GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 2: Midwest United States
Oklahoma: OK-25

Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Oklahoma City. Archives
Pastoral Center7501 NW Expressway
Oklahoma City, OK 73132
P.O. Box 32180
Oklahoma City, OK 73123-0380

Phone: 405-721-5651, Extension 141
Email: See website (About: Staff)
https://archokc.org/

 

Hours: See website

Access: Some restrictions apply

Copying facilities: Yes

 

History: The Prefecture Apostolic of the Indian Territory was erected, 1876, for all of present-day Oklahoma, and elevated to the Vicariate Apostolic of the Indian Territory, 1891. The Diocese of Oklahoma succeeded it, which was erected, 1905; renamed the Diocese of Oklahoma City and Tulsa, 1930; and split into two dioceses, 1973, with Oklahoma City elevated to an Archdiocese and Tulsa erected as a diocese. In 1900 the vicariate apostolate reported 3,000 baptized Native American Catholics for all of Oklahoma and in 1999 the archdiocese reported 5,000 for western Oklahoma. Within its area, the following mission, parishes, and schools have served Native Americans:

1872-1892 (no longer Native) (Oklahoma City, 1876-1892)

St. Patrick Mission (Choctaw), Atoka

1877-ca. 1940s (no longer Native)

Sacred Heart Church (Potawatomi), Konawa/ Sacred Heart

1884-1887 (no longer Native) 

Our Lady of Good Counsel Mission (Choctaw), Leigh

1886-1888 (no longer Native)

St. John Mission (Choctaw), McAlester

1886-ca. 1900 (no longer Native)

Our Lady of Victory/ St. Elizabeth Church (Choctaw, Chickasaw), Purcell

1887-1898 (closed)

Sacred Heart Mission (Choctaw), Boggy Depot

1887-present (Oklahoma City, 1887-1973)

Immaculate Conception Church (Osage), Pawhuska, Osage Reservation

1889-1913 (closed)

St. John Church (Osage), Gray Horse, Osage Reservation

1889-ca. 1939 (no longer Native)

St. John the Baptist Mission (Choctaw, Chickasaw), Lexington

1891-ca. 1900 (no longer Native)

Assumption Church (Creek), Muskogee

1891-1906 (no longer Native)

Blessed Sacrament Mission (Choctaw), Coalgate

1892-1910 (no longer Native)

Most Precious Blood Mission (Creek), Eufala

1892-present

St. Patrick Church (Kiowa, Comanche, Apache, Caddo, Wichita, Delaware), Anadarko  

1893-1925 (closed)

Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Mission (Shawnee), Tecumseh

1893-1927 (closed)

St. Mary of the Quapaws Church (Quapaw), Quapaw

1895-1909 (no longer Native)

Holy Cross Mission (Creek), Wagoner

1895-1925 (closed)

St. Mathias Mission (Cayuga), Cayuga

1895-1920s (no longer Native)

Holy Ghost Church (Cherokee), Vinita

1896-1925 (closed)

St. Gregory Mission (Potawatomi), Eason

1896-present

St. Benedict Church (Shawnee, Potawatomi), Shawnee

1897-1905 (closed)

St. Anthony Mission (Delaware), Lenapa

1897-1920s (no longer Native)

St. Mary Church (Choctaw, Chickasaw), Ardmore

1897-present (Oklahoma City 1897-1973)

St. Agnes Mission (Choctaw), Antlers

1897-present

St. Mary/ Our Lady of Grace Mission (Potawatomi), Wanette

1898-1909 (no longer Native)

Holy Rosary Mission (Chickasaw), Minco

1898-1910s (no longer Native)

1899-1906 (no longer Native)

Holy Name Church (Chickasaw), Chickasha

St. John Mission (Cherokee), Bartlesville

1900-1927 (no longer Native)

Sacred Heart Mission (Miami), Miamitown

1901-1949 (no longer Native) 

St. John the Evangelist Mission (Pawnee), Pawnee

1902-present (Oklahoma City 1902-1973)

St. William/ St. Catherine Mission (Choctaw), Durant

1905-1909 (no longer Native)

