GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 3: Western United States
Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon
4440 Southwest 148 Avenue
Beaverton, OR 97078
History: The Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon were founded as the Sisters of the Most Precious Blood, 1886. They changed to their current name, 1905, and self-identify with the post-nominal initials, “S.S.M.O.” The sisters staffed St. Michael School (Grand Ronde), Grand Ronde, Grand Ronde Reservation, Oregon, 1946-1968.
Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:
Inclusive dates: 1886-2005
Volume: Ca..1 cubic foot
Description: 2 series include Native Catholic records:
Inclusive dates: 1886-1968
Volume: Few pages
Description: Includes teaching experiences at St. Michael School, Grand Ronde.
/2 Personnel Files
Inclusive dates: 1886-ongoing
Volume: Ca. 40 files
Description: Mostly 1 folder/person, including the following notable sisters:
A. Sister Kateri (Lavonne Petite, Grand Ronde, 1937-1998); entered 1952 and served elsewhere as a teacher
B. Sister Margaret Mary (Agnes Coussens, 1927-2005); entered 1946 and taught at St. Michael School, Grand Ronde, for these school years: 1948-1949, 1950-1951, 1961-1964
Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.