related administrative issues up until 1907 when the division was abolished. Contained within the incoming correspondence to this division are letters from religious leaders, generally filed in a miscellaneous category. Outgoing correspondence from the Indian Division contains materials pertaining to missionary work.

A. “Letters Sent to the Indian Division of the Department of the Interior, M606,” ca. 1849-1903; less than 1% of 127 reels of microfilm

B. “Selected Classes of Letters Received by the Indian Division of the Office of the Secretary of the Interior, 1849-1880, M825,” ca. 1849-1880; less than 1% of 32 reels of microfilm

 

/2 “Record Group 49, Records of the Bureau of Land Management”

Inclusive dates: 1884-1995

Volume: Less than 1% of 1,011 cubic feet and 295 reels of microfilm

Description: The General Land Office preceded the Bureau of Land Management; among the General Land Office records are registers, surveys, and tract books on public land disposal. “The files consist of the records of the Alaska State Office, Anchorage and include land offices at Circle, Fairbanks, Juneau, Nome, Nulato, Peary, Rampart, St. Michael, Sitka, and Weare. The offices of the Alaska Fire Control Service (Anchorage District) and of the Surveyor General, Sitka and Juneau are also included.” More related Federal Land Records include:

A. “Federal Land Records for Idaho, M1620” Inclusive dates: 1860-1934 Volume: Less than 1% of 23 reels of microfilm

B. “Federal Land Records for Oregon, M1621” Inclusive dates: 1854-1908 Volume: Less than 1% of 93 reels of microfilm

C. “Federal Land Records for Washington, M1622” Inclusive dates: 1860-1910 Volume: Less than 1% of 72 reels of microfilm

D. “Oregon and Washington Donation Land Files, M815” Inclusive dates: 1851-1903 Volume: Less than 1% of 108 reels of microfilm

 

/3 “Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs”

Inclusive dates: 1850-1992

Volume: Less than 1% of an estimated 10,000 cubic feet and 2,963 reels of microfilm

Description: Selected surveying indicates that most Catholic-related records are correspondence, quarterly school reports, and school contracts, which typically comprise between .04 and .2% of the records from Bureau of Indian Affairs Agencies, e.g. Menominee Agency, Wisconsin, between .1 to .2% of ca. 100 cubic feet and Pine Ridge Agency, South Dakota, .04% of approximately 500 cubic feet. Major correspondents include the superior at the Catholic mission, the Indian agent or superintendent, and the Commissioner of Indian Affairs. Primary subjects include financial matters and the transfer of students to and from mission schools.

 

Original records

A. “Aberdeen Area Office,” ca. 1959-1968, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; administered Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota.

B. “Alaska Division,” 1886-1889, 1912-1983, less than 1% of 1,010 cubic feet; administered Alaska.

C. “Albuquerque Area Office,” ca. 1877-1989, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; administered New Mexico.

D. “Albuquerque Indian School,” ca. 1886-1954, less than 1% of approximately 11.5 cubic feet; established 1881 and placed under Bureau of Indian Affairs control in 1886.

E. “Billings Area Office,” ca. 1903-1974, less than 1% of over 190 cubic feet; administered Montana and Wyoming.

F. “Blackfeet Agency,” ca 1873-1960, less than 1% of ca. 43 cubic feet; established 1855.

G. “Chemawa Indian School,” 1880-1975, less than 1% of 103 cubic feet; the Chemawa (Salem) Indian School was established in Forest Grove, Oregon, 1880, and moved to Salem, 1885, and had agency duties for the Grand Ronde and Siletz Reservations, 1885-1938, when it was replaced by the Grande Ronde-Siletz Agency.

H. “Charles H. Burke Indian School,” ca. 1926-1939, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; on Navajo Reservation.

I. “Cimarron and Abiquiu (Jicarilla) Agencies,” ca. 1869-1983, less than 1% of ca. 4.5 cubic feet; the Abiquiu Agency was established, 1854, with jurisdiction over the Jicarilla Apache and Ute Indians in New Mexico; the Abiquiu Agency was placed under the Pueblo Agency, 1878, renamed the Jicarilla Subagency, 1881, and abolished, 1883.

J. “Colville Indian Agency,” 1865-1973; less than 1% of 504 cubic feet; the Colville Agency was established, 1872, for the Colville, Spokane, and Coeur d’ Alene Reservations; the Coeur d’ Alene and Spokane agencies were separated, 1905 and 1912 respectively, and Spokane was reconsolidated with Colville, 1925

K. “Consolidated Ute Agency,” ca. 1878-1952, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; administered the Ute Reservation in Utah.

