GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 2: Midwest United States
Wisconsin: WI-1

Our Lady of the Lake Church. Ashland-Bayfield Counties Catholic Community
106 North Second Avenue, East
Ashland, WI 54806

Phone: 715-682-7620
Email: ollcatholicchurch@ourladycc.org

 

History: Our Lady of the Lake Church and School, Ashland, Ashland and Bayfield Counties, Wisconsin, has been a predominantly non-Native American parish in the Diocese of Superior (Archives: Superior, Wisconsin). Our Lady of the Lake was formed through the merger of two parishes, one of which was St. Agnes Church, Ashland, which had some Ojibwa Indian parishioners.

St. Agnes Church, Ashland:

1872-1886

La Crosse Diocesan priests at Christ Church, Bayfield, attended first Ashland station and then St. Agnes Mission, Ashland

1886-1990 (Ojibwa, in part, to 1910s)

Franciscans (Sacred Heart Province) (Archives: St. Louis, Missouri) administered St. Agnes

1990-present

Franciscans have administered Our Lady of the Lake Church and School, Ashland

Franciscans at St. Agnes attended these missions and stations among the Ojibwa Indians:

1886-1894 (became a mission)

Lac du Flambeau Reservation station

1892-1899 (transferred to St. Louis, Washburn)

Drummond station

1892-1918 (transferred to St. Francis Solanus, Reserve)

Holy Angels Mission, Mud Lake

1894-1903 (no longer Native)

Yellow Lake station

1894-1904 (became a mission)

Trade River station

1894-1905 (transferred to St. Mary's, Bruce)

St. Joseph Mission, Bellilfalls

1894-1906 (transferred to St. Mary of Good Counsel, Solon Springs)

St. Mary of the Angels Mission, Gordon

1894-1906 (became a parish)

St. Mary of Good Counsel Mission, Solon Springs/ White Birch

1894-1918 (transferred to St. Francis Solanus, Reserve)

St. Anthony of Padua Mission, Lac du Flambeau, Lac du Flambeau Reservation

1894-1918 (transferred to St. Francis Solanus, Reserve)

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Mission, Mouth of Yellow River

1894-1918 (became a parish)

St. Francis Solanus Mission, Reserve, Lac Courte Oreilles Reservation

1894-1922 (transferred to St. Francis Solanus, Reserve)

St. Anthony of Padua Mission, Pakwawong, Lac Courte Oreilles Reservation

1895 (transferred to St. Francis Solanus, Reserve)

St. Joseph Mission, Lac du Flambeau, Lac du Flambeau Reservation

1895-1899 (closed)

Apple River station

1895-1906 (closed)

Wolf’s Creek station

1895-1910 (closed)

Bashaw station

1897-1908 (transferred to Holy Family, Bayfield) 

Balsam Lake station

1897-1910 (became a mission)

Springbrook station

1899-1904 (closed)

Eureka station

1899-1905 (transferred to St. Mary's, Cumberland)

Clam Falls station

1899-1906 (closed)

Superior Junction station

1902-1912 (transferred to St. Joseph's, Hayward)

Hayward Government Indian School, Hayward

1904-1906 (closed)

Luck station

1904-1910 (closed)

Loon Lake station

1904-1910 (closed)

Sacred Heart Mission, Trade River

1905-1910 (closed) 

Arbuckle station

1910-1912 (transferred to St. Joseph's, Hayward)

St. Mary Magdalene Mission, Springbrook

St. Mary’s/ Our Lady of Seven Dolors Mission, Odanah, Bad River Reservation:

1855-1860

Rev. Augustu Van Parmel from St. Joseph Church, La Pointe, visited the Bad River Reservation (Ojibwa)

1860-1886

Diocesan priests (Milwaukee to 1868, then La Crosse Diocese) at Christ Church, Bayfield, attended first the Bad River Reservation station and then St. Mary/ Our Lady of Seven Dolors Mission, Odanah, Bad River Reservation

1883-1969 (closed)

Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration (Archives: La Crosse, Wisconsin) administered and staffed St. Mary School, Odanah

1886-1954

Franciscans (Sacred Heart Province) (Archives: St. Louis, Missouri) at St. Agnes attended St. Mary/ Our Lady of Seven Dolors Mission

1954-1969

Franciscans from St. Mary/ Our Lady of Seven Dolors Church administered St. Mary's

1969-1977

Franciscans from St. Agnes attended St. Mary’s

1977-1990s

Superior diocesan priests at St. Anthony of Padua, Lac du Flambeau, attended St. Mary’s

1990s-present

Franciscans at Our Lady of the Lake, Ashland, have attended St. Mary’s

 

Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:

Inclusive dates: 1884-ongoing, undated

Volume: Over 1.6 cubic feet

Description: When reviewed by a Marquette University archivist, 1980, the records at St. Agnes Church were not arranged according to a classification scheme. Consequently, the records are described by record type.

 

/1 Sacramental records

Inclusive dates: 1884-ongoing

Volume: 1.5 cubic feet

Description: Records (e.g. baptisms, marriages, burials):

A. Ashland, Our Lady of the Lake Church, 1990-present, few volumes

B. Ashland, St. Agnes Church, 1886-1990, several volumes: for St. Agnes and its Indian missions and stations

C. Odanah, St. Mary/ Our Lady of Seven Dolors Mission, 1884-present, 11 volumes: baptisms, marriages, and deaths, 1884-present; first communions, 1899-present; confirmations, 1898-present

 

/2 Historical notes

Inclusive dates: 1930s-1970s, undated

Volume: 2 folders

Description:

A. Works Progress Administration Indian Research Project, 1936-1940, comprised of Bad River Indian Reservation oral history recollections compiled by student of St. Mary School under the direction of Sister Macaria Murphy, F.S.P.A.; includes the origin of the Dream Dance (Big Drum) religion with the vision by Wiyaka Sinte Win (Tail Feather Woman) (Dakota) after 1862. The Marquette University Archives borrowed and copied the project records as the W.P.A. Indian Research Project Collection; two reels of microfilm; see Marquette Archives, Search the Collections for more information.

B. Excerpts from "Indian Missions of the Lake Superior Region" by Rev. Chrysostom Verwyst, O.F.M., a biographical sketch of Rev. John Gafron, O.F.M., by Rev. Casimir Vogt, O.F.M., and clippings regarding missions among Native Americans in northern Wisconsin.

 

/3 Photographs

Inclusive dates: 1960s-1970s

Volume: 40 prints

Description: Prints of St. Mary Mission, Odanah, and St. Agnes Church, Ashland.

 

Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.

new1984/rev2006-2020