GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 2: Midwest United States
Sisters of the Good Shepherd. Mid-North America Province. Archives
7654 Natural Bridge Road
St. Louis, MO 63121
Hours: See website
Access: No restrictions
Copying facilities: Yes
History: St. Mary Euphrasia founded the Sisters of the Good Shepherd in France, 1835. They have self-identified with the post-nominal initials, “C.G.S” and “R.G.S.” and made their first U.S. foundation in Kentucky, 1842. The St. Louis Province, established 1849, organized and staffed Good Shepherd School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which served Ojibwa Indian students from North Dakota, 1884-1889 (closed). The U.S. provinces were realigned, 2000, which led to the creation of the Mid-North America Province.
Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:
Inclusive dates: 1877-1887
Volume: 2 pages
Description: “Annals of Our Milwaukee Convent” includes a description of activities at Good Shepherd School.
Unless otherwise noted, the repository on this page holds (or held) the records described here and they are not held at the Marquette University Archives.