GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 2: Midwest United States
Oklahoma: OK-33

Our Lady of Victory Church
316 West Jefferson Street
P.O. Box 1280
Purcell, Oklahoma 73080

Phone: 405-527-3077
Email: ourladyofvictory@cebridge.net
https://www.ourladyofvictorypurcell.org/

 

Hours: See website

Access: Some restrictions apply

Copying facilities: Yes

 

History: Our Lady of Victory Church has been a predominantly non-Native American parish in the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City.

1887-1905

Benedictines (now St. Gregory's Abbey, Shawnee, Oklahoma) administered Our Lady of Victory/ St. Elizabeth’s  

1887-1890 (closed) 

Benedictines established and staffed St. Scholastica Day School (Choctaw, Chickasaw) at St. Elizabeth’s 

1888-1948 (closed)

Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia (Aston, Pennsylvania) established and staffed St. Elizabeth Boarding School (Choctaw, Chickasaw)

1901-1948 (closed) 

Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia established and staffed St. Elizabeth Day School (Choctaw, Chickasaw)

1905-present

Oklahoma City arch/diocesan priests administered Our Lady of Victory

Benedictines and Oklahoma City diocesan priests from Our Lady of Victory /St. Elizabeth’s attended the following stations and missions among Native Americans:

1888-1889 (transferred to St. Joseph's, Oklahoma City)

Fort Reno station (Cheyenne)

 

1888-1889 (closed)

Darlington station (Cheyenne)

1888-1889 (closed)

Paul's Valley station (Choctaw, Chickasaw)

1888-1889 (closed)

Winnewood station (Choctaw, Chickasaw)

1888-1889 (closed)

Cantonement station (Arapaho)

1888-1890 (transferred to Sacred Heart, El Reno)

Fort Sill station (Apache, Comanche)

 

1888-1891 (became a parish)

Anadarko station (Kiowa, Comanche, Apache, Caddo, Wichita, Delaware)

1888-1892 (transferred to St. Patrick's, Anadarko)

Kiowa and Comanche Reservation station (Kiowa, Comanche)

 

1888-1906 (closed)

Erin Springs station (Choctaw, Chickasaw)

1888-1906 (closed)

Washita station (Choctaw, Chickasaw)

1888-1906 (closed)

White Bead Hills station (Choctaw, Chickasaw)

1889-ca. 1940 (no longer Native)

St. John the Baptist Mission (Choctaw, Chickasaw), Lexington

1890-1895 (transferred to St. Patrick’s, Norman)

Ardmore station (Chickasaw)

 

1892-1906 (closed)

Velma station (Chickasaw)

1912-1939 (closed)

Blanchard station (Choctaw, Chickasaw)

1915-1939 (closed)

Paul's Valley station (Choctaw, Chickasaw)

1925-1939 (closed)

Winnewood station (Choctaw, Chickasaw)

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1888-1948

Volume: 3 volumes

Description: Sacramental records for the Native American students at St. Elizabeth School and the Native American parishioners of Our Lady of Victory Church and the Native missions and stations attended from it; baptisms, 1888-1905, 1920-1948, marriages, 1894-1905, 1909-1948, deaths, 1924-1948, first communions, 1937-1948, and confirmations, 1925-1948.

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.

New1984/rev2003-2018

Archival materials from the Raynor Memorial Libraries


Marquette Archives