GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 2: Midwest United States
Benedictine Sisters. Immaculate Conception Monastery. Archives
802 East Tenth Street
Ferdinand, IN 47532
Hours: By appointment only
Access: No restrictions
Copying facilities: Yes
History: Founded by St. Benedict in 5th century Italy, the Benedictine Sisters have self-identified with the post-nominal initials, “O.S.B.” The independent North American houses of Benedictine Sisters established the Federation of St. Gertrude the Great (Archives: Yankton, South Dakota), 1922, as a general community, which included five houses engaged in Native American ministry. Benedictine Sisters founded Immaculate Conception Monastery, Ferdinand, Indiana, 1867. They had taught at the following Catholic schools, which served Native American students in North Dakota.
Standing Rock Reservation Schools (Hunkpapa Lakota), North Dakota/ Dakota Territory
1933-1963 (transferred to Queen of Peace Monastery, Belcourt)
St. Ann School (Métis, Ojibwa), Belcourt, Turtle Mountain Reservation, North Dakota
Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:
Inclusive dates: 1930s-1950s
Volume: .1 cubic foot
Description: The series "Belcourt, North Dakota, St. Ann Mission, Queen of Peace Convent, North Dakota" includes:
1. Lists of religious sisters from the community who served the mission, 1878-1963, 1 folder
2. Photographs, 1930s-1950s, 50 prints; re: St. Ann Mission and School, Belcourt, North Dakota
Unless otherwise noted, the repository on this page holds (or held) the records described here and they are not held at the Marquette University Archives.