GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 2: Midwest United States
South Dakota: SD-23

Red Cloud Indian School and Holy Rosary Church
100 Mission Drive
Pine Ridge, SD 57770

Phone: 605-867-5491
Email (sacramental records): See website (Pastoral Ministry/ Contact Us)
http://www.redcloudschool.org/

 

History of Red Cloud Indian School (Oglala) and Holy Rosary Church/ Mission, Pine Ridge, Pine Ridge Reservation: The Red Cloud School system is comprised of four units – Red Cloud Elementary School, Red Cloud Middle School, Red Cloud High School, and Our Lady of Lourdes Elementary School – which also supports the Pine Ridge Reservation parishes and missions.

1879-1884

Benedictines from Standing Rock Agency, North Dakota (St. Meinrad Abbey, St. Meinrad, Indiana) attempted visits to Pine Ridge Agency (Oglala Lakota)

1884 (March 9)

Rev. J.A. Bushman baptized Chief Red Cloud who took “Peter” as his baptismal forename

1884-1888

Rev. Francis M. Craft (Mohawk) from Rosebud Agency attempted visits to Pine Ridge Agency

1888-present

Jesuits (German Province, 1898-1907; Turin Province, 1907-1909; California Province, 1909-1912; Missouri Province, 1912-1954; Wisconsin Province, 1954-2016; Midwest Province, 2016-present) established and have administered Red Cloud Indian School/ Holy Rosary Mission

1888-1972

Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity (Holy Name Province, Stella Niagara, New York, 1888-1938; Sacred Heart Province, Denver, Colorado, 1938-1972) staffed the Holy Rosary Mission school

1931-present

Jesuits established Our Lady of Lourdes School, Porcupine, which was later incorporated into the Red Cloud School system

1937-1942

Holy Rosary Mission added a high school

1964-1980

The school transitioned from a boarding to a day school

1969

Holy Rosary Mission school was renamed Red Cloud Indian School

1972-present

Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity continued to minister to local parish needs on the Pine Ridge Reservation

1970s-present

Jesuit Lay Volunteers have staffed the school

1970s-present

Jesuits established, and with lay assistance, have administered the Heritage Center and the Red Cloud Art Show

Jesuits from Red Cloud/ Holy Rosary have attended the following Native missions and parishes in South Dakota and Nebraska (in South Dakota unless noted otherwise):  

1898-1928 (became a parish)

Sacred Heart Mission (Oglala Lakota), Pine Ridge, Pine Ridge Reservation

1901-1919 (transferred to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Martin)

St. Joseph Mission (Oglala Lakota), Bear Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation

 

1901-ca. 1973 (closed)

St. Peter Mission (Oglala Lakota), Wounded Knee Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation

1903-1913 (closed)

St. Alphonsus Chapel (Oglala Lakota), Payabiya, Pine Ridge Reservation

1905-1931 (transferred to Our Lady of Lourdes, Porcupine)

St. Paul Mission (Oglala Lakota), Porcupine Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation

1906-ca. 1970s (transferred to Our Lady of Sorrows, Kyle)

St. Stephan Mission (Oglala Lakota), Medicine Root Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation

1908-unknown (closed)

Our Lady of Good Counsel Mission (Oglala Lakota), No Water, Pine Ridge Reservation  

1909-1919 (transferred to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Martin)

Our Lady of Luck Mission (Oglala Lakota), Lacreek, Bennett County

1910-ca. 1920 (closed)

St. Lucy Mission (Oglala Lakota), Allen, Pine Ridge Reservation

1910-1959 (closed)

St. Henry Mission (Oglala), Potato Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation

1912-1916 (closed)

St. Ignatius Mission (Oglala Lakota), Lips Camp, Pine Ridge Reservation

1912-ca. 1920 (closed)

Forty Martyrs Mission (Oglala Lakota), Plenty Bears, Pine Ridge Reservation

1913-1931 (transferred to Our Lady of Lourdes, Porcupine)

Sacred Heart Mission (Oglala Lakota), Wounded Knee/ Brennan, Pine Ridge Reservation

1913-ca. 1970s (became a parish)

St. Agnes Mission (Oglala Lakota), Manderson, Pine Ridge Reservation

1916-1922 (became a parish)

Sacred Heart Mission (Santee Dakota), Santee, Santee Reservation, Nebraska

1917-1919 (became a parish)

Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Mission (Oglala Lakota), Martin, Bennett County

1917-1919 (transferred to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Martin)

Sacred Heart Mission (Oglala Lakota), Vetal, Bennett County

1917-1925 (closed)

