Volume 3: Western United States
Texas: TX-45

St. Mary’s University. Louis J. Blume Library
1 Camino Santa Maria
San Antonio, TX 78228

Phone (Research Librarians): 210-436-3508
Email: See website (Questions Ask Us)


Hours: See website  

Access: See website  

Copying facilities: Yes 


History: The Marianists established St. Mary’s University and Catholic Central High School as St. Mary’s Institute for boys and men, 1852. The High School separated, 1932, and the University became coeducational, 1963. Its campus community has included many people of Native American descent (e.g. Coahuiltecan Mestizos), 1970s-ongoing.


Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1749-ongoing, undated

Volume: Less than 1 cubic foot

Description: Within 2 record collections.


/1 University Archives

Inclusive dates: 1970s-present

Volume: Many records

Description: Records of St. Mary’s University students, faculty, and staff with Native American ancestry.


/2 “Laredo [Municipal] Archives”

Inclusive dates: 1749-1896, undated

Volume: 15 letters within 15 reels of microfilm

Description: Re: Franciscans, Jesuits, and concerns by Laredo about Comanche and Apache Indians; from St. Mary’s University Library, San Antonio, Texas.


Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.


Archival materials from the Raynor Memorial Libraries

Marquette Archives