GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 3: Western United States
Catholic Church. Diocese of Baker. Archives
641 Southwest Umatilla Avenue
Redmond, OR 97756
History: The Diocese of Baker City was erected from territory in the Archdiocese of Portland, 1903, and renamed the Diocese of Baker, 1952. The Baker Diocese reported fewer than 1,000 baptized Native American Catholics, 1999. Baker and its predecessors have administered the following Indian missions, parishes, and schools in Oregon:
1865-present (Baker, 1903-present)
St. Andrew Mission (Cayuse, Umatilla, Walla Walla, Nez Perce), Pendleton, Umatilla Reservation
1888-unknown (Baker, 1903-unknown)
St. Ann School (Cayuse, Nez Perce, Umatilla Walla Walla), Pendleton, Umatilla Reservation
1899-present (Baker, 1903-present)
Holy Family Mission (Paiute), Burns, Burns Reservation
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church (Klamath, Modoc), Chiloquin
Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:
Inclusive dates: 1847-ongoing
Volume: Ca. 2.5 cubic feet
Description: 6 series include Native Catholic records:
/1 Sacramental Records
Inclusive dates: 1934-ongoing
Volume: Several reels of microfilm
Description: Arranged alphabetically by location of parishes and there under by name; includes baptisms, first communions, confirmations, marriages, and burials for predominantly Native and non-Native American parishes with some Native parishioners and/or attended Native missions, stations, and schools; parishes hold all records prior to 1934.
A. Baker, St. Francis de Sales Cathedral
B. Bend, St. Francis Assisi Church
C. Burns, Holy Family Mission
D. Chiloquin, Our Lady of Mount Carmel Mission
E. Hood River, Immaculate Conception Church, includes Warm Springs Reservation station, 1910-1912
F. Klamath, Sacred Heart Mission
G. Madras, St. Patrick Church
H. Pendleton, St. Andrew Mission
I. Redmond, St. Thomas Church
/2 Parish Files
Inclusive dates: 1847-ongoing
Volume: Ca. 2 cubic feet
Description: Arranged alphabetically by location of parishes and there under by name; includes correspondence between diocese and parishes, clippings, and cemetery records for parishes and attended missions and stations:
A. Burns, Holy Family Mission, 1915-ongoing, ca. 1 cubic foot
B. La Grande, Early Missions, 1908, 1 folder
C. Madras, St. Patrick Church, 1955-ongoing, few items; re: Warm Springs Reservation
D. Pendleton, St. Andrew Mission, 1907-ongoing, ca. 1 cubic foot
E. Umatilla Reservation, St. Joseph Mission, 1847-1921, 1 folder
/3 Personnel Files
Inclusive dates: 1910-ongoing
Volume: Few folders
Description: Includes diocesan and religious priests, 1 folder/person arranged alphabetically
/4 Religious Community Files
Inclusive dates: ca. 1910-ongoing
Volume: Ca. .2 cubic foot
Description: Correspondence between the diocese and the Jesuits; re: Native Americans evangelization and St. Andrew Mission, Pendleton.
/5 Files of Other Organizations
Inclusive dates: 1908-ongoing
Volume: Several folders
Description: Correspondence between the diocese and Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions, Commission for the Catholic Missions Among the Colored People and the Indians, and Catholic Historical Society (Portland, Oregon).
/6 Archdiocesan Newspaper
Inclusive dates: 1870-ongoing
Volume: Few articles
Description: The Catholic Sentinel has included occasional articles on Native Americans and Catholic evangelization throughout Oregon. It was established in 1870 and acquired by the Archdiocese of Portland, ca. 1920, when it became the official newspaper for both dioceses.
For student attendance records at Catholic schools that served Native Americans – see also -- Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, Marquette University Special Collections and Archives, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Unless otherwise noted, the repository on this page holds (or held) the records described here and they are not held at the Marquette University Archives.