St. Margaret Mission (Oglala Lakota), Grass Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation

1917-1925 (closed)

St. Magdalene Mission (Oglala Lakota), Lower Porcupine, Pine Ridge Reservation

1917-1949 (closed)

St. Bernard Mission (Oglala Lakota), Cheyenne River, Pine Ridge Reservation    

1917-1959 (closed)

St. Anne/ St. Anthony Mission (Oglala Lakota), Wolf Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation

1917-ca. 1970s (became a parish)

Our Lady of Sorrows/ Ss. Mary and Anna Mission (Oglala Lakota), Kyle, Pine Ridge Reservation

1917-ca. 1970s (became a parish)

Our Lady of the Sioux/ St. Elizabeth Mission (Oglala Lakota), Oglala, Pine Ridge Reservation

1917-unknown (closed)

St. Anthony/ Holy Guardian Angels Mission (Oglala Lakota), Slim Butte, Pine Ridge Reservation

1920-1925 (closed)

St. Elizabeth Mission (Oglala Lakota), Rock Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation

1920-1925 (closed)

Our Lady of Sorrows Mission (Oglala Lakota), Spring Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation

1920-1925 (closed)

Immaculate Conception Mission (Oglala Lakota), Wanamaker, Pine Ridge Reservation  

1926-1931 (became a parish)

Christ the King Church/ Our Lady of Lourdes Mission and Our Lady of Lourdes School (Oglala Lakota), Porcupine, Pine Ridge Reservation

1926-1931 (transferred to Our Lady of Lourdes, Porcupine)

St. Mary Magdalene Mission (Oglala Lakota), Rockyford, Pine Ridge Reservation

1926-1959 (closed)

St. Madeline Sophie Mission (Oglala Lakota), Three Mile Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation

1926-1970s (became a parish)

St. Ignatius Loyola Mission (Oglala Lakota), Wanblee, Pine Ridge Reservation  

1926-1943 (closed)

St. Joseph Mission (Oglala Lakota), Cuny Table, Pine Ridge Reservation    

1926-1943 (closed)

St. Cecelia Mission (Oglala Lakota), Red Water, Pine Ridge Reservation

1926-1959 (closed)

St. Joseph Mission (Oglala Lakota), Hisle/ Bear Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation

1926-1969 (transferred to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Martin)

St. Charles Borromeo Mission (Oglala Lakota), Batesland, Pine Ridge Reservation

1931-1943 (closed: World War II Bombing Range)

St. Barbara Mission (Oglala Lakota), White River/ Medicine Root Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation

1931-1950 (closed)

St. Anthony/ St. Lucy Mission (Oglala Lakota), Corn Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation

1931-ca. 1970s (transferred to St. Ignatius, Wanblee)

St. John of the Cross Mission (Oglala Lakota), Allen/ Plenty Bears, Bennett County

1933-ca. 1956 (closed)

St. Ann Mission (unknown), Colored Hills

1936-1953 (closed)

St. Aloysius Mission (Santee Dakota), Holy Rosary Mission Ranch, Nebraska

1936-1959 (closed)

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Mission (Oglala Lakota), Pine Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation

ca. 1942-1961 (closed)

St. Mary Magdalene Mission (Oglala Lakota), Rockyford, Pine Ridge Reservation

ca. 1942-unknown (closed)

Sacred Heart Mission (Oglala Lakota), Wounded Knee, Pine Ridge Reservation  

ca. 1953-ca. 1975 (transferred to Our Lady of Lourdes, Porcupine)

St. Joseph Mission (Oglala Lakota), Cuny Table, Pine Ridge Reservation  

ca. 1955- 1970s (transferred to St. Ignatius, Wanblee)

Holy Rosary Mission (Oglala Lakota), Interior, Jackson County

1970-ca. 1977 (closed)

St. Bernard Mission (Oglala Lakota), Red Shirt, Pine Ridge Reservation                      

History of Our Lady of Sorrows Church, Kyle, Pine Ridge Reservation:

1917-1970s

Jesuits from Holy Rosary, Pine Ridge, established and attended Our Lady of Sorrows/ Ss. Mary and Anna Mission (Oglala Lakota), Kyle, Pine Ridge Reservation

1970s-present

Became a parish; Jesuits have administered Our Lady of Sorrows Church

Jesuits from Our Lady of Sorrows have attended St. Stephen Mission (Oglala Lakota), Lower Medicine Root/ Medicine Root Creek, Pine Ridge Reservation, ca. 1970s-present.