Immaculate Conception Mission (Chickasaw), Marlow

1905-1949 (no longer Native)

St. Joseph Mission (Pawnee), Cleveland

1907-1909 (no longer Native)

Sacred Heart Mission (Creek), Sapulpa

1908-present

Mother of Sorrows Mission (Apache), Apache

1909-1911 (no longer Native)

St. Joseph Mission (Tonkawa), Tonkawa

1909-1921 (closed)

St. Henry Mission (Choctaw), Bentley

1909-1927 (no longer Native)

St. Anne Mission (Cherokee), Welch

1909-1933 (closed)

St. William Mission (Choctaw), Boswell

1912-1934 (closed)

St. Mary Mission (Cherokee), Tahlequah

1913-present (Oklahoma City, 1913-1973)

Sacred Heart Church (Osage), Fairfax, Osage Reservation

1914-1928 (closed)

Immaculate Conception Mission (Osage), Foraker, Osage Reservation

1914-present

Sacred Heart Mission (Cheyenne, Arapaho), Hinton

1915-1930 (no longer Native) 

St. David Mission (Chickasaw), Tishomingo

1916-present (Oklahoma City, 1916-1973)

St. Edward Mission (various), Pittsburg

1917-1931 (closed)

Sacred Heart Mission (Cherokee), Claremore

1921-present (Oklahoma City, 1921-1973)

St. William/ Sacred Heart Church (Osage), Skiatook, Osage Reservation

1923-present (Oklahoma City, 1923-1973)

Immaculate Conception/ St. Patrick Church (Choctaw), Hugo

1925-present (Oklahoma City, 1925-1973)

St. Ann Mission (Osage), Shidler, Osage Reservation

ca. 1925-present (Oklahoma City, 1925-1973)

St. Joseph Mission (Cherokee), Webber's Falls

1928-1934 (closed)

Sacred Heart Mission (Choctaw), Caddo

1928-1979 (closed)

Immaculate Conception Mission (Apache, Caddo), Cyril

1930-present (Oklahoma City, 1930-1973)

St. Joseph Church (Osage), Hominy, Osage Reservation

1931-present

Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary/ St. Margaret Mary Mission (Caddo), Binger

1940-present (Oklahoma City, 1940-1973)

St. Cecilia/ Christ the King Church (Cherokee), Claremore

1942-present (Oklahoma City, 1942-1973)

St. Mary Mission (Osage), Barnsdell, Osage Reservation

1947-present

St. Richard/ Our Lady of Victory Mission (Kiowa), Carnegie

1950-present

St. Thomas Mission (Cheyenne, Arapaho), Seiling

1958-present (Oklahoma City, 1958-1973)

St. John the Evangelist Mission (Cherokee), Cookson

1960-present (Oklahoma City, 1960-1973)

St. Clement Church (Creek), Bixby

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1870s-ongoing, undated

Volume: At least 10 cubic feet 

Description: Within 8 series. When the Diocese of Tulsa was created in 1973, the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City sent to Tulsa the parish files of all active and inactive Native parishes and missions located within the Tulsa Diocese. However, all bishops' files, priests' files, and deeds generated before 1973, and all financial and statistical reports created before 1950, remained at Oklahoma City.

 

/1 Sacramental Records

Inclusive dates: 1875-1970

Volume: Ca. 14 reels of microfilm

Description: Arranged alphabetically by parish location.

A. Anadarko, St. Patrick Church, 1890-1948

B. Ardmore, St. Mary Church, 1897-ca. 1930s

C. Chandler, Our Lady of Sorrows Church, 1898-1909: includes records for the Sac and Fox Agency (Sauk and Fox)

D. Chickasha, Holy Name Church, 1898-ca. 1930s

E. El Reno, Sacred Heart Church, 1890-1913, ca. 1949-1970; includes the Fort Sill and Fort Reno stations, and students at the Concho Government Indian School