L. “Crow Agency,” 1872-1992, less than 1% of ca. 79 cubic feet

M. “Denver Field Assistance Office,” ca. 1956-1971, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; in Montana.

N. “Eastern Navajo Subagency,” ca. 1952-1961, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; in New Mexico.

O. “Fifth Irrigation District,” ca. 1908-1936, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet

P. “Flathead Agency,” ca. 1898-1980, less than 1% of ca. 62 cubic feet; administered Salish and Kootenai Indians of Montana.

Q. “Fort Apache Agency,” ca. 1946-1967, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; administered the Fort Apache Reservation in Arizona.

R. “Fort Belknap Agency,” ca. 1878-1969, less than 1% of ca. 86 cubic feet; in Montana.

S. “Fort Hall Indian Agency,” 1909-1963; less than 1% of 160 cubic feet; the Fort Hall Reservation was established, 1869, with the Lemhi Agency consolidated with it, 1879, then separated, 1880, and reconsolidated again, 1907.

T. “Fort Lewis Indian School,” ca. 1892-1916, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; in Colorado.

U. “Fort Peck Agency,” ca. 1881-1969, less than 1% of ca. 205 cubic feet; in Montana.

V. “Fort Shaw Indian School,” ca. 1891-1910, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; in Montana.

W. “Gallup Area Office,” ca. 1913-1968, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; administered activities in Arizona and New Mexico.

X. “Grand Ronde-Siletz Indian Agency,” 1863-1958; less than 1% of 151 cubic feet; the Grand Ronde-Siletz Agency was established, 1938, from parts of the Chemawa Agency; it was preceded by the separate Grand Ronde and Siletz Agencies established, 1856, and consolidated, 1909 and 1925, respectively, with the Chemawa Agency; the Grand Ronde-Siletz Agency was terminated, 1956.

Y. “Hoquiam Indian Agency,” dates unknown; less than 1% of 3 cubic feet; in Washington State

Z. “Ignacio Boarding School,” ca. 1937-1979, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet

AA. “Interdepartmental Rio Grande Board,” ca. 1937-1942, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet

BB. “Intermountain Indian School,” ca. 1953-1984, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; opened 1950 and closed 1984.

CC. “Jicarilla Apache Agency,” ca. 1890-1966, less than 1% of ca. 17 cubic feet (General Correspondence file, 1911-1950, only)

DD. “Juneau Area Office,” 1887-1982, less than 1% of 3 cubic feet; established, 1956

EE. “Klamath Indian Agency,” 1865-1960; less than 1% of 705 cubic feet; the Klamath Agency was established as a subagency, 1862, and became a full agency, 1872; it remained an agency until the reservation was terminated, 1961

FF. “Laguna Sanitorium,” ca. 1926-1933, less than 1% of ca. 15 cubic feet; the Laguna Sanitorium was established, 1911, and closed, 1933. It served Indians from Arizona and New Mexico who suffered from /trachoma and tuberculosis.

GG. “Malheur Indian Agency,” 1875-1882; less than 1% of 4 cubic feet; the Malheur Agency was established, 1873, for the Shoshoni, Bannock and Paiute Indians of the Malheur Reservation; it was abolished, 1882, after most of its residents had left, primarily for the Yakima Reservation

HH. “Mescalero Agency,” 1874-1946, less than 1% of ca. 36 cubic feet

II. “Navajo Agency,” ca. 1883-1952, less than 1% of 77 cubic feet; established, 1852, and subdivided, 1904; served the Navajo Reservation.

JJ. “Navajo Service,” ca. 1928-1951, less than 1% of 9 cubic feet; the Navajo agencies were consolidated, 1934, and continue to the present.

KK. “Navajo Springs Agency,” ca. 1900-1914, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; within the Navajo Reservation.

LL. “Northern Cheyenne Agency,” 1889-1985, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; within the records under “General Correspondence Files, 1900-1925,” Boxes 4, 12-13, 22, contain 9 folders of contracts, correspondence, and quarterly attendance reports for St. Labre School, Ashland, Montana.

MM. “Northern Idaho Indian Agency,” 1871-1969; less than 1% of 300 cubic feet; established, 1933, by consolidating the Fort Lapwai and Nez Perce Agencies, that were initially established, 1857, as the “Washington East of the Cascades” and “Coeur d’Alene” Agencies, and received its current name, 1937

NN. “Northern Navajo Agency,” ca. 1928-1945, less than 1% of 6 cubic feet; established 1904 and continued as a subagency, 1934, with the consolidation of Navajo Reservation jurisdictions.

