GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 2: Midwest United States
South Dakota: SD-28

St. Francis Mission, St. Charles Church, and Buechel Memorial Lakota Museum
350 South Oak Street
P.O. Box 149
St. Francis, SD 57572

Phone: 800-808-8730 and 605-747-2361 

History:

1846-1851

Rev. Pierre-Jean de Smet, S.J. [Jesuits], visited Chief Spotted Tail and the Brulé Lakota Indians

1846-1851

Benedictines from the Standing Rock Agency, North Dakota, visited the Rosebud Agency (Brulé Lakota)

1883

Rev. Francis M. Craft served the Rosebud Agency station

1886-present

Jesuits (German, Turin, California, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Midwest Provinces) established and have administered St. Francis Mission (Brulé Lakota)

1886-1972 (transferred to Sicangu Oyate Ho)

Jesuits established and administered St. Francis School (Brulé Lakota)

1886-1972

Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity (now Sacred Heart Province, Denver, Colorado) taught at the school

1950s-present

Rev. Eugene Buechel, S.J., established, and lay/ religious staff have administered, the Buechel Lakota Museum at St. Francis Mission

1972-present

Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity have continued to evangelize the Rosebud Reservation parishes

1977-present

Sisters of St. Francis of the Holy Family (Dubuque, Iowa) have evangelized the Rosebud Reservation parishes, e.g. St. Agnes Church, Parmelee, St. Peter Mission, Okreek

Unknown-present

Jesuits established, and lay staff have administered, Sapa Un Academy at St. Francis Mission

Unknown-2000s (transferred to Rosebud Sioux Tribe)

Jesuits established, and lay staff administered, KINI Radio at St. Francis Mission

Unknown-present

Jesuits established, and lay staff have administered, Sapa Un Academy [middle school] at St. Francis Mission

Unknown-present

Jesuits established, and lay staff have administered, the St. Francis Dental Clinic at St. Francis Mission

Jesuits from St. Francis Mission attended the following parishes, missions, and stations among Native Americans in South Dakota:

1884-1888 (transferred to Holy Rosary Mission, Pine Ridge)

Pine Ridge Reservation (Oglala Lakota) station

1899-1960s (transferred to St. Peter's, Wood)

St. Peter Mission (Brulé Lakota), Okreek/ Oak Creek Rosebud Reservation

1899-1960s (transferred to Sacred Heart, White River)

St. Ignatius Mission (Brulé Lakota), White River, Rosebud Reservation

1905-1961 (closed)

St. Joseph Mission (Brulé Lakota), Red Leaf/ Black Pipe, Rosebud Reservation

1905-1970s (became a parish)

St. Bridget Mission (Brulé Lakota), Rosebud, Rosebud Reservation

1910-1960s (became a parish)

St. Peter/ Our Lady of Good Counsel Mission (Brulé Lakota), Wood/ White Thunder, Rosebud Reservation

1911-1913 (became a parish)

Yankton Reservation (Yankton Dakota) station

1911-1925 (closed)

St. Rita Mission (Brulé Lakota), Corn Creek, Rosebud Reservation

1911-1950 (closed)

Holy Rosary Mission (Brulé Lakota), Dog Ear, Rosebud Reservation

1911-1964 (closed)

St. Catherine Mission (Brulé Lakota), Bad Nation, Rosebud Reservation

1911-1975 (closed)

Sacred Heart Mission (Brulé Lakota), Ring Thunder, Rosebud Reservation

1911-1970s (transferred to St. Agnes, Parmelee)

Sacred Heart Mission (Brulé Lakota), Upper Cutmeat, Rosebud Reservation

1912- 1970s (transferred to St. Agnes, Parmelee)

Ss. Patrick and Bridget/ Our Lady of Good Counsel Mission (Brulé Lakota), He Dog, Rosebud Reservation

1912-unknown (closed)

St. Mary/ St. Francis of Assisi Mission (Brulé Lakota), Ironwood, Rosebud Reservation

1912-unknown (closed)

St. Patrick/ St. Andrew Mission (Brulé Lakota), Spring Creek, Rosebud Reservation

1913-1952 (closed)

Holy Family Mission (Brulé Lakota), Lower Cutmeat, Rosebud Reservation

1915-1946 (transferred to St. Thomas, Mission)

Guardian Angel Chapel (Brulé Lakota), Rosebud Boarding School, Rosebud Reservation

1923-1946 (closed)

St. Benedict Mission (Brulé Lakota Lakota), Soldier Creek, Rosebud Reservation, South Dakota

1926-1927 (closed)

Our Lady of Victory Mission (Brulé Lakota), Bull Creek, Tripp County

1926-1934 (transferred to St. Thomas, Mission)

St. Theresa Mission (Brulé Lakota), Hidden Timber, Rosebud Reservation

1926-1949 (closed)

Sacred Heart Mission (Brulé Lakota), Lakeview, Rosebud Reservation

1926-unknown (closed)

St. Rose Mission (Brulé Lakota), Soldier Creek, Rosebud Reservation

1927-1961 (closed)

Sacred Heart Mission (Brulé Lakota), White Horse Camp

1927-1975 (became a parish)

St. Agnes Mission (Brulé Lakota), Parmelee, Rosebud Reservation

1927-unknown (closed)

Holy Family Mission (Brulé Lakota), Horse Creek, Rosebud Reservation

1927-unknown (closed)

Immaculate Conception Mission (Brulé Lakota), Two Strike, Rosebud Reservation

1928-1949 (closed)

