GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 2: Midwest United States
North Dakota: ND-11

St. Anthony of Padua Church
9385 BIA Route 12
Mandaree, ND 58757
P.O. Box 760
New Town, ND 58763

Phone: 701-759-3412
Email: stamandaree16@gmail.com
 

History: St. Anthony of Padua Church, Mandaree, Fort Berthold Reservation, North Dakota, has been a predominantly Native American (Arikara, Hidatsa, Mandan) parish in the Diocese of Bismarck (Archives: Bismarck, North Dakota).

1889-1910

Rev. Francis M. Craft (mixed-race Mohawk) established a school at Elbowoods, Fort Berthold Reservation, which became Immaculate Conception Mission (Arikara, Hidatsa, Mandan)

1910-1953

Benedictines (Assumption Abbey, Richardton, North Dakota) administered Sacred Heart/ Immaculate Conception Mission

1910-1936

Benedictine Sisters (Sacred Heart Monastery, Richardton, North Dakota) staffed Sacred Heart School

1936-1939 (closed)

Sacred Heart School continued

1953

Due to the Garrison Dam Project, Sacred Heart Mission was moved from Elbowoods to Mandaree and renamed St. Anthony Church

1953-1980s

Benedictines administered St. Anthony Church, Mandaree, and St. Anthony Church, New Town

1980s-present

Bismarck diocesan priests have administered St. Anthony Church, Mandaree, and St. Anthony Church, New Town

Benedictines (1910-1980s) and diocesan priests (1980s-present) have administered the following missions among the Arikara, Hidatsa, and Mandan Indians of the Fort Berthold Reservation:

1906-1920 (transferred to St.  Anthony's, Van Hook, North Dakota)

Holy Family/ St. Michael's Mission, Shell Creek/ Shell Village

1906-1969 (closed)

St. Andrew Mission, Nishu/ Armstrong (relocated eastern segment of Reservation)

1907-1921 (closed)

St. John Mission, Crow Heart's Landing

1911-1920 (transferred to St. Anthony's, Van Hook)

St. Anthony's Mission, Independence

1921-1951 (closed)

Sacred Heart Mission, Deep Water Creek

1923-ca. 1924 (closed)

Indian Day School, Deep Water Creek

1925-1969 (closed)

Holy Family Mission, Shell Creek/ Shell Village (relocated northern segment of Reservation)

1925-present

St. Anthony Mission, Mandaree/ Independence (relocated western segment of Reservation)

1928-present

St. Joseph Mission, Twin Buttes/ Crow's Heart/ Little Missouri (relocated southern segment of Reservation)

1953-1969 (closed)

Immaculate Conception Mission, Packineau Dam Site/ Elbowoods (relocated northeast segment of Reservation)

1955-1970 (closed)

Queen of Peace Mission, Raub

1963-present

Sacred Heart Mission, White Shield

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1889-ongoing

Volume: At least 2.0 cubic feet

Description: The records at St. Anthony Church were not organized according to a classification scheme when reviewed by a Marquette University archivist, 1980. Consequently, this description is by record type.

 

/1 Sacramental records

Inclusive dates: 1889-ongoing

Volume: At least 12 volumes

Description: For St. Anthony Church and its Native missions:

A. Baptisms, 1889-ongoing

B. Marriages, 1892-ongoing

C. Deaths, 1905-ongoing

D. First communions, 1955-ongoing

E. Confirmations, 1929-ongoing

 

/2 Subject files

Inclusive dates: 1950s-present

Volume: At least 1.0 cubic foot

Description: Alphabetically arranged folders created by Rev. Aloysius Bittmann, O.S.B. and Rev. Stephen Kranz, O.S.B.; prominent subjects include: “Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions correspondence,” “Diocesan correspondence,” "Farm," financial and statistical statements, "Indian affairs," and "Tekakwitha Conference"

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.

new1984/rev2003-2020

Archival materials from the Raynor Memorial Libraries


Marquette Archives