GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 2: Midwest United States
Oklahoma: OK-13

Sacred Heart Church
333 South Eighth Street
Fairfax, OK 74637

Phone:918-642-5053
Email: See website (parish finder)
https://dioceseoftulsa.org/parishfinder

 

History: Sacred Heart Church, Fairfax, Osage Reservation, has been a predominantly Osage Indian parish administered by diocesan priests from St. Joseph's, Cleveland. 

1904-1906

Benedictines (now St. Benedict’s Abbey, Shawnee, Oklahoma) attended Fairfax station (Osage) from Immaculate Conception, Pawhuska

1906-1913

Oklahoma City diocesan priests attended Fairfax station from St. John’s, Gray Horse

1913-1915

Benedictines established and attended Sacred Heart Mission from St. John’s, Pawnee

1915-1925

Oklahoma City diocesan priests attended Sacred Heart from St. Francis, Stillwater

1925-present

Became a parish; Diocesan priests (Oklahoma City, 1925-1972; Tulsa, 1972-present) administered Sacred Heart Church

1927-1950, 1955-1962 (closed)

Carmelites of St. Therese (now Oklahoma City, Oklahoma) established and staffed Sacred Heart School

Oklahoma City diocesan priests from Sacred Heart attended the following missions and stations among the Osage Indians on the Osage Reservation:

1925-1926

Burbank station

1925-1928 (became a mission)

Foraker station

 

1925-1997 (closed)

St. Ann Mission, Shidler

1928-1941 (closed)

Immaculate Conception Mission, Foraker  

Sacred Heart Church also holds the records of St. John Mission and School, Gray Horse, Osage Reservation.

1887-1889

Benedictines (now St. Benedict’s Abbey, Shawnee, Oklahoma) attended Hominy Creek station (Osage) from Immaculate Conception, Pawhuska

1888-1907

Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia (Aston, Pennsylvania) established and staffed St. John School

1889-1895

Benedictines established and administered St. John Mission

1895-1913 (closed)

Oklahoma City diocesan priests administered St. John’s

1907-1913 (closed)

Christian Brothers (now Burr Ridge, Illinois) administered St. John’s school

Benedictines and Oklahoma City diocesan priests from St. John's attended the following missions and stations among the Osage, Kansa, and Pawnee Indians:

1893-1895 (transferred to St. Felix's, Ponca City)

Kaw Reservation station (Kansa)

1894-1895 (transferred to Immaculate Conception, Pawhuska)

Hominy station (Osage)

ca. 1894-1900 (transferred to St. Francis, Stillwater)

Pawnee City station (Pawnee)

1895-1901 (transferred to St. Francis, Stillwater)

Cleveland station (Pawnee)

1895-1904 (closed)

Osage City station (Osage)

1897-1913 (closed)

Gray Horse station (Osage)

1904-1913 (became a parish)

St. John the Evangelist Mission (Pawnee), Pawnee

1906-1913 (transferred to St. John's, Pawnee)

Fairfax station (Osage)

1907-1913 (transferred to St. John's, Pawnee)

Burbank station (Osage)

 

1908-ca. 1913 (closed)

Dogy Camp station (Osage)

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1887-ongoing

Volume: Several volumes

Description: Sacramental records (e.g. baptisms, marriages, burials) for Sacred Heart Church, St. John Mission, and their attended missions and stations among the Osage, Kaw, and Pawnee Indians; baptisms and marriages, 1887-ongoing, deaths, 1925-ongoing, first communions, 1926-ongoing, and confirmations, 1927-ongoing.

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.

New1984/rev2003-2018

Archival materials from the Raynor Memorial Libraries


Marquette Archives