History of St. Agnes Church, Manderson, Pine Ridge Reservation:

1913-1970s

Jesuits from Holy Rosary, Pine Ridge, established and attended St. Agnes Mission (Oglala Lakota), Manderson

1907-1930s

Nicholas Black Elk (Oglala) served the parish as a catechist

1931-1934 (closed)

Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis (Oldenburg, Indiana) staffed a school at St. Agnes

1970s-present

Became a parish; Jesuits have administered St. Agnes Church

History of Our Lady of the Sioux Church, Oglala, Pine Ridge Reservation:

1907-1930s

Nicholas Black Elk (Oglala Lakota) served as a catechist at Our Lady of the Sioux/ St. Elizabeth Mission (Oglala), Oglala

1917-1970s

Jesuits from Holy Rosary, Pine Ridge, attended Our Lady of the Sioux/ St. Elizabeth Mission

1970s-1986

Became a parish; Jesuits administered Our Lady of the Sioux Church

1986-1991

A Marist Brother (Poughkeepsie Province, Watertown, Maine) administered Our Lady of the Sioux

1991-1995

Jesuits administered the parish and a School Sister of Notre Dame (Milwaukee Province, Milwaukee, Wisconsin) served as pastoral coordinator

1995-1997

Jesuits administered the parish and a Sister of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity (Denver, Colorado) served as pastoral coordinator

1997-present

Jesuits administered the parish and a Sister of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Aberdeen, South Dakota) served as pastoral coordinator

1999

A tornado destroyed the church, which was rebuilt 2 years later

History of Sacred Heart Church, Pine Ridge, Pine Ridge Reservation:

1898-1928

Jesuits from Holy Rosary, Pine Ridge, established and attended Sacred Heart Mission (Oglala Lakota)

1928-1980

Became a parish; Jesuits administered Sacred Heart Church

1980-1984

Rev. Charles Leute (Sac & Fox), O.P., administered the parish

1984-1998

Jesuits administered the parish

1998-present

Jesuits from Red Cloud Indian School, Pine Ridge, have attended Sacred Heart

Jesuits from Sacred Heart, Pine Ridge, have attended to students at the Oglala Government Indian School (Oglala Lakota), Pine Ridge, 1928-present.

History of Christ the King Church, Porcupine, and Our Lady of Lourdes School, Porcupine, Pine Ridge Reservation:

1926-1931

Jesuits from Holy Rosary, Pine Ridge, established and attended Our Lady of Lourdes Mission (Oglala Lakota), Porcupine

1931-present

Became a parish; Jesuits have administered Christ the King Church and Our Lady of Lourdes School

1931-1937

Sisters of the Humility of Mary (Villa Maria, Pennsylvania) staffed the school

1937-ca. 1970s

Notre Dame Sisters (Omaha, Nebraska) staffed the school

ca. 1970s-present

Mostly lay teachers have staffed the school                                                                   

Jesuits from Christ the King have attended the following Oglala Lakota Indian missions on the Pine Ridge Reservation:

1931-ca. 1942 (transferred to Holy Rosary, Pine Ridge)

St. Mary Magdalene Mission, Rockyford

1931-ca. 1942 (transferred to Holy Rosary, Pine Ridge)

Sacred Heart Mission, Wounded Knee

1931-unknown (closed)

St. Paul Mission, Porcupine Creek

1971-unknown (closed)

St. Mary Magdalene Mission, Rockyford

ca. 1975-unknown (closed)

St. Joseph Mission, Cuny Table

History of St. Ignatius Loyola Church, Wanblee, Pine Ridge Reservation:

1926-ca. 1970s

Jesuits from Holy Rosary, Pine Ridge, established and attended St. Ignatius Loyola Mission (Oglala Lakota), Wanblee, Pine Ridge Reservation

1970s-present

Became a parish; Jesuits have administered St. Ignatius Loyola Church

Jesuits from St. Ignatius, Wanblee, attended the following Oglala Lakota Indian missions:

ca. 1970s-unknown (closed)

St. John of the Cross Mission, Allen, Bennet County

ca. 1970s-unknown (closed)

Holy Rosary Mission, Interior, Jackson County

For more local history details, see also: https://www.marquette.edu/library/archives/Mss/HRM/HRM-history.php.

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1884-ongoing

Volume: At least 3 cubic feet

Description: Sacramental records, 1884-present, 27 volumes: for the Oglala Lakota Indian parishes, missions, and stations attended by Red Cloud Indian School; records for 1884-1902 are copies from Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which serves as the archival repository for Red Cloud Indian School.

 

 

New1984/rev2003-2019

Archival materials from the Raynor Memorial Libraries


Marquette Archives