F. Guthrie, St. Mary Church, 1889-1895; includes stations on the Iowa, Otoe, Pawnee, and Ponca reservations

G. Konawa, Sacred Heart Church, 1880-1970; a.k.a. Sacred Heart, Sacred Heart Mission

H. Lawton, Blessed Sacrament Church, 1904-1909, ca. 1927-1970; includes the Lookeba station and students at the Fort Sill Government Indian School

I. Newkirk, St. Francis of Assisi Church, 1906-1970; includes the Washunga station and students at the Chilocco Government Indian School

J. Norman, St. Joseph Church, 1895-1897; includes the Ardmore station

K. Okeene, St. Anthony Church, 1969-1970; includes St. Thomas Mission, Seiling

L. Oklahoma City, St. Joseph Church, 1889-1895; includes various stations attended from St. Joseph's

M. Perry, St. Rose of Lima Church, 1902-1908; includes the Otoe Reservation

N. Ponca City, St. Mary Church, ca. 1894-1911; includes missions and stations attended from St. Mary's

O. Purcell, Our Lady of Victory Church, 1888-1848; includes students at St. Joseph School

P. Sacred Heart, Sacred Heart Mission, 1875-1898; a.k.a Konawa, Sacred Heart Church

Q. Shawnee, St. Benedict Church, 1895-1970

R. Sterling, Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church, 1908-1970; includes Mother of Sorrows Mission, Apache

S. Weatherford, St. Eugene Church, 1955-1970; includes Sacred Heart Mission, Hinton, Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary Mission, Binger, and St. Richard Mission, Carnegie

T. Woodward, St. Peter Church, 1948-1969; includes St. Thomas Mission, Seiling

 

/2 Parish Files

Inclusive dates: 1891-1969, undated 

Volume: At least .7 cubic foot

Description: Correspondence arranged alphabetically by location of the parish. Held by the Oklahoma City Diocesan Bishop’s Residence.

A. Anadarko, St. Patrick and Holy Family Churches, 1892-1969, undated, .15 cubic foot:

1. Correspondence, 1892, 1894, 1896, 1902, 1905, 1914, 1916, 1919, 1921-1930, 1932-1934, 1941, 1947-1969, .1 cubic foot; major correspondents include Rev. Aloysius Hitta, Rev. Gerard Nathe, Bishop Francis C. Kelley, Bishop Eugene J. McGuinness (1889-1957), and Bishop Victor J. Reed (1905-1971)

2. Photographs, clippings, and historical notes, undated, 2 folders

B. Ardmore, St. Mary Church, St. Agnes Academy, 1896-1932, undated, 3 folders:

1. Correspondence, 1896, 1898, 1903, 1908, 1912, 1914-1915, 1921, 1927-1932, 76 letters; major correspondents include Rev. James J. Walrapp, Rev. F.D. McCreedy, Bishop Theophile Meerschaert, and Bishop Francis Kelley

2. Photographs, clippings, and historical notes, undated, 2 folders

C. Chickasha, Holy Name of Jesus Church, St. Joseph's School, 1901-1937, undated, .1 cubic foot:

1. Correspondence, 1901-1904, 1906, 1908-1909, 1911-1914, 1917, 1920-1921, 1925-1926, 1929, 1933-1937, 91 letters; major correspondents include Rev. Urban de Hasque, Rev. Peter I. Wilwerding, Rev. J.G. Heiring, Bishop Theophile Meerschaert, and Bishop Francis Kelley

2. Photographs, clippings, and historical notes, undated, 2 folders

D. Chilocco Indian School, 1904-1905, 1936, 13 letters; major correspondents include Rev. R. Sevens, the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions, and the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs

E. Purcell, Our Lady of Victory Church, St. Elizabeth School, 1893-1948, undated, 2 folders:

1. Correspondence, 1893, 1896, 1904, 1907, 1913, 1924-1928, 1935, 1938, 1941, 1947-1948, 1 folder; major correspondents include Rev. James Van Gastel, other superiors at the parish, Bishop Theophile Meerschaert, and Bishop Francis Kelley

