GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 2: Midwest United States
South Dakota: SD-18

St. Paul Church
102 Church Drive
Marty, SD 57380
P.O. Box 266
Marty, SD 57361

Phone: 605-384-3234
Email: See website (Contact Us)

 

History: St Paul Church, Marty, Yankton Reservation, South Dakota, has been a predominantly Native American (Yankton) parish in the Diocese of Sioux Falls (Archives: Sioux Falls, South Dakota).

1839, 1866

Rev. Pierre-Jean de Smet, S.J. [Jesuits], visited the Yankton Dakota Indians in South Dakota

1840

Rev. Christian Hoecken, S.J., visited the Yankton Dakota Indians in South Dakota

1877

Rev. Martin Marty, O.S.B. [Benedictines], visited the Yankton Dakota Indians in South Dakota

1880-1881 (closed)

Rev. John F. Malo and the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Archives: Aberdeen, South Dakota) established and administered St. Ann Chapel and School (Yankton Dakota), Wheeler

1884-1887 (closed)

Yankton Indian Industrial School (Yankton Dakota), Yankton, Yankton Reservation

1884-1888

Sioux Falls diocesan priests at St. Vincent, Springfield, visited the Yankton Reservation

1911-1913

While based at St. Francis Mission, St. Francis, Rev. Henry I. Westropp, S.J., and catechist Nicholas Black Elk (Oglala) visited the Yankton Reservation

1914-1916

Rev. Westropp established St. Paul Mission (Yankton Dakota), Ravinia, Yankton Reservation, and administered it with catechist Nicholas Black Elk

1917-1921

From Immaculate Conception, Stephan, Rev. Sylvester Eisenman, O.S.B., and the Benedictines (St. Meinrad Archabbey) (Archives: St. Meinrad, Indiana) attended to the Yankton Reservation missions: St. Paul Mission, St. John Mission (Yankton Dakota), Greenwood, and St. Francis Solano Mission (Yankton Dakota), White Swan

1920

An Indian day school opened at Ravinia

1921-1980s (transferred to Sioux Falls Diocese)

Benedictines (St. Meinrad Archabbey and Blue Cloud Abbey) (Archives: St. Meinrad, Indiana) administered St. Paul Church

1924-1975 (transferred to a community corporation)

St. Paul’s founded a parish school staffed by teachers from the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament for Indians and Colored People (Archives: Wynnewood, Pennsylvania)

1935

Rev. Sylvester Eisenman, O.S.B., founded the Oblate Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament (Yankton Dakota) at St. Paul’s

1935-1980s

Oblate Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament (Marty, South Dakota) also taught at St. Paul School

1980s-1997 (transferred to Regular Franciscans, Most Sacred Heart of Jesus Province)

Sioux Falls diocesan priests administered St. Paul’s

1985-1997

Congregation of Priests of the Sacred Heart (United States Province) (Archives: Franklin, Wisconsin) at St. Mark’s, Lake Andes, attended to St. Paul’s in consort with an Oblate Sister of the Blessed Sacrament and a Permanent Deacon

1997-present

Regular Franciscans (Most Sacred Heart of Jesus Province) (Archives” Loretto, Pennsylvania) at St. Mark’s, Lake Andes, attended to St. Paul’s in concert with an Oblate Sister of the Blessed Sacrament and a Permanent Deacon

Jesuits and Benedictines at St. Paul's attended to the following Native American missions and schools in South Dakota and Nebraska: 

1915-1916 (transferred to Immaculate Conception, Stephan)

St. John Mission (Yankton Dakota), Greenwood, Yankton Reservation, South Dakota

1915-1916 (transferred to Holy Rosary, Pine Ridge)

Sacred Heart Mission (Santee Dakota, Ponca), Santee, Santee Reservation, Nebraska

Sacred Heart Mission (Santee, Ponca), Santee, Santee Reservation, Nebraska

St. Francis Solano Mission (Yankton Dakota), Lake Andes/ White Swan, Yankton Reservation, South Dakota

1921-1980s (closed)

St. John the Evangelist Mission (Yankton Dakota), Greenwood, Yankton Reservation, South Dakota

1931-1957 (closed)

Sacred Heart Mission (Santee, Ponca), Santee, Santee Reservation, Nebraska

1934-1948 (closed)

St. John Day School (Yankton Dakota), Greenwood, Yankton Reservation, South Dakota

1938-1958 (closed)

St. Gregory Mission (Brulé), Greenwood/ Missouri Bottom, Yankton Reservation, South Dakota

1939-1946 (closed)

St. Placid Home for Homeless Indian Babies (Yankton Dakota), Marty, Yankton Reservation, South Dakota

1940-1965 (closed)

St. Catherine of Sienna Mission (Yankton Dakota), Rising Hail Colony, Yankton Reservation, South Dakota

1941-1957 (closed)

Sacred Heart Mission (Santee Dakota, Ponca), Niobrara, Santee Reservation, Nebraska

1948-1957 (transferred to Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Lynch, Nebraska)

St. William Mission (Santee Dakota, Ponca), Niobrara, Santee Reservation Nebraska

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1839-ongoing

Volume: At least 1 cubic foot

Description: The records at St. Paul Mission were not organized according to a classification scheme when reviewed by a Marquette University archivist, 1984. Consequently, the description is by record type. 

 

/1 Sacramental records

Inclusive dates: 1839-ongoing

Volume: At least 6 volumes

Description:

A. Baptisms, 1839-ongoing; baptisms from 1839 to ca. 1870s were transcribed by Rev. Henry Westropp, S.J., ca. 1910s

B. Marriages, 1922-ongoing

C. Deaths, 1918-ongoing

D. First communions, 1944-ongoing

 

/2 Census record

Inclusive dates: 1940s

Volume: 1 folder:

Description: Lists members of each household in the parish.

 

/3 Financial records

Inclusive dates: 1920s-ongoing

Volume: At least 1 folder

Description: Primarily deeds, abstracts, and other documentation dealing with land transactions.

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.

New1984/rev2003-2020