St. Mary Mission (Brulé Lakota), Little White River, Rosebud Reservation

1929-1949 (closed)

St. Mary Mission (Brulé Lakota), Hollow Horn Bear, Rosebud Reservation

1929-1951 (closed)

Holy Family/ St. Sophie Mission (Brulé Lakota), Cedar Butte, Rosebud Reservation

1930-1934 (transferred to St. Thomas, Mission)

St. Michael Mission (Brulé Lakota), Carrollton, Rosebud Reservation

1930-1945 (closed)

St. Francis Xavier Mission (Brulé Lakota), Bull Creek, Tripp County

1930-1956 (closed)

St. John the Apostle Mission (Brulé Lakota), Mosher, Mellette County

1930-1955 (became a parish)

Sacred Heart Mission (Brulé Lakota), Norris, Mellette County

1931-1951 (closed)

St. James the Apostle Mission (Brulé Lakota), Horse Shoe Butte, Rosebud Reservation

1931-ca. 1970 (closed)

Sacred Heart Mission (Brulé Lakota), Bull Creek, Tripp County

1963-1970 (closed)

Sacred Hearts of Mary and Jesus Mission (Brulé Lakota), White Horse, Rosebud Reservation

1980s-unknown (closed)

Antelope station (Brulé Lakota), Rosebud Reservation

1980s-unknown (closed)

Sacred Heart Church (Brulé Lakota), Norris, Mellette County

1980s- unknown (closed)

Sacred Heart Mission (Brulé Lakota), Upper Cutmeat, Rosebud Reservation

1980s-present

St. Agnes Church (Brulé Lakota), Parmelee, Rosebud Reservation

1982-unknown (closed)

St. Bridget Church (Brulé Lakota), Rosebud, Rosebud Reservation

1980s-unknown (closed)

St. Peter Church (Brulé Lakota), Wood, Rosebud Reservation

1980s-unknown (closed)

Sacred Heart Church (Brulé Lakota), White River, Rosebud Reservation

1982-present

St. Thomas the Apostle Church (Brulé Lakota), Mission, Rosebud Reservation

1980s-unknown (closed)

Ss. Patrick and Bridget Mission (Brulé Lakota), He Dog, Rosebud Reservation

1980s-unknown (closed)

St. Peter Mission (Brulé Lakota), Okreek, Rosebud Reservation

1980s-present

Sacred Heart Church (Brulé Lakota), White River, Rosebud Reservation  

 History of St. Agnes Church, Parmelee:

1927-ca. 1970s

Jesuits from St. Francis Mission, St. Francis, established and attended St. Agnes Mission (Brulé Lakota), Parmelee, Rosebud Reservation

1975-ca. 1982

Became a parish; Jesuits attended St. Agnes Church from St. Thomas, Mission

Ca. 1982-present

Jesuits have attended St. Agnes from St. Francis Mission

Jesuits from St. Agnes attended the following missions among the Brulé Lakota Indians:

1975-ca. 1982 (transferred to St. Francis, St. Francis)

Sacred Heart Mission, Upper Cutmeat, Rosebud Reservation

1975-ca. 1982 (transferred to St. Francis, St. Francis)

Ss. Patrick and Bridget Mission, He Dog, Rosebud Reservation

1977-ca. 1982 (transferred to St. Francis, St. Francis)

Sacred Heart Church, Norris, Mellette County

 History of St. Ignatius Mission, White River, and Sacred Heart Church, White River:

1899-ca. 1960s (transferred to Sacred Heart, White River)

Jesuits from St. Francis, St. Francis, established and attended St. Ignatius Mission (Brulé Lakota), White River, Rosebud Reservation

1960s-1980s? (closed)

Jesuits attended St. Ignatius from Sacred Heart Church, White River

1980s-present (Native, in part)

St. Ignatius merged with Sacred Heart, which has been attended by Jesuits from St. Francis Mission, St. Francis

 History of St. Thomas the Apostle Church, Mission:

Unknown-1933

Jesuits from St. Francis Mission, St. Francis, established and attended St. Thomas the Apostle Mission (Brulé Lakota), Mission, Rosebud Reservation

1933-1982

Became a parish; Jesuits administered St. Thomas the Apostle Church

1982-present

Jesuits have attended St. Thomas from St. Francis Mission

 Jesuits from St. Thomas, Mission, attended the following Brulé Lakota Indian missions on the Rosebud Reservation:

1934-unknown (closed)

St. Theresa Mission, Hidden Timber

1934-unknown (closed)

St. Michael Mission, Carrollton

1946-unknown (closed)

Guardian Angel Chapel, Rosebud Boarding School, Rosebud

1975-1982? (transferred to St. Francis, St. Francis) (closed?)

Antelope station

1975-1982? (transferred to St. Francis, St. Francis)

St. Agnes Church, Parmelee

1975-1982? (transferred to St. Francis, St. Francis)

St. Peter Mission, Okreek

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1846-1851, 1883-ongoing

Volume: At least 2.5 cubic feet

Description: Sacramental records (e.g. baptisms, marriages, burials) for St. Francis Mission and its attended Indian parishes, missions, and stations, 1846-1881, are copies of the originals at the Jesuit Archives and Research Center, St. Louis, Missouri. Marquette University Special Collections and Archives, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, serves as the archival repository for St. Francis Mission and holds the bulk of its historical records.

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.

new1984/rev2003-2019

Archival materials from the Raynor Memorial Libraries


Marquette Archives