OO. “Northern Pueblos Agency,” ca. 1911-1938, less than 1% of ca. 69 cubic feet; the Northern Pueblo Agency was established in 1919 when the Pueblo Indian Agency and Day Schools jurisdiction was abolished. The Northern Pueblo Agency was abolished in 1931, reestablished in 1935, and abolished again, in 1936. At various times, the agency had jurisdiction over the Cochiti, Nambe, Picuris, Pojoaque, San Ildefonso, San Juan, Santa Clara, Santo Domingo, Taos, and Tesuque reservations. Records re: Catholic Church and schools include: “General Correspondence File, Miscellaneous school correspondence not otherwise classified,” 1900-1935, 1 or more folders of Boxes 63, 67, 71-72; St. Catharine’s School, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 1916-1935, 2 folders.

PP. “Olympic Agency,” 1973-1980; less than 1% of unknown cubic feet

QQ. “Phoenix Area Office,” ca. 1929-1971, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; administrated agencies in Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah.

RR. “Portland Area Office,” 1887-1982; less than 1% of 737 cubic feet; established, 1950, and administered agencies in Idaho, Oregon and Washington.

SS. “Pueblo Day Schools at Albuquerque,” ca. 1911-1914, less than 1% of ca. .2 cubic foot

TT. “Pueblo Day School at Santa Fe,” ca. 1911-1912, less than 1% of ca. .3 cubic foot

UU. “Pueblo Indian Agency and Day Schools,” ca. 1912-1919, less than 1% of ca. 1.5 cubic feet; this jurisdiction had responsibility for the northern and southern district pueblo tribes and day schools, the Laguna Sanitarium, and the Canoncito and Alamo Navajo communities.

VV. “Pueblo and Pueblo and Jicarilla Agencies,” ca. 1871-1900, less than 1% of ca. 62 cubic feet; the Pueblo Agency, established, 1854, was consolidated with the Jicarilla [Apache] Subagency and formed the Pueblo and Jicarilla Agency, 1891; and this combined agency was abolished, 1901.

WW. “Pueblos Land Board,” ca. 1918-1932, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet

XX. “Puget Sound Agency,” 1881-1983; less than 1% of 16 cubic feet; established, 1851, and succeeded, 1861, by the Puyallup, Tulalip, Neah Bay, Skokmish, and Quinaielt Agencies

YY. “Puyallup Indian Agency,” 1882-1923; less than 1% of 43 cubic feet; first established, 1861, and reestablished, 1888, by consolidating the Nisqually, Skokmish, and Quilnaielt Agencies; it was renamed the Cushman School Agency, 1910, and abolished, 1920, with the transfer of tribes to both the Tulalip and Taholah Agencies

ZZ. “Shiprock Subagency,” ca. 1940-1980, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; within the Navajo Reservation

AAA. “Santa Fe Indian School,” ca. 1890-1935, scant amount of ca. 74 cubic feet; opened, 1890, and closed 1962.

BBB. “Seattle Support Center,” 1963-1971; less than 1% of 42 cubic feet

CCC. “Shiprock Boarding School,” ca. 1944-1952, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; established, 1903, and phased out 1980s.

DDD. “Southern Paiute Field Station,” 1969, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; in Utah.

EEE. “Southern Pueblos Agency,” ca. 1911-1935, less than 1% of 60 cubic feet; the Southern Pueblos Agency succeeded the Pueblo Indian Agency and Day Schools jurisdiction, 1919m and was abolished, 1935. At various times, it had jurisdiction over the Acoma, Cochiti, Isleta, Jemez, Laguna, San Felipe, Sandia, Santa Ana, Santo Domingo, and Zia reservations; the “General Correspondence File, 1911-1935,” includes 4 folders, “Religious, 1929-1935,” re: Catholic Church and Franciscans in New Mexico, Boxes 88-89 and 1 folder, “Education, non-reservation schools, 1926-1935,” re: St. Catharine’s School, Santa Fe, New Mexico, Box 132.

FFF. “Southern Ute Agency,” ca. 1877-1952, less than 1% of 65 cubic feet; established 1877.

GGG. “Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute,” 1971-1981, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

HHH. “Spokane Agency,” 1885-1950; less than 1% of 14 cubic feet; established, 1912, by separating from the Colville Agency and reconsolidating with it as a sub-agency, 1924

III. “Taholah Indian Agency,” 1886-1958; less than 1% of 185 cubic feet; established, 1914; both the Cushman School and Neah Bay Agencies, established, 1861, were consolidated with the Taholah Agency, 1920 and 1933 respectively. The Taholah and Tulalip Agencies consolidated and formed the Western Washington Agency, 1950

JJJ. “Toadlena Day School,” ca. 1941-1952, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; in New Mexico.

