GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 3: Western United States
Baylor University. The Texas Collection and University Archives
One Bear Place #97142
Waco, TX 76798
Email: See website (Main page)
Hours: See website
Access: No restrictions
Copying facilities: Yes
Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:
Inclusive dates: 1730-1792, undated
Volume: 5 maps
Description: The “Texas Collection of Maps” includes the following, which note the location of missions in northern New Spain.
1. “Exploration and Settlement of Northern New Spain 1518-1776, TCM 46,” undated; re: Texas, New Mexico, California, and Florida with notations on locations of missions (Franciscans and Jesuits) and presidios
2. “San Xavier Missions, TCM 48,” 1750; re: Franciscan missions in Texas
3. “Presidio de San Antonio, TCM 47,” 1730; re: Presidio and Franciscan missions San Antonio de Valero and San Jose y San Miguel
4. “L'ancien et le nouveau Mexique avec la Floride et la Basse Louisiane, partie occidentale, TCM 43,” 1778; re: Missions (Franciscans), churches, American Indian tribes, and trails from California to the Mississippi River
5. “La Sierra Corda y costa de el Seno Mexicano Jurisdicions, TCM 49,” 1792; re: Franciscan missions and roads in Texas
Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.