2. Photographs, clippings, and historical notes, undated, 1 folder

F. Sacred Heart, Sacred Heart Abbey, 1891-1893, 1895-1898, 1902, 1905-1906, 1910, 1914-1916, 1919-1920, 1923-1924, 47 letters; major correspondents include Rev. Thomas Duperon, Rev. Felix De Grasse, Rev. Leo Gariador, and Bishop Theophile Meerschaert

G. Sacred Heart, St. Mary Academy, 1894-1895, 2 Letters

H. Sacred Heart, Sacred Heart Church, 1909-1940, undated, 2 folders:

1. Correspondence, 1909-1910, 1914-1917, 1927-1929, 1935, 1940, major correspondents include Rev. Maurus Fuerstenberg, other superiors at the parish, Bishop Theophile Meerschaert, and Bishop Francis Kelley

2. Photographs, clippings, and historical notes, undated, 1 folder

I. Shawnee, St. Benedict Church, 1902-1969, undated, .15 cubic foot:

1. Correspondence, 1902-1969, .1 cubic foot: major correspondents include Rev. Boniface Beri, Rev. Benedict J. Ryan, Rev. Claude Sons, other superiors at the parish, Bishop Theophile Meerschaert, Bishop Francis Kelley, Bishop Eugene McGuinness, and Bishop Victor J. Reed

2. Photographs, clippings, and historical notes, undated, 2 folders

 

/3 Archbishops' and Chancellors' Files

Inclusive dates: 1889-ongoing, undated

Volume: At least 1.3 cubic feet

Description: Arranged chronologically by administration. Held by the Oklahoma City Diocesan Bishop’s Residence.

A. Bishop Theophile Meerschaert, 1889-1923, .5 cubic foot:

1. Diary, 1890-1923, 20 volumes; recorded on blank pages of Ordos; include discussions of missions and schools in the diocese serving Native Americans; entries appear at least weekly and sometimes daily; entries for years 1890-1900 more complete than for later years; diary published in diocesan newspaper, Catholic Home, beginning in 1923

2. "Benedictine Fathers," 1889-1891, 1898-1908, 1 folder: correspondence with Abbot Felix De Grasse and Abbot Bernard Murphy at Sacred Heart Abbey, re: Native missions and schools at Sacred Heart, Chickasha, Pawhuska, and Purcell

3. "Catholic Church Extension Society," 1910-1922, 1 folder: correspondence re: the financing of Indian missions and schools

4. "Commission for Indians and Negroes," 1892-1906, 1 folder: correspondence with the Commission for Catholic missions among the Colored People and the Indians, re: the annual fund

5. "Correspondence with Mother M. Virginia," 1896-1899, 1902, 17 letters: correspondence re: St. Agnes School, Antlers

B. Bishop Francis C. Kelley, 1909-1947, .4 cubic foot:

1. "Extension Society," 1909-1947, .35 cubic foot; correspondence, re: financing of Indian missions and schools

2. "Marquette League [for Catholic Indian Missions]," 1936-1945, 1 folder: correspondence re: financing of Native missions and schools

C. Bishop Eugene J. McGuinness, 1948-1950, .1 cubic foot: records include correspondence with the Extension Society, re: financing of Native missions and schools

D. Rev. Urban de Hasque, 1901-1911, 1928, 1940s-1950s, undated, .3 cubic foot: mostly collected or created by Rev. de Hasque for his research on the history of Native missions and schools in Oklahoma

1. Correspondence, 1940s-1950s, .1 cubic foot: primarily in relation to his historical research

2. Financial account book, 1901-1911, 1 volume: Holy Name of Jesus Church, Chickasha, 1901-1911; St. Joseph School, Chickasha, 1901-1905

3. Historical notes and clippings, undated, .1 cubic foot

4. Publications, 1928, undated, 2 volumes: St. Patrick's Indian Mission of Anadarko, Oklahoma (1891-1915): An Historical Sketch and The Early Catholic History of Oklahoma, published in the Southwest Courier

 

/4 Religious Communities of Men and Women

Inclusive dates: 1897-ongoing

Volume: At least .3 cubic foot

Description: Divided by communities of men and women and arranged alphabetically there under. Held by the Oklahoma City Diocesan Bishop’s Residence.