KKK. “Tuba City Subagency,” ca. 1944-1958, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; within the Navajo Reservation in Arizona.

LLL. “Tulalip Indian Agency,” 1854-1952; less than 1% of 201 cubic feet; established, 1861, from portions of the Puget Sound District Agency; the Tulalip and Taholah Agencies consolidated and formed the Western Washington Agency, 1950

MMM. “Uintah and Ouray Agency,” ca. 1897-1953, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet; the Whiterocks Agency with the Uintah Valley Reservation and the Ouray Agency with the Ouray Reservation were established for Ute Indians in Utah, 1861 and 1880 respectively, and consolidated as the Uintah and Ouray Agency, 1886.

NNN. “Umatilla Indian Agency,” 1862-1976; less than 1% of 74 cubic feet; established, 1861, with additional responsibilities transferred from the Warm Springs and Yakima Agencies, 1836

OOO. “United Pueblos Agency,” ca. 1935-1979, less than 1% of approximately 180 cubic feet; established, 1935, and abolished, 1969. The records include “General Correspondence File, 1935-1943:” Box 120, 120.5, Policy, Religion, re: Catholic worship and release time from school for worship at Isleta, Laguna, and Paguate, 1936; 1 folder.

PPP. “Wapato Irrigation Project,” 1906-1986; less than 1% of 177 cubic feet; established, 1906, to ensure a water supply for the Yakima Reservation

QQQ. “Warm Springs Indian Agency,” 1861-1965; less than 1% of 252 cubic feet; established, 1851, as the Roseburg Agency and consolidated with the Warm Springs Agency, 1917-1936.

RRR. “Western Washington Agency,” 1928-1975; less than 1% of 246 cubic feet; established, 1950, through the consolidation of the Tulalip and Taholah Agencies.

SSS. “Window Rock Area Office,” 1952-1961, less than 1% of unknown cubic feet

TTT. “Wind River Agency,” ca. 1870-1985, less than 1% of ca. .6 cubic foot; the Wind River Agency following the Fort Laramie Treaty of 1868. The Wind River Agency “General Administrative Records, 1890-1960,” include petitions, correspondence, and quarterly attendance reports from St. Stephen’s School, 1909-1959, within 37 folders in Boxes 72-74, 228, 362, 365.

UUU. “Yakima Indian Agency,” 1850-1970; less than 1% of 591 cubic feet; established, 1859

VVV. “Zuni Agency,” ca. 1899-1935, less than 1% of ca. 25 cubic feet; established, ca. 1902, subordinated to the United Pueblos Agency, 1935, and restored as an independent jurisdiction, 1952.

 

Microfilm

A. “Letters Sent by the Secretary of War Relating to Indian Affairs, M15,” 1800-1824; less than 1% of 6 reels of microfilm

B. “Letters Received by the Office of the Secretary of War Relating to Indian Affairs, M271,” 1800-1823, less than 1% of 4 reels of microfilm

C. “Letters Sent by the Superintendent of Indian Trade, M16,” 1807-1823, less than 1% of 6 reels of microfilm

D. “Letters Received by the Superintendent of Indian Trade, T58,” 1806-1824, less than 1% of 1 reel of microfilm

E. “Letters Sent by the Office of Indian Affairs, M21,” 1824-1881, less than 1% of 166 reels of microfilm

F. “Registers of Letters Received by the Office of the Secretary of War, Main Series, M22,” ca. 1800-1870; less than 1% of 134 reels of microfilm

G. “Special Files of the Office of Indian Affairs, M574” ca. 1807-1904; less than 1% of 85 reels of microfilm

H. “Register of Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, M18,” ca. 1824-1880; less than 1% of 126 reels of microfilm

I. “Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, M234,” 1824-1881, less than 1% of 962 reels of microfilm

J. “Report Books of the Office of Indian Affairs, M348,” ca. 1838-1885; less than 1% of 53 reels of microfilm

K. “Indexes to Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, P2187,” 1881-1907, less than 1% of 1 roll of microfilm; index only

L. “Reports of Inspections of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, M1070,” ca. 1873-1900, less than 1% of 14 reels of microfilm; rolls 1-4, 7, 11, 14, 15, 41, 48, 49, 51, 54, 58 only.

