GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 3: Western United States
Texas: TX-50

Mission San Francisco de la Espada
10040 Espada Road
San Antonio, TX 78214

Phone: 210-627-2064

 

History: Mission San Francisco de la Espada has had many parishioners of Native American descent (e.g. Coahuiltecan, Mestizos). It was first established as Mission San Francisco de los Tejas in East Texas.

1690-1731

With crucial support from Tlaxcala Indians (Tlaxcala, Mexico), Franciscans (Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe College, Zacatecas, Mexico) established and relocated the mission (Coahuiltecan) in East Texas

1731-1794

In present-day San Antonio, Franciscans administered the mission until secularized

1795-1824, 1858-1907 (closed)

Diocesan priests administered the mission (Mestizos)

1915-ca. 1920

Claretians (Western Province, Los Angeles, California) reestablished and attended the mission from San Fernando Cathedral  

ca. 1920-1967

Claretians (Western Province, Los Angeles, California) and Redemptorists (now Denver Province, Denver, Colorado) administered the mission

1967-present

Franciscans (Sacred Heart Province, St. Louis, Missouri) have administered the mission

Franciscans, diocesan priests, and Clarentians from San Francisco de la Espada attended the following missions in San Antonio:

1876-1911

San José y San Miguel Mission

1876-1994

San Jose Capistrano Mission

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1915-ongoing 

Volume: Many entries among multiple volumes 

Description: Sacramental records (e.g. baptisms, marriages, burials) for parishioners of Native American descent at San Francisco de la Espada Mission.  

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.

new2006/rev2018-2019

Archival materials from the Raynor Memorial Libraries


Marquette Archives