A. "Benedictine Priests [Benedictines]," 1925-1960s, .1 cubic foot: includes correspondence between the abbot and archbishop, re: financing and staffing of Sacred Heart Church, Sacred Heart, St. Patrick Church, Anadarko, and St. Benedict Church, Shawnee

B. "Carmelite Priests [Discalced Carmelites]," 1914-1953, 2 folders: includes correspondence between the provincial and archbishop, re: financing and staffing of St. Agnes Mission, Antlers and St. Edward Mission, Pittsburg

C. "Carmelite Sisters [Carmelites of St. Therese]," 1924-1960s, 1 folder: correspondence between the archbishop and mother superior, re: financing and staffing of St. Edward School, Pittsburg and Sacred Heart School, Fairfax

D. "Franciscan Sisters [Franciscan Sisters of Philadelphia], Glen Riddle, Pennsylvania," 1925-1926, 1947, 3 letters

E. "Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament for Indians and Colored People [Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament]," 1948-1954, 1 folder: correspondence between the bishop and mother superior, re: financing and staffing of Immaculate Conception School, Pawhuska

F. "Sisters of Divine Providence," 1922-1927, 1 folder: correspondence between the bishop and mother superior, re: financing and staffing of St. Mary School, Quapaw and Sacred Heart Institute, Vinita

G. "Sisters of Loretto," 1938-1942, 1 folder: correspondence between the bishop and mother superior, re: financing and staffing of St. Louis School, Pawhuska

H. "Sisters of Mercy," 1897-1947, 1 folder: correspondence between the bishop and mother superior, re: financing and staffing of St. Mary Academy, Sacred Heart and St. Agnes Academy, Ardmore

 

/5 Financial and Statistical Reports

Inclusive dates: 1906-ongoing

Volume: At least 1 cubic foot

Description: Annual reports since 1906 for each Native mission and school, including reports until ca. 1950 for those missions later administered by the Diocese of Tulsa. In 1984, these records were held at the residence of the Oklahoma City Archbishop.

 

/6 Deeds and Abstracts

Inclusive dates: 1870s-ongoing

Volume: At least 1 cubic foot

Description: Arranged alphabetically by parish location with a folder for each Native mission. Held at the Oklahoma City Diocesan Bishop’s Residence.

 

/7 General Files

Inclusive dates: 1894-ongoing

Volume: At least .2 cubic foot

Description: Arranged alphabetically by subject or name. Held at the Oklahoma City Diocesan Bishop’s Residence.

A. "Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions," 1894-1947, .1 cubic foot: correspondence between the bishop and director of the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions, re: primarily financial matters

B. "Commission for Indians and Negroes [Commission for Catholic Missions among the Colored People and the Indians]," 1933-1959, 2 folders: correspondence between the bishop and secretary of the Commission for the Catholic Missions Among the Colored People and the Indians, re: the annual fund

C. "Indian School Reports," 1901-1926, 1 folder: includes names of pupils at St. Mary's Academy, Sacred Heart, Oklahoma, 1901-1925

D. "School Statistics," 1914-1915, 1929-1930, 1938, 1941-1942, 1944, 1 folder

 

/8 Archdiocesan Newspapers

Inclusive dates: 1922-ongoing

Volume: Few articles throughout

Description: Includes The Catholic Home, 1922-1923, Oklahoma Southwest Courier, 1924-1960, Oklahoma Courier, 1960-1969, and Sooner Catholic, 1969-present, re: Native Americans and Catholic evangelization in the Archdiocese and, its sister parish (Maya), Santiago Atitlan, Guatemala, 1964-2001. The Sooner Catholic is archived online, May 2004-ongoing.

 

/9 American Indian Catholic Outreach/ St. Kateri Tekakwitha Spiritual Center of Oklahoma

Inclusive dates: 2017-ongoing

Volume: Few folders possible

Description: Not yet archived in 2018; some video materials online (FaceBook).

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.

New1984/rev2003-2018

Archival materials from the Raynor Memorial Libraries


Marquette Archives