M. “Superintendent's Annual Narrative and Statistical Reports from Field Jurisdictions of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, M1011,” ca. 1907-1938, less than 1% of 174 reels of microfilm

N. “Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, M234,” 1906-1913; less than 1% of 962 reels of microfilm

O. “Arizona Superintendency, M734,” 1863-1873, less than 1% of 8 reels of microfilm

P. “Dakota Superintendency and Wyoming Superintendency, M1016,” 1861-1878, less than 1% of 13 reels of microfilm

Q. “Idaho Superintendency, M832,” 1863-1870; less than 1% of 3 reels of microfilm

R. “Michigan Superintendency, M1,” 1814-1851, less than 1% of 71 reels of microfilm

S. “Montana Superintendency, M833,” 1867-1873, less than 1% of 3 reels of microfilm

T. “Nevada Superintendency, M837,” ca. 1869-1870, less than 1% of 1 reel of microfilm

U. “New Mexico Superintendency, T21,” ca. 1814-1880, less than 1% of 30 reels of microfilm

V. “Oregon Superintendency, M2,” ca. 1848-1873; less than 1% of 29 reels of microfilm

W. “Pueblo Indian Agency: Miscellaneous Letters Sent, M941,” 1874-1891, less than 1% of 10 reels of microfilm

X. “Field Agencies Having Jurisdiction over the Pueblo Records, M1304,” 1874-1900, less than 1% of 32 reels of microfilm

Y. “Puget Sound District Agency and Tulalip Agency: Correspondence and Accounting Records, P2011,” 1854-1886, less than 1% of 3 reels of microfilm

Z. “Santa Fe Indian School, M1473,” 1890-1918, less than 1% of 38 reels of microfilm

AA. “Utah Superintendency, M834,” ca. 1853-1870, less than 1% of 2 reels of microfilm

BB. “Washington Superintendency, M5,” ca. 1853-1874; less than 1% of 26 reels of microfilm

 

/4 “Record Group 95, Records of the Forest Service, Civilian Conservation Corps, Region 10, Alaska Region” 

Inclusive dates: ca. 1937-1942

Volume: Few folders (Less than 1 cubic foot) 

Description: Opened in 1921 as Region 8 (now Region 10) with jurisdiction in Alaska; includes correspondence relating to Civilian Conservation Corps activities, such as these road building projects:

A. St. Michael’s Mission (Eskimo), St. Michael, 1937-1939

B. St. Mary’s Mission (Eskimo), Akulurak, 1938-1940

 

/5 “Record Group 126, Records of the Office of Territories and its Predecessors Relating to Alaska, M939” 

Inclusive dates: 1909-1958

Volume: Less than 1% of 378 reels of microfilm

Description: Alaska functioned formally as a U.S. territory from 1912 to 1958; included is a Holy Cross (formerly Kosoreffsky) town file.

 

/6 “Record Group 316 (formerly Record Group 200), Private Papers Given to the U.S. National Archives”

Inclusive dates: ca. 1856-1969

Volume: Less than 1% of ca. 137 cubic feet and 20 reels of microfilm

Description: Limited amount of Native Catholic related materials in two collections of non-federal records donated to the National Archives:

A. “Makah Tribal Council,” 1935-1969; less than 1% of 19.5 cubic feet; includes minutes of tribal council meetings, clippings, correspondence, legal opinions and statements, maps, newsletters, reports, and surveys

B. “Papers of Edwin P. Chalcraft,” 1907-ca. 1925; less than 1% of 12 cubic feet; papers of Chalcraft, B.I.A. Superintendent of the Chehalis and Chemawa Indian Schools and the Grand Ronde-Siletz Agency; re: agency and school activities with photographs; Chemawa School had a Catholic chaplain

C. Sir Henry S. Wellcome Collection, Z16,” ca. 1856-1936, less than 1% of 105 cubic feet and 20 reels of microfilm; papers of Rev. William Duncan (Anglican) and the Metlakahtla Tsimshian Indians, Annette Island, Alaska; Includes a few letters referring to Catholic evangelization in Alaska at Holy Cross Mission (Eskimo), Kosoreffsky and St. Peter Claver Mission (Koyukon), Nulato and in British Columbia, Canada near Fort Rupert (now Prince Rupert) (Kwakiutl) and Fort Simpson (now Port Simpson) (Tsimshian), British Columbia; notable authors include Rev. Duncan and Sheldon Jackson, U.S. General Agent of Education.

 

/7 “Record Group 393, Records of U.S. Army Continental Commands, 1821-1920”

Inclusive dates: 1846-1851

Volume: Less than 1% within 7 reels of microfilm 

Description: “Tenth Military Department, 1846-1851, M210;” includes letters describing Native American attitudes about Catholic missions. 

 

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.

new2006/rev2019

Archival materials from the Raynor Memorial Libraries